Qantasclub
Topic Author

Why Did SQ Pull Out Of Pakistan?

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:04 pm

Just a quick question: Why did SQ pull out of Pakistan? Was is because of security concerns? It certainly wouldn't have because of low yields-my parents lived there for several years in Karachi and always flew with SQ and ALL their flights were usually packed to the brim. (not hard to understand when you're up against PIA as your only competition!)
With continuing tensions is Riyadh/the middle east, I wonder if any other airlines have pulled out of muslim countries because of instability.

Long Haul is the only way to go

QANTAS077

RE: Why Did SQ Pull Out Of Pakistan?

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:08 pm

security concerns and the war in Afghanistan were the main reasons, have they resumed to Karachi or Lahore?

Milesdependent

Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:21 pm

I remember reading an article about SQ (or maybe it was CX) and it was saying that air freight was the profitable business in/out of Pakistan. Basically saying the pax traffic was all low-yield but they made a bundle out of air freight which included a lot of fresh produce.

changyou

Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:23 pm

It was since the bombing incident a couple of years ago that SQ stopped Karachi and Lahore completely until now. Basically it was security reasons that SQ suspended their flights. There are no news that they're reinstating the flights.

yyz717

Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:24 am

Security concerns are a convenient excuse. It always comes down to profit. If Pakistan was a high yield market, SQ would still fly there.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

targowski

Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:49 am

i have heard that several asian and european carriers are resuming pakistan service, including SQ. could someone in the know verify this? there is nothing about it on the SQ site. BA resumed islamabad service recently, and i think LH is going to be back in pakistan shortly. PIA is simply making too much money on european and north american service. everyone else is getting hungry.

also, wondering now that EK (which flies from DXB to pakistan with significant frequency) is going nonstop from JFK and (as of next year) SFO, how this will effect everyone else's pakistan business. (i have heard PIA will do a pakistan-california service with a stop over in NRT or china).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos