tcfc424

Gordon Bethune

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:17 pm

All of the posts about carriers (possibly) folding or needing new management and the insert there of the turnaround experienced at CO have driven me to start a new thread. Gordon Bethune, the current (and outgoing) CEO of Continental Airlines has been named in many posts as the save-all for the aviation industry. True, he did turn a carrier, in dire straights, into a profitable and service oriented airline. Just out of curiosity, what are YOUR thoughts on the man behind the myth and the legend?

leelaw

RE: Gordon Bethune

Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:24 pm

Don't know much about him, haven't read his book, but he must have a terrific press agent!  Yawn
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:41 pm

*cough* Greg Brenneman! *cough cough*

Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Alpha 1

Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:13 am

*cough* Greg Brenneman! *cough cough*

An over-simplification, CondordeBoy. Greg was a big part of it, no doubt, but Gordon deserves the lions' share of the credit-he brought in Greg, and guys like Larry Kellner, to run the operations and financial side. He has a keen eye for talented people, and he uses them well. CO has fared pretty well in tough times without Greg. As much as I liked Greg, I don't know how much better off CO could be right now in this brutal climate (although events did justify his view in not buying back all that stock from NW. That money would have helped, but that's hindsight).

Gordo is no saint, but he has a clear vision, and he's smart enough to let his subordinates and employees, who can see what works, do their jobs and not interfere unless he feels he must.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:47 am

The man is nothing short of a genius!

BETHUNE 2004
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

maiznblu_757

Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:49 am

Bethune for President!

greatansett

Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:53 am

He was placed in a situation that suited him (the airline industry) and did a great job of turning things around. As much as he is a great CEO he turned CO around from a very different situation then what most airlines face today. The airline was to cheap (pizza). If CO was in that situation now I very much doubt that he could save the airline.

Just my opinion.
Ron Paul 2012

airways6max

Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:17 am

Gordon Bethune did a lot to turn Continental around and I salute his achievements. It's clear that he has a good sense of timing and a good idea of his abilities and is not afraid to know when he's been at a post long enough and to say 'time to go'. I wish him well in retirement.

greatansett

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:13 pm

Didn't David Segeil who used to be head of US be part of CO?
Ron Paul 2012

kith

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:51 pm

Bethune is a hell of an airline CEO, but too bad he's still a Texan (ahh the northern elitism). Yes yes, he did have great people working for him but it takes a special person to spot the talent and use it right. I read his book, and I read kelleher's and his was better. Perhaps its just because im biased for CO as they were my first flight in an ATR-42 ITH-EWR. I think he did an amazing job and has helped CO weather the bad very well. Yet he couldn't have done it without the help of the unions/employees. Though he is a bit of a hard ass (in the book he says he threatened to use a shotgun on employees). haha whatever works! -Matt in KITH

jetdeltamsy

Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:55 pm

Gordon is no genius. He simply applied good business practices to a business in distress. The public responded. The employees responded. Investors responded. It's all good for Continental. I forsee a merger in their future. It's been nice to watch the corporation mature.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.