flymunich

Lufthansa: Munich Or Frankfurt?

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:10 pm

Lufthansa hopes to gain competitive advantage with A380s
Dateline: Friday June 18, 2004

Lufthansa Group Chairman and CEO Wolfgang Mayrhuber believes his airline will enjoy a significant competitive advantage when its A380s begin arriving in a few years.

LH has ordered 15 plus 15 options. "I believe on the trunk routes to our hubs at Frankfurt and Munich, other carriers with smaller airplanes on the same sector will have to reduce their capacity," Mayrhuber explaned to ATWOnline during a Star Alliance meeting in Singapore. "The A380 offers 25% less production costs compared to A340s, 17% less compared to 747s. Other carriers cannot maintain against our A380s."
He also believes that with its lower seat-mile costs, Lufthansa will be able to charge less for a ticket should it become necessary.

Frankfurt Airport already is able to handle the 555-seater but LH wants to rebuild some gates to deliver "a more passenger-friendly boarding" process. The A380s also may be deployed at Munich, the fastet-growing hub anywhere in Europe, where LH this summer is offering 2,300 weekly flights to 100 destinations--50% more than in summer 2003. At Munich, "we could bring all our new capacity on the market without losing yield," Mayrhuber added.

TriStar500

RE: Lufthansa: Munich Or Frankfurt?

Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:50 pm

If I take the airside capacity restrains in F R A into account, which will last at least until a new fourth runway will be opened in 2009/10 (IF it will eventually be built), I have my doubts that F R A will not see the majority of LH'S A380 operations.

It should be clear, however, that Lufthansa's main growth will most likely occur in MUC in the meantime. If you compare the traffic figures for these two hubs, MUC has still a long way to go until it reaches the same importance like F R A.

BTW - you forgot to mention whether the A380's will have PTV's installed for our a.net teeny bopper fraction. Big grin

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

fraT

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:18 pm

I think that most 380s will be stationed in F R A. It is a good possibility to increase pax numbers without adding slots.

wdleiser

Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:47 am

"If I take the airside capacity restrains in F R A into account, which will last at least until a new fourth runway will be opened in 2009/10 (IF it will eventually be built), I have my doubts that F R A will not see the majority of LH'S A380 operations.

It should be clear, however, that Lufthansa's main growth will most likely occur in MUC in the meantime. If you compare the traffic figures for these two hubs, MUC has still a long way to go until it reaches the same importance like F R A.

BTW - you forgot to mention whether the A380's will have PTV's installed for our a.net teeny bopper fraction "

Frankfurt is getting the Airbase back from the USA in 2006/2007. I am very sad about this too because my plan was to Join Airforce, fly C17's at Rhein/Main and learn German, fly for Lufthansa and eventually captain their A380.
Now when I join Airforce I will have to go with Rammstein.

And of course, Knowing its Lufthansa, as of right now we could all make a good bet that they wont have PTV's =)

airconti

Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:08 am

Well, from my point of view, LH might easily move long-range ops from AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA to MUC - mainly by a change from 747 to A34x,their Main Hub is still AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA - therefore I cannot imagine, we will see regular services of A380 in MUC. We still have no regular LH B744 Service in MUC - so there's no sense to upgrade to A380.
I think, LH will move some services from AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA to MUC for addl. Slots for A380 in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA.
OTOH-all bepends on the legal story with having A380 maintenance in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA or MUC - if court says AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA is out of bounds, the situation for MUC might be different.....

VS11

Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:23 am

I am no fan of LH but I will admit it that their strategy to develop MUC is a very smart one, and will make LH bigger and stronger. Unlike British Airways who are constrained at LHR, which stifles their growth, LH dealt with the problem of bottleneck airport in a radical and succesful way. LH is a boring airline to fly but it is smartly run - can't deny it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Regards,
vs11

TS-IOR

Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:25 pm

Palma de Mallorca (PMI) and Antalya (AYT) should get ready for the A380...

steph001

Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:29 pm

I guess the A380 will replace some B747 on the routes where they have exceeding demand. This could mean that LH locates the A380 there where it has the B747. I don't know whether some of Lufthansa's B747 are stationed in MUC, but it is for sure that they are extending the hangars in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA to allow for the A380. My guess is thus that the A380 will be stationed in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA, at least for the beginning. This could also mean that MUC will get some B747 from AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA.

TS-IOR

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:05 pm

AFAIK,Lufthansa does not operate 747s out of MUC and so it does not need to base any there.B747s fly out of Frankfurt only.

RayChuang

Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:30 am

I think the route between AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA and SFO will be switched to the A380-800 as soon as there are enough planes to cover this route. Ever try to get a ticket on this route? Good luck!  Smile And that's with LH flying the 747-400, too.

mucflyer

Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:37 pm

Sorry, pax or yield isn't the point. One of the most important reasons for LH to cut the B744 flights out of Munich, was the fact that LH wanted to base only Cockpit Crews for the Airbus Family in Munich.
(MUC-LAX and MUC-SFO with B744 according passenger load was very successful in the past. The A340-600 now to SFO -just 45 seats less than the B744- is also always full or almost full)
For B744 longdistance flights out of Munich, Crews had to proceed 'dead head' the day before departure in MUC from Frankfurt to Munich with an overnight in the hotel, dueto duty times. Just to expensive.
There are severals scenarios which have been discussed for the future:
One of them ist to base also some of the new A380 in Munich because there will be no problems with cockpit and cabin crews.
Another one is to base all A380 in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA, and change several longhaul flights to B744 out of MUC, together with cockpit crews which have to be based in MUC.

We will see, but i am very sure that some routes will operate with an A380 out of Munich in the future. Don't forget... Munich was the FIRST Airport in Europe with an fully certificate for the A380 operation  Big grin
And Mr. Kerkloh the chairman of Munich Airport offers Lufthansa the possibility to become quick and easily a brand new or an remodeled Hangar for the A380  Smile
but for sure... AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA wil see the most A380 flights

regards

luxair66

Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:33 am

I flew in and out of Munich every week during the second half of 2003, I never saw a single LH 744 the whole time I was there. Plenty of A340's though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos