geoffm

Q About Emergency Exit Rows

Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:03 am

On widebodies, I've seen people incapable of operating emergency exit doors in the middle seats on more than a couple of occasions. Is that section of the row exempt from the regulations? I'm talking about, for example, seats D/E/F/G on a 747. Babies in skycots, kids, that sort of thing. Also, on an easyJet 737 some pushy couple asked me to move from 1F (or whatever the front row right hand seat is) so they could have "more room with their baby".

Cheers

Geoff M.

iairallie

RE: Q About Emergency Exit Rows

Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:06 am

Excellent question the only 2 widebody a/c I've ever worked had galleys in the midsection between emergency exits so that was never an issue.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

geoffm

Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:50 pm

Good point, I think most of the ones I've seen have galleys or bathrooms opposite the doors, too.

Geoff M.

Sammyhostie

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:01 pm

Hiya,

The ABPS only have to be seated on the seats directly next to the exit, and the seat either side of the aisles.,

So i.e............

L1-----R1
xxx x x xxx

The X seats would be the ABP seats, but not the blank spaces.
Working on the ABCDEFGHJ,

ABCDJKLM would be ABP seats.

(And before anyone observes, I do know the alphabet, but this is the config we use mostly!)

sky0000547

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:24 pm

I was recently on a Virgin A346 with a 2x4x2 (ACxDEFGxHK) seating configuration. One 'H' seat directly adjacent to the emergency exit was not occupied and one of the crew asked a passenger if he could occupy that 'H' seat just for take-off and landing.

Happy Flying  Smile

EKFirstClass

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:32 pm

The general rule is that the seats next to the emergency exit shouldn't be occupied for take off and landing by: invalids, children, people carrying children or infants on their lap, deportees or drunk people. The middle seats (DEFG) on widebodies are usually reserved for people with small children/ infants because that space can be fitted with baby bassinets.
In case the seats next to the emergency exit are allocated to the categories I mentioned earlier, the rule is to swap for take off and landing with somebody else.
Cheers!

Sammyhostie

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:40 pm

Thats right EK,

The criteria for an ABP is:-

Over 14
Travelling alone (as in not with children)
Can Speak English
Is willing to help in an emergency
Is able bodied
Not BLND, PHOH, WCHR
Not a deportee

EKFirstClass

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:44 pm

I forgot about the blind people Sammyhostie! Thanks for that!

debonair

Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:28 pm

well, this is very intereting... I am in flight savety the last ten years and I saw different versions...

...some Airlines require 3 other only 2 passengers per EXIT
...some Airlines require on the (e.g.) B737 only fit passengers in the first row +overwing; other carrier demanding fit passengers in the front AND last row + overwing
...some carrier operate with a MINIMUM 16 yrs. limit
...some carrier call their ABP instead PSP-Pre Selected Person
...most carrier operate with the policy, that family can fly in row one, if there is a bulkhead!, but have to stow for take off and landing EVERYTHING in the bins
...some carrier uses the last row as normal seats, but for emergencys, these passengers have to move away and switched for more reasonable ABP
...some airlines have the policy to operate all exit with at least ONE passenger, other doesn't...
...some airlines will give you prior to depature a personal lessing-hour, how to open the exit and how to behave, other doesen't

and on, and on, and on... (I can talk about this for hours... Big grin)

>> You see, it depents on the airline AND their national authorities  Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos