Jalto27R
Topic Author

Scanners On Aircrafts?

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:59 am

Hi guys,
I wanted to know if anyone had tried to use a scanner on/during their commercial flight. I am flying FL PHL-TPA and the FL ATL-PHL back. So I guess I would particulary need info on FL's tolerance of scanners onboard. Thanks for the info.

Mike

md80fanatic

RE: Scanners On Aircrafts?

Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:04 am

What could be wrong? Scanners emit ZERO signal, they are recievers only. If they tell you otherwise, they are ignorant of their operation.

INNflight

Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:17 am

Put it into your pocket and use it with headphones, should not be a problem.

regards, Florian
Jet Visuals

Fly2HMO

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:11 am

Please tell us if you hear anything.

I read another thread regarding scanners that you can't hear anything on board the aircraft, but I say thats bull... Why wouldn't you hear anything if you're SITTING on the transmitter?!?!

Do take it with you but don't make it obvious that you are using a scanner and don't ask if you can use it either, you'll only get a no.

[Edited 2004-06-14 21:14:08]

JAL777

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:17 am

They work fine. Although constantly changing frequencies (if your following your particular flight) gets annoying.

dc-10 levo

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:27 am

I'm flying to Spain in July and really want to take my scanner onboard but I just think that something is going to happen. Wouldn't it be embarrassing if the pilot came on the PA and said "Would the person sitting in seat 6A please turn off their airband scanner!" Big grin

DC-10

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:33 am

Thanks for the replies. I fly on the 26th of this month, and come back on the 6th of July. I can't wait, and I want to track the flight the whole way through, so you know exactly what is going on. I will be ok with switching frequencies when we leave and come into PHL cause that's all that is programmed into my scanner. Just hope I hear everything clearly cause if I miss one word it could be the end.

Mike

jamotcx

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:45 am

I tried my scanner a few years ago and all I got was interference from the moment the engines started.

Jamo

EMBQA

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:54 am

First, read one of the 30 or so other posts on this same topic..they should answer your questions. As for not hearing anything, there is some truth to that.... Once airborne, communication becomes quite rare..and even then very short.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

air2gxs

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:56 am

Scanners, as do all electronic devices, emit radio waves. If you read the instructions that came with your scanner you will probably find a statement that reads something like this: "... This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications..."

This is why their use is prohibited on aircraft. Don't get me wrong, the chance that the low emissions from a scanner will interfere with a properly working communications and/or navigation system are slim. Do you really want to take a chance, just so you can listen to pilots talk to controllers?

dbo861

Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:59 am

As a pilot(private pilot of Cessna 172s), I can tell you that the small receivers don't interfere at all with the avionics on a small single engine aircraft. My friend has one and he let me borrow it one time just for the hell of it. I wanted to know how it worked in the plane, and I didn't have any problems. My friend carries it with him whenever he flies as a precaution incase of lost communication. One of my friends has even used his cell phone in the plane while he was flying and THAT didn't even interfere with the radios(I wouldn't recommend using your phone while flying, but my friend isn't the brightest). Now, I'm not familiar with the avionics of the larger jet liners, but if it doesn't interfere with the radios on a small plane, I don't see why it would interfere with the radio signals of a bigger plane. I think the only problem would be knowing the frequency to be on...unless you knew the center frequency of where the plane currently is.

Victor Hotel

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:27 am

Dbo861 its not necessarily the radios that they expect will be interfered with by phones etc, on larger aircraft there is a lot of other devices that can get interference such as computers etc. I fly GA aircraft at the moment and always carry my phone with me (when I remember) as its a lot easier if you get a radio failure to call the tower than to do the whole radio failure procedure. It doesn't hurt any of my radios or transponder, as that is about the only electronic equipment other than ILS, ADF, and VOR, it is actually a suggested thing to take a phone with you and I have known several people who have had to use their phone. I wouldn't suggest it though once you start getting more advanced systems on the plane, I know of a story where a passenger had a phone on in a GA aircraft and the pilot couldn't get his GPS to work, when the pax said I wonder if it is my phone and after switching his phone off the GPS worked fine.
VH

Victor Hotel

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:55 am

I forgot to mention I have tried using my scanner whilst on the ground on an airliner, and was unable to pick up anything other than our own aircrafts transmissions.
VH

iowaman

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:11 am

I used mine on Allegiant from DSM-LAS last week, didn't pick up anything, I turned it on over DEN.

waketurbulence

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:36 am

I used mine on my AA flight from LAX to BOS. I picked up all of our ground movements, and our TO clearance. After that with the roar of the engines I had trouble getting anything on any freq. Just be discrete when using it.
-Matt

320tech

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:44 am

Dbo861

One of my friends has even used his cell phone in the plane while he was flying and THAT didn't even interfere with the radios(I wouldn't recommend using your phone while flying, but my friend isn't the brightest)

Hey!!

It generally doesn't cause a problem to use cell phones in an aircraft. I have done so on several occasions, and still consider myself fairly bright  Smile. In Canada, cell phone use is not prohibited in aircraft, but the airlines still make the announcement not to use them. I understand it can cause a bit off havoc with the ground based cellular system.

It's hard to say what electronic devices will cause problems, because almost all of them transmit a little bit. I was walking past a couple of avionics guys, who were doing some kind of transponder test. I had my very small and insignificant looking MP3 player operating, and it pooched their test.

Nevertheless, it's likely that using a scanner will not create any problems.

The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:55 am

So what do you guys mean by the "roaring of the engines"? I plan on using headphones and I could just turn the volume up. Any other stories would be helpful. Thanks

Mike

dbo861

Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:42 am

"It generally doesn't cause a problem to use cell phones in an aircraft. I have done so on several occasions, and still consider myself fairly bright"

Well, my friend was the PIC...

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:42 am

So, does anyone have a definite answer on whether or not they work? And I still don't understand what you guys mean by "the roars of the engines" causing bad reception. Thanks

Mike

goboeing

Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:45 am

They work, but you won't be able to hear ATC much if at all. You'll hear the pilots of your own plane and maybe no others.

Nick

mikedlayer

Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:29 am

I wouldn't mind following my flight from LHR-MAN-LHR or maybe LHR-AGP-LHR later in the summer. I've always wondered why and how such a small reciever with no transmitting capabilities would be able to practically disengage radio or navigaitonal equipment. Surly it can't be emitting such a wave to do this?

I might try mine when I fly up to MAN in a few weeks time and see what I can pick up.

Mike

dc-10 levo

Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:55 am

Thanks for the replies! I'm still unsure of whether to take it with me or not.

Do you really want to take a chance, just so you can listen to pilots talk to controllers?

I'm really not sure.

DC-10

goingboeing

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:12 am

Yeah...who really cares if almost every airline states that use of AM/FM radios is prohibited in flight...in case you're curious, check out where the FM band ends and the Air band begins...go ahead and use the scanners despite the airlines expressed prohibition of their use while in flight on one of their aircraft. After all...we're enthusiasts...the rules don't apply to us.

Jalto27R
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:11 am

GoingBoeing,
Calm down buddy. I was just curious. You don't need to go all crazy sarcastic on me.

Mike

iakobos

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:04 pm

In a receiver, the local oscillator (they can be two, three or even four such stages) produces a signal which, when mixed with the signal coming from the antenna results in the Intermediate Frequency, where amplification takes place and leads to the detection stage and conversion into the audible part of the frequency spectrum.
Radio Frequency - Local Oscillator Freqency = Intermediate Frequency.

Two conclusions: the LO signal can fall inside the VHF airband, a typical example would be RF 133.200 - LO 121.500 = IF 11.700; the said LO signal is in the milliVolt range, the LO (and IF) circuit are located inside a metal shield, itself inside the receiver's enclosure. Even with a spectrum analyzer located right next to the receiver, the radiated level of the LO signal is very weak (in the order of the microVolt, a millionth of 1 Volt)
No chance it can produce anything that might interfere.

On the receiver's performance side in an aircraft environment, unless you are in the cockpit or have a window seat, you will not be able to hear much.