Qantasclub
Topic Author

How Is Qantas Going To Compete HKG-LHR With VS/BA?

Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:59 pm

Is it just me, or does anyone think these newly announced Qantas services from SYD-HKG-Then HKG-LHR 3 times a week will have problems competing with a new DAILY VS service in addiiton to already high frequencies offered by BA and CX? 3 times a week is a piss-weak frequency for business travel! And these are not exactly crappy carriers either, they are amongst the best airlines in the world today, not that Qantas can't hold it's own next to them, but I feel that such poor frequency on a major business route is suicide. Unless they go at least daily, I don't think it will last. Qantas has already admitted the only reason why their paris flights were unsustainably unprofitable was the very fact their 3x a week frequency was so low.
They should route some of the SIN-LHR 744s (now 17 times a week-17!) through HKG to at least make it a daily HKG-LHR and double daily from SIN-HKG.
Whatever the outcome, LHR-HKG now has the top 4 airlines in the world competing for market share. What a great choice for travellers. Having said this, out of all of these carriers, Qantas has by far the deepest pockets at the moment.

[Edited 2004-06-22 10:28:05]
Long Haul is the only way to go

richardw

RE: How Is Qantas Going To Compete HKG-LHR With VS/BA?

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:18 pm

They will have to codeshare with BA and CX to offer a frequency to business travellers.

cx123

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:23 pm

They will prob codeshare with BA (just like they code share with AA on JFK)
QF might just want to test the water first before launching daily service. I am sure sooner or later they will revert back to daily to compete with VS and CX.

senliture

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:50 pm

LHR-HKG is an ultra high demanded route, It is always very hard for you to fight for a seat even in low seasons. There are a lot of school kids in UK from HKG, and there's only LHR provides a direct flight from UK to HKG. During the high seasons it is a nightmare for you to get a seat, believe me, you can't imagine that some flights are full already for the December school semester break. QANTAS providing the 3x weekly services may not generate a hugh profit, but can at least get some market shares. CX and BA is not really their competitors, VS does. QF needs to do something in responds to VS's daily LHR-HKG-SYD services. 3x weekly is not good enough but still a fair responds. Hope the daily services will come in force as soon as possible.

Senliture

sky0000547

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:14 pm

During the high seasons it is a nightmare for you to get a seat, believe me, you can't imagine that some flights are full already for the December school semester break.

Yea i agree with Senliture. I already booked my December flight LHR-HKG back in April so i can guarantee myself a seat. More airlines the better i would say but as a member of VS Flying Club there is only one airline i would pick.  Big grin

As Qantasclub mentioned 4 top airlines serving the route, it is very good for the travelers. With Qantas only flying 3x weekly while the others have 2x and 3x daily, it will be difficult for Qantas to compete but at high seasons they will all be full to the brim.

Happy Flying  Smile

N754PR

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:40 pm

Well I would take QF over VS anyday as I've heard too many bad things about VS.

Remember VS is only daily to Hong Kong when CX and BA are 3 daily.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

aussie747

Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:42 pm

The problem is QF isn't allowed to have more than three weekly flight until Nov 2005 (when it can go 4 times a week) and not until March 2006 (until it can go daily). These were the terms as set out for QF in the Bilateral air services agreement signed. I think QF would go daily if it were allowed to do so and had the aircraft to do so.

United Airline

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:29 am

Will QF restart HKG-SIN??????? Also when will HKG-LHR start?

Sydscott

Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:58 am

"Will QF restart HKG-SIN"

Probably not. If I recall the SIN-HKG sector was flown by QF 77 originating in Perth. Perth now has direct services to Hong Kong and more than enough to Singapore so I doubt we will be seeing it. QF's asian low-cost airline will more then likely fly it though.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

As for competing HKG-LHR I always assumed they would extend the Joint Services Agreement with BA to cover it. That way QF's new flights are a way for BA to add frequencies to its thrice daily schedule from HKG without needing to redeploy capacity itself.

Whatever way it pans out it will be a boon for travellers!!!!