petazulu

Percentage Of American's Who Have Flown

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:01 am

What percentage of American citizens have been on a plane? I guess well north of 80%- although I could be way off. Is there a good place to find that info?
How about he world? Europe. I am not so much interested in the total number of passenger/ US Citizens. I am more interested in the number of people who have never taken an airplane.

prosa

RE: Percentage Of American's Who Have Flown

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:21 am

I vaguely recall that it was something about 80%, maybe a little more.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

daumueller

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:29 am

sounds too much for me... think of all the poor... I don't think, that 80% of the american citizens got the money or flying.

also: if you make a difference of how many americans who have been outside america (therefore fly international), the number shrinks again excessively...

petazulu

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:35 am

Daumueller,

You make it sound as if the US was really backward! You may not also be aware the flying is quite cheap in some areas. What would be your guess for Germany?

I agree with you about flying across borders- the number would be only a tiny fraction of the total number of people who have taken a plane- but remember that you can fly for 5 hours srtaight in the mainland US and still be in the same country. Many more if you include Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Alaska. etc.

San Juan/ Juneau Alaska nonstop would take forever! lol.

Starlionblue

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:49 am

But always remember:

Just a pet peeve  Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

767-332ER

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:09 am

Daumueller, you make it sound as this country is loaded with poor people. First of all, this country has an expanse that is extremely large and has the most extensive routing system of any country in the world. You can fly routes that are 5 hrs and more and some that are 15 mins or less...airtravel is a very important part of the UNited States' way of life and of transporting our people, just as trains are in Europe. So take the important factors into consideration and I think that your statement as to how many people have flown across borders was a bit out-of-line as in trying to imply that Americans simply don't get around the world. Let's try to look at what the man is asking and stick to it and not bring in any sort of biases that we may have, ok?
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

mdsh00

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:17 am

Thats very ignorant of you Daumueller.

Fact is that air travel is the most important mode of long distance travel for most Americans. Therefore it is not very expensive to fly in borders.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

sk945

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:26 am

It's all come down to how you count. 80% seams very much.
I would guess for Sweden it's around 50%. When you take in consideration that a large part of the population are children and old people, that might not have taken a flight.

PHLBOS

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:28 am

Does that 80% figure account make a distinction between those who have flown only once vs. those who have flown more often?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

star_world

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:33 am

There's an article on this page http://www.aviationtoday.com/reports/2000gallup.htm that says 83% have flown on commercial airlines, this was in 1999 / 2000 though.

star_world

Pearyland

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:35 am

If the low prices in Europe will continue, everybody has flown on a plane until 2005  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Just kidding

PHLBOS

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:40 am

If the low prices in Europe will continue...

I read in a recent Philadelphia Inquirer article that European LCCs are the main reason why the Chunnel train may be facing bankrupcy within the next 2 years.

If I can still locate the article-link, I will post it.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

United Airline

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:41 am

Most people have in USA I guess???? USA is the world's largest aviation market and the world's largest economy.

What about Asia? Cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore etc etc?

PHLBOS

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:43 am

767-332ER

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:07 am

SK945,

Consider that the 20% that haven't flown in the United States is about 60 million people, which is why we are arguing that it is about 80% of the population in the U.S. that have flown on airplanes. So that 60 million you can figure your older people and children and there again, the "economically unfit to fly."
Regards

elwood64151

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:32 am

sounds too much for me... think of all the poor... I don't think, that 80% of the american citizens got the money or flying.

Even some of the poorest people I've met have flown at some point in their lifetime. When you can fly JFK-LAX for $99 o/w to visit grandma, flight is within reach of even the poorest members of our society.

Does that 80% figure account make a distinction between those who have flown only once vs. those who have flown more often?

No. I doubt 80% of people in the US fly more than once a year, if that. But for the number of people who have been on a plane that sounds about right.

So that 60 million you can figure your older people and children and there again, the "economically unfit to fly."

Further, I don't know how many of you flew before your 12th birthday, but I flew just after my 11th, with mom in tow, of course. I've also booked travel for many a UNAM and even put a few on the plane. Just because someone is young or old doesn't mean they haven't flown. I think it breaks down more on ideological lines (not religious ones). People who want to travel and "see the world" (or at least the country) will fly. People who stick to one part of the country their whole lives and never leave, they don't fly.

I think the 80% number is probably a pretty good guess. For people who travel on a regular basis (more than once a year), maybe 35-40%. For people who have travelled internationally by air, I'd say the number is probably getting down to 20-30%, though it could be more than that. That still represents 60-90 million people, though.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

Starlionblue

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:38 am

I read in a recent Philadelphia Inquirer article that European LCCs are the main reason why the Chunnel train may be facing bankrupcy within the next 2 years.

Probably not the only reason. This would be the second bankruptcy then, and the first one was pre-LCC.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

FLY2LIM

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:53 am

I heard (don't quote me) that the Chunnel was so costly to make that it would never recover the original cost of building.

As far as the thread, it's a miracle that Greyhound and Amtrak are still in business given how easy it is to travel from most cities to most cities in the US.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

daumueller

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:54 am

folks, I'm aware of the way, people fly within the USA - if been there so many times that this is not a factor... further, it was not meant as an offense so don't regard it as something anti-american. I don't think the rate within germany or europe is higher. I just don't think that 4 out of 5 people have been on a plane... ok, maybe once but certainly not on a regular basis...

just my two cents...

SonOfACaptain

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:00 am

Hey Daumueller, I knew you weren't bashing America. I get what you were trying to say, and I too was even surprise of how many people have flown. But that is the result of low fares, and when you think about it does make sense.
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

elwood64151

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:05 am

As far as the thread, it's a miracle that Greyhound and Amtrak are still in business given how easy it is to travel from most cities to most cities in the US.

Actually, Greyhound has figured out a pretty good business model to make travel available to people who still can't afford to fly, or who can't afford to fly on a regular basis. Let's face it: $69 r/t is a pretty good deal, even if it takes 3 days to go from Norfolk to Kansas City (you don't pay hotels, only for food, because you sleep on the bus!).

AmTrak is subsidized by the government, so that explains that.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

sk945

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:08 am

767-332ER,
It dosen't matter if its 60 milion or 1 milion. With US population, how many are children between 0-6 years? It's the percentage I thougt were a bit high. But if it's correct, that's great.
I don't think that the figuers for Europe is so high.

petazulu

Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:00 am

My original guess of 80% was just that. I could be way off. Probably not much. When I say 80%, I refer to people who have been on any plane at least once.

As for the bus being cheaper. I suppose it is- but barely- when you factor in 3 days of food and the lost productivity of 3 days on a bus.

Do you feel this number would be higher in other countries? I think Europe with their excellent trains (I am jealous!) and relatively late entrance into LCC-land, may not have as high a number. Perhaps Australia or Russia? Definitely not India or China. Maybe Israel? or Japan...

Thanks for posting the links to the articles guys...

usatoeze

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:47 pm

With US population, how many are children between 0-6 years? It's the percentage I thougt were a bit high. But if it's correct, that's great.
I don't think that the figuers for Europe is so high.

Cant speak for Sweden by itself, but the birthrate in the USA is indeed higher than the EU.
War is a very poor political tool

767-332ER

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:31 pm

Sk945,
I agree with you now, but yes as mentioned earlier, the nativity rate for Europe is much lower than it should be. I mean, I flew when I was 8 months old, so...hehe..
Regards

petazulu

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:39 pm

Come on guys- lets have a debate. Do you think a higher percentage of Icelanders have flown at least once than anyone else? I am surprised more people would not have ideas on this. While flying seems natural to me, I have always wondered how many people I pass in the street may have never seen the inside of a plane!

I think Israel (due to immigration and the fact that they can't vacation unless within Israel or a plane ride away.

Iceland- small, relatively wealthy island.
USA- its rich and big and flying is the only reasonable way to move around over long distances.
England- The english love to travel
Japan- Lots of islands! Lots of travel.
Australia- It seems to be a rite of passage to spend many years overseas in your twenties.
Taiwan?
Canada- Similar to US, plus whole sections rely on air for transport in cold weather.
I don't think its mainland Europe. This is because with trains and car transport, you can go virtually anywhere in a relatively short period of time without flying. Also, populations is Europe are not immigrant and families tend to live with the borders of their countries, which are not geographically big.

JCS

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:07 pm

I did check statline.nl; a database of statistic information about Netherlands.
They told 4.639.000 Dutch people went in 2003 by plane on holiday. Total Dutch population is 16m, so that makes 29% of total Dutch habitants a year only for holiday. Count in all those other people traveling for anything. And of course: all Dutch post-high school people go a year abroad, to ..... Australia.

Dutch population is 16m and only AMS gets 44m pax each year. But, this includes all transit-pax. On the other hand: many Dutch people near the borders of Germany and Belgium can use airports in those countries. And you must count-in relatively small, other Dutch Airports like Rotterdam/Eindhoven/Groningen/Maastricht. Moreover, in Netherlands live many immigrants (in biggest cities near 40% right now).

And still, this is only EVERY year. Those 80% isn't very hard to get!

-+-+-

When comparing Netherlands - USA I would like to make some remarks about 'rich'.
In USA the %-population of 'poor' people is MUCH higher than Netherlands. But also: in USA is a (small) number of people who live in excessive wealthy with private planes etc. This kind of wealthy is in Netherlands -indeed- not such common. But this does not count really when looking for a % of populations who did ever fly on a commercial airplane. On the other hand, Netherlands does have almost none domestic flights. All ('poor') people find work in this small country and don't need to go thousands of kilometers by plane to find work or use plane for any other essential reason.

My point? Aviation-penetration in Europe is not else then USA! Number of flights is probably lower, due to USA domestic flights vs. EU trains.

petazulu

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:33 pm

JCS,
Those are all good points. Indeed, the 80% mark is most probably easily obtained over there. There is a whole segment of the US that is too poor to fly. The Netherlands is known for extremely balanced economic distribution which would lend itself to a higher percentage of people flying somewhere.

What the US has going for it also is that many families live very far away from each other. Granparents in Florida, Father is New York, Brother is Chicago, etc.

This creates a lot of opportunity for a person to need to take a plane (weddings, funerals, babies, etc.), whereas I would guess that is lower in Europe.

railmatt

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:24 am

It is still amazing that for a lot of people, the thought of doing anything besides driving on government-built roads won't even occur to them unless the trip is more than 1,000 miles.