toddy333

New Low Cost Airline 'hop'?

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:33 am

a couple of months ago there were articles on tv news and in the papers, about a new airline called 'hop', aiming to 'americanise' air travel within britain, offereing 'greyhound' style services in the air... a new low cost domestic airline. in the news it said routes would be announced in may..but have heard nothing as of yet...anyone else heard about this?

voodoo

RE: New Low Cost Airline 'hop'?

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:35 am

Yes... I think they plan(ned) to use ATRs and operate out of smaller places like Norwich etc. Their competition would be trains and buses rather than other airlines.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

ScottishLaddie

Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:55 am

The venture failed. Didn't get funding/backing.
Shame, I liked the sound of the idea.

FJWH

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:29 am

"Hop" ...........The name says it all..... That's why the didn't get a funding/backing ScottishLaddie!

What an UGLY name

FJWH  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

whitehatter

Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:52 am

The name means SFA. Ryanair is hardly the sort of name you would immediately associate with being a pan-European scheduled carrier after all.

Hop's business model was obviously flawed which is why nothing happened.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Pe@rson

Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:27 am

There's a lot of potential from smaller UK airports, so long as they operate primarily on domestic flights. For example, there's Oxford - which could support flights to GLA, EDI, BHD and DUB; there's Chester - which could support flights to EDI, BHD, DUB and, possibly, GLA; there's Carlisle - which could probably support flights to LGW, BHD and DUB; there's Robin Hood - which could possibly support flights to EDI, GLA, DUB, LGW; there's Norwich - which could possibly support flights to DUB, BHD and GLA; and so on. All of these would have to be operated on at least a twice-daily basis to be worthwhile, and on a low-cost, no-frills basis using a smaller, cost-efficient aircraft, like the AT4. In addition, AMS and CDG could be served from Chester, and possibly from Robin Hood and Oxford, while Norwich could have a CDG link........
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:06 am

So would the regionals be Skip and Jump????