AmbiantAir
Topic Author

Registered Traveller System

Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:39 am

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040621-650695,00.html

Aviation sources tell Time that this week the TSA will announce the launch of a three-month trial of its Registered Traveler program, which will start at five airports, beginning in Minneapolis—St. Paul and then in other cities, including Los Angeles and Houston. A sort of fast track for frequent flyers, the program aims to let approved passengers use less crowded lanes to the security checkpoints and possibly avoid such routine security measures as removing their shoes and coats. To gain that privilege, passengers must submit to an extensive background check, including searches of commercial and government databases. After being approved and paying a small annual fee (yet to be determined), they would be issued a card—containing a biometric identifier (a fingerprint, for example) and personal data—that shows they're entitled to the special security treatment.

Anyone going for this? Anyone think its going to work or even remotely ease security traffic?

contrails

RE: Registered Traveller System

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:23 pm

I was enthusiastic about this idea a few years ago, but now I'm not sure if I want in on this or not. When and if I get an invitation I'll study everything and make a decision. There's a lot more to consider than just convenience at the airport.

Flying Colors Forever!