cmb320

Air New Zealand Or Qantas?

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:00 am

Which airline is better (reasons, please) to fly first class from LAX to SYD?

Thanks for your help,
Cody in SAT

roseflyer

RE: Air New Zealand Or Qantas?

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:36 am

First of all NZ pulled out of LAX-SYD nonstop a while ago, so NZ would require a connection in AKL. I flew NZ F class last December, and was not impressed in comparison to UA and others. The seats are extremely old and are strictly mechanical with two buttons (footrest and recline). The seats were mostly flat, and pitch was good and there was IFE, but they were not comfortable for sleeping. You are at a funny angle because it does not recline to flat, but rather a slightly downward sloping leg rest and back rest, with an oppositely sloped seat cushion. I prefer the more modern style of seats that QF offers even though I haven't flown QF.

NZ service is very good though. The food was absolutely delicious with 4 entree selections for the 6 passengers in F class. The loads NZ has in first class are low (one of the reasons why they are removing F class) so you will probably get some extra space of having the seat next to you open. There are two flight attendants for the 12 seats in the nose of the 747. The service is always good and pleasant as you would expect from the Kiwis.

Overall I would go with Qantas because they offer better seats and service should be good (I have never flown them in First class) and they will be more convenient as well as have better comfort for sleeping on the night flight. Business and economy might be different, but NZ has a poor first class section. Check out some of the trip reports, they can be helpful.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/28986/6/
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

StearmanNut

Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:06 am

QANTAS QANTAS QANTAS!! Same price, better service. Queensland and Northern Terrtories Air Service.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...

Motorhussy

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:17 pm

As a big NZ fan I'd have to, unfortunately, say QF. Their first class longhaul product is superior because of their modern cabin configuration, ammenities, cabin et al. However, unlike Reply # 2, I believe NZ wins hands down on cabin service, food and wine. The people are why people keep coming back.

And soon the longhaul cabins' makeover is going to be revealed with significant changes to those of premium classes. The great thing about making major changes after the others, is that you can do it better.

IMHO of course
MH
come visit the south pacific

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos