airtahitinui

LCC's Are A Fungus...no offense

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:33 pm

...that grow on proud historic airports. The orange and red colored fungus on the back of a sleazy motel shower curtain is much more appealing than the newest southwest flying trash bin. The caliber of LCC passengers is so low I'm surprised grayhound hasn't thrown its hat in the airline business. Guess I should give up, gain 500 pounds, loose all but one tooth, board barefoot, gawk at the pretty wings an wonder why they don't flap, argue when I discover there's no 4-course meal for a $5 plane ticket, and become a southwest/jetblue/[add cheap, no-class, sub-human airline here].

By the way, I HATE LCCs! A world with LCCs is not worth living in. The sweet color of blood running from my wrists is far more enjoyable than any ride on those sorry excuses for an airline. Yes they make money, but so do drug dealers -- making money doesn't make it right.

Boycott all LCCs NOW! Support America, support freedom, support life as we know it, support the big corporate airlines: AA, Air Tahiti and everybody else that's not a LCC...
send a real message - DON'T VOTE!

cx123

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:37 pm

Why should you support Substandard airlines when there are better alternatives.
I personally don't like LCCs but look at some of your major US airlines. They are really no better than some of the LCC. In fact some of the LCC (eg. B6) are much better is terms of overall service, product offerings and the total package.

ERJ170

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:38 pm

LCC are to airlines, as Generic drugs are to Pharmaceutical companies. They are a necessary alternative. And doens't everybody need alternatives? Unless everybody is going to get a governmental supplement for airline prices, fares need to be at a rate that is affordable for everyone. Which is why LCC won't be going anywhere, anytime soon. Sorry.
Aiming High and going far..

freshlove1

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:40 pm

Welcome to my Respected Users List Airtahitinui.......you are so correct!!

jetdeltamsy

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:41 pm

are you nuts? you need something to do.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

DfwRevolution

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:54 pm

The orange and red colored fungus on the back of a sleazy motel shower curtain is much more appealing than the newest southwest flying trash bin.

When I was about 12 or so, I worked my ass off to scrap up enough money to pay for a round-trip ticket (DAL-HOU) on WN. My family was huge, so we never got to fly anywhere for vacation. I think it was about $70 round trip, which for a 12 year old in 1991 was an enourmus sum.

My very first flight *ever* was with WN, and at the time, that was a big deal for me. So I take a degree of offense to your blanket statement of Southwest. Since then, I have had nothing but enjoyable flights with WN.

Yes they make money, but so do drug dealers -- making money doesn't make it right.

And going bankrupt, floudering in mismanegment, while the workers get screwerd jusitify me sending my business to a major? WN, and most other LCCs, *want* your business and treat you accordingly. WN flight attendents are polite, curtious, and energetic and not to mention efficent. And check the payscale of a WN pilot versus a UAL pilot (for the 737 ofcourse)

Welcome to my Respected Users List Airtahitinui.......you are so correct!!

I wish I had a Disrespected User list, or maybe a Dennis Miller inspired "You are an asshole" sticker

AsstChiefMark

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:56 pm

I'm surprised grayhound hasn't thrown its hat in the airline business

Too late  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Vanderheyden

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

BWIA 772

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:00 pm

I am going to echo CanadaEH statement.

I say that we ask the mods at the end of the year to release the list of the worst posts for the year. Right now this on has won it hands down.
Eagles Soar!

rjpieces

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:15 pm

...that grow on proud historic airports. The orange and red colored fungus on the back of a sleazy motel shower curtain is much more appealing than the newest southwest flying trash bin. The caliber of LCC passengers is so low I'm surprised grayhound hasn't thrown its hat in the airline business. Guess I should give up, gain 500 pounds, loose all but one tooth, board barefoot, gawk at the pretty wings an wonder why they don't flap, argue when I discover there's no 4-course meal for a $5 plane ticket, and become a southwest/jetblue/[add cheap, no-class, sub-human airline here].

I've never flown WN, but somehow I doubt that stereotype is true. B6 has a cult following in NYC--Many wealthy yuppie New Yorkers will always fly B6 now. There is no way to label all the LCCs as the same. And frankly, unless you are flying upfront, I'd prefer B6 over US, DL,etc mainline anyday.

By the way, I HATE LCCs! A world with LCCs is not worth living in. The sweet color of blood running from my wrists is far more enjoyable than any ride on those sorry excuses for an airline. Yes they make money, but so do drug dealers -- making money doesn't make it right.

Somehow, drug dealers isn't the best analogy to Low Cost Carriers...............

Boycott all LCCs NOW! Support America, support freedom, support life as we know it, support the big corporate airlines: AA, Air Tahiti and everybody else that's not a LCC...

Amazing how in the same sentence you say support America and fly Air Tahiti. .............I'm curious, how often do you fly? Somehow, I have the feeling you talk the talk, and then only book the lowest available fares on majors. If so, to them you might as well be flying WN.

P.S. Where do you live in Brooklyn?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

flashmeister

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:24 pm

Classic response. Attack that which you do not understand, cannot match, and cannot outlast. And ask for government loan guarantees along the way.

Tasha

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:31 pm

Cx123:

"I personally don't like LCCs but look at some of your major US airlines. They are really no better than some of the LCC. In fact some of the LCC (eg. B6) are much better is terms of overall service, product offerings and the total package"

Here we disagree once again. There are many airlines from many parts of the world - including Australia - which do not compare favorably to some U.S. airlines. There are some U.S. based airlines that I have flown on and I simply did NOT enjoy it. There are others that were brilliant in both product and service. Continental is an enigma. I find their ground staff incompetent at best, but their aircrews are fabulous!

There are some carriers that I feel are overrated - BA and AF being first choices. Opinions differ!

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

rjpieces

Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:51 pm

Wow, I don't recall ever seeing so many users risk suspension to curse out someone!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

adriaticus

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:17 pm

I think Airtahitinui was just being playful and sarcastic... Albeit what his real message was trying to be, just doesn't get across... Oh, well.

Choices... That's the magic. Flying F class on a legacy carrier versus a LCC... It is a daily item, like choosing a good USDA-choice sirloin or a trendy weird macrobiotic undefinable dish, or deciding to drive a Range Rover or an overperforming Korean what's-its-name SUV... Mozart or Eminem?

Fact is, LCC's have reshaped the airline industry, and regardless we like them or not, they are here to stay, at least until the next major air transport revolution, and for as long as there are passengers paying for their own tickets...

<< ...A world with LCCs is not worth living in. The sweet color of blood running from my wrists is far more enjoyable than any ride on those sorry excuses for an airline... >>

We must admit, this is very poetic... A fine piece of writing, at least.

<< Please, enjoy killing yourself. >>

Priceless!!

I've had my dosis of good laughing tonight. This has been a very pleasant diversion... Off I go.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

flashmeister

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:19 pm

Boycott all LCCs NOW! Support America, support freedom, support life as we know it, support the big corporate airlines

You really don't get it, do you?

WN: An American corporation, contributing to the freedom to go wherever you want in the USA cheap. As for big corporate airlines...

AA market capitalization: $1.8bil
UA market capitalization: Not applicable. None.
DL market capitalization: $0.8bil
NW market capitalization: $0.9bil
CO market capitalization: $0.7bil
US market capitalization: $0.1bil
B6 market capitalization: $2.9bil
F9 market capitalization: $0.4bil
FL market capitalization: $1.2bil
AS market capitalization: $0.6bil
OO market capitalization: $1.0bil
RU market capitalization: $0.6bil
RP market capitalization: $0.4bil
YV market capitalization: $0.3bil
Total for above carriers: $11.7bil

WN market capitalization: $12.39bil. More than everyone else, combined. Doesn't get more big-business than that.

BWIA 772

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:04 am

It look like this Airtahitinuni is going to be lynched at the rate the comments are going. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin
Eagles Soar!

kcrwflyer

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:29 am

"Boycott all LCCs NOW! Support America, support freedom, support life as we know it, support the big corporate airlines: AA, Air Tahiti and everybody else that's not a LCC..."

Ok, I love LCC's, just not WN. But my main Question is, out of all of the legacy carriers, and (Historic) airlines in the US, where the heck did u get Air Tahiti Nui from? Its nont even american based, and im pretty sure they only fly to two destinations in America, and i dont think their operation is very big anyway. NOW, i could be very wrong, im not saying i know all of this stuff for a fact, but im jusy saying what i do know.

Corsair2

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:59 am

At least most of the LCC's have not been down grading their service to regional jets like some of the mainline carriers!

"We have clearance Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?"

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:00 am

I personally don't like LCCs but look at some of your major US airlines. They are really no better than some of the LCC. In fact some of the LCC (eg. B6) are much better is terms of overall service, product offerings and the total package.

And the reason for them being in this state is the LCC's.

LCC's are more than a fungus, they're a detriment to the industry.

citationjet

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:01 am

Two comments:
This is posted in the wrong forum, should be polls & preferences.
Non LCCs are dinosaurs.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

txagkuwait

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:03 am

kcrw writes in, and I quote: >>"Ok, I love LCC's, just not WN."<<

Here is my question:

Just how many times have you flown WN?

Be honest.

A common theme towards a lot of anti-WN vitriol that gets thrown around on some of these message boards is the anti-WN people all have one thing in common - they have never flown WN.

Check out who the WN supporters are on these boards.

We're all adults, mostly past 30 or 40 yrs of age.

We fly a lot.

We often use our money to purchase tickets.

What you will find is that the people who consistently deride WN are those who have seldom, if ever, flown on them....or they work for a legacy (read: high cost) carrier and they don't like seeing the status quo upset by an airline company that deigns to offer fares people can afford.

Before you start in on the argument that such-and-such airline was so many $$ less than WN when I checked....I will ask this question:

Do you really think there would be low fare carriers at all if there had been no WN?

Jaspike

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:04 am

LCCs are good.. not only do they have good fares, they enable people who have lower incomes to travel and experience new places. Surely this is a good thing. Anyone who disagrees needs their head seeing to.

Tom

jaysit

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:04 am

Jetblue a cheap, no-class, sub-human airline????

What have you been smoking?

Hot FAs, great legroom, cheap fares, entertainment on board, yummy snacks, wonderful interiors is what I get for very little money to Florida. You pay for a lousy flight on Delta. I'll save my money and splurge on a room at the Delano Hotel.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

citationjet

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:07 am

I know why airtahitinui's RR is zero.
I think he has been playing too much hockey without a helmet (see his profile).
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:12 am

LCCs are good.. not only do they have good fares, they enable people who have lower incomes to travel and experience new places. Surely this is a good thing. Anyone who disagrees needs their head seeing to.

Flying isn't a right my friend, it's a privilege. As soon as it becomes as such (which is where the LCC's are pushing it) flying will become like Amtrak. Sorry, but sometimes I enjoy First Class on a long flight. The LCC's will ensure that a day comes where that does not exist. Bank on it. LCC’s are less like a fungus and more like a cancer. You can make fungus go away.

[Edited 2004-06-24 18:12:40]

Jaspike

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:15 am

I didn't say it was a right, I said it enables some people to fly who couldn't afford to do it before. Simple.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:18 am

The problem is that the mindset has developed that flying is a right. This is perpetuated by the $99 LAX-JFK air fare. Customers expect the same fare on United, Delta and American and then want a better level of service for that price and it's simply impossible. I remember a day when SWA was for the rif-raff and flying mainline was a joy. Not anymore. Now you have to ride along with the rest of the garbage.

[Edited 2004-06-24 18:19:17]

DELTA777

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:19 am

why would anyone want to get ona 20-30 year old plane, get horrible service by people who dont care, and pay more when you could choose to fly jetBlue or Frontier and get a new plane, motivated employees and innovative products like live Directv, leather seats, etc FOR LESS! this is a capitalist county and its a simple fact.... the old, mismanaged companies witg poor products shut down (majors) and new, motivated, exciting companies coem to fill their place, and the cycle repeats.

D E L T A 7 7 7

atcboy73

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:22 am

Wouldnt two or more make it a

FUNGEYE ..................(spell check seems to be out of order)

jaysit

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:24 am

"Now you have to ride along with the rest of the garbage."

No, you don't.

Dish out $ 1000 for a First Class fare on United, and put your money where your mouth is.

Otherwise, forever hold your peace.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:31 am

Yes you do.

And I do dish out the cash on a regular basis, but not for United.

ualonghaul

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:33 am

I do not understand why people like CanadaEH have to use such profanity to argue a point. Actually, CanadaEH did a great job of saying nothing at all while offending a whole host of people.

ERJ170 had it right on, they are similar to generic drugs. LCC are fine until the point is reached where other airlines are losing so much that international routes have be scaled back. That bugs me. In that case it is the LCC that is driving service away from other PAX by forcing the mainlines south. That bothers me. America needs no more LCC, Song, Ted, Southwest, Jet Blue, Am West, that is enough.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:43 am

I do not understand why people like CanadaEH have to use such profanity to argue a point. Actually, CanadaEH did a great job of saying nothing at all while offending a whole host of people.

No doubt. Came off like an LCC pax.

jaysit

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:43 am

"America needs no more LCC, Song, Ted, Southwest, Jet Blue, Am West, that is enough."

As long as entrepreneurs and airline companies believe that the market can withstand a new entrant, more LCCs will be the norm. Then like anything else, the best ones will survive and prosper. As far as international services are concerned, Virgin Blue will enable Virgin to expand its services from the United States. And if the demand for an upgraded frills section is seen, then the carriers will provide it.

Once again, LCCs enable people to travel in the US for very little money. Most people are not stupid enough to think that a $ 99 one way trans-con fare entitles them to filet mignon on board. Most are just happy with a beverage and the savings they enjoy on their way to visit a loved one, or to enjoy a well-deserved vacation.

As I said before, if you enjoy paying full fare so much, do it.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:49 am

The fact that a majority of the airlines are losing money, yields are down nearly 10% from 2 years ago and the mainline carriers are all looking at ways to cut costs further to compete is proof eoungh there are too many LCC's.

LCC's do nothing special. The steal gravy coach pax away from the majors in well established and profitable markets. ANYONE CAN DO THAT, but not one of these LCC's will ensure that a small town in Idaho will have service when the damage is done.

[Edited 2004-06-24 18:49:58]

InnocuousFox

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:57 am

The interesting thing is, I gotta wonder if the same people who bitch about LCCs are all buying Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. After all, Ford, Chevy, Honda, etc. are all just "low cost auto manufacturers" and therefore must suck. We should just get rid of all auto makers who turn out cars that the majority of buyers can afford. If you don't make $100,000 a year, you shouldn't be driving. Do you know what kind of disgusting people I have seen driving Fords and Chevys?

As for Freshlove1 he/she/it has been judging people who fly WN based on what he sees at his/her/its airport. Perhaps that isn't about the quality of the WN pax, but rather the quality of the people who live in YOUR city?

Southwest moved into Omaha about 8-10 years ago and quickly became our #1 carrier (and we have all the majors here). The thing is, we have more millionares per capita than any city in the nation. I don't see the types of people YOU are bitching about flying WN from here. In fact, I have taken them twice in the past 3 years... and I make twice as much as you do! Does that make YOU ultra-low class?
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:01 am

Most of your Omaha millionares are on Midwest, sorry man.

InnocuousFox

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:05 am

"Most of your Omaha millionares are on Midwest, sorry man."

Not any more of late... Midex cut WAY back here.

The point being is that Omaha people FLY a LOT!

w_a_s_p_i_e

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:05 am

LCC's in my opinion do some good, but mainly bad. They have RUINED the pilots reputation, made flying an "everyday" thing and at the same time pushed respectable airlines with well paid pilots such as BA into difficult positions. Stuff LCC's, I fly properly, I fly BA.

mandala499

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:09 am

37 replies and the original poster have disappeared....

It's a stirrup!

mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:14 am

Not any more of late... Midex cut WAY back here.

130,000 seats a year. That's more than enough seats for a small hub airport.

ERJ170

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:14 am

Many of the legacy carriers are finding themselves pushed against the wall without a plausible way out. And many of them have put themselves in that position. Many believe that people will just PAY whatever they ask. Well, LCC are teaching a new class that many of the legacy carriers need to take. This is a recession. People are looking at their bank accounts. People are reading the fine print. People are looking for the sale. People are finding other options than to fly. Companies are doing the exact same thing. Airlines need to learn. All these RJ are good for small markets. RJ are good for some medium markets. But there should be a mix (ie mainline and RJ).

Overall, I think LCC are teaching a hard lesson to Legacy airlines that is long overdue.. Str8en up, or ground your planes. Soon, a great wave of Darwinism will occur where the fittest will survive. Who will it be? Not all Legacy. Not all LCC. But a mix.

Here to stay will be the likes of WN, B6, AS, AA, DL, and Midwest. Others are more questionable, but that is just my opinion so don't argue with my point.

It's a new day.. and if airlines are gonna be somebody, and gonna be somewhere.. they are gonna have to wake up and pay attention. AA has seen the difference and started to change. USAirways is moving towards the right direction. WN will soon find a need to begin to shift too. It's all inevitable. And its all the natural flow of business.

That's all I have to say.
Aiming High and going far..

MD80Nut

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:28 am

What's wrong with offering passengers a more economical way to fly? Clearly, you haven't flown much lately, 'cause most legacy carriers have reduced their in-flight service to LCC levels. Southwest, JetBlue and AirTran have new planes and decent service, I've had no problem when I've flown them.

Plus many of the problems our big airlines are having are due to the fact they aren't very efficent and grew complacent during the pre-9/11 good times. All the LCCs are doing is taking advantage and offering a more competitive product. You know, competition, the good 'ol American way!

Maybe if you got out of the house a little more and actually flew some you'd have a more informed opinion, good buddy!

cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

RT514

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:34 am

The problem is that the mindset has developed that flying is a right. This is perpetuated by the $99 LAX-JFK air fare. Customers expect the same fare on United, Delta and American and then want a better level of service for that price and it's simply impossible. I remember a day when SWA was for the rif-raff and flying mainline was a joy. Not anymore. Now you have to ride along with the rest of the garbage.

Congratulations, BoingGoingGone. I thought it would be an incredibly difficult task to post something even more senseless than the original post in this thread, but you have shown and convinced me that it can in fact be done.

There is no "mindset" that flying is a right any more than it ever has been. It has just become more accessible to a larger percentage of the population -- hardly a bad thing. So, the $99 fare you cite doesn't perpetuate any kind of mindset. It just shows that flying across the country at that price is possible, whereas it might not have been possible in the past. Today there are lower prices available and a wider range of fares to choose from -- what's wrong with that?

You are right, customers do expect the same $99 LAX-JFK fare on UA, DL, and AA. If those airlines can't deliver as such, the consumer has the freedom to decide what they want to do. Judging by WN's success and UA's difficulties, it would seem that people these days are more interested in lower fares and less interested in paying for a greater degree of service, which is usually hit-and-miss anyway. The customer dictates demand and airlines that aren't able to adapt accordingly will die a rather natural death.

As for your comment about "riding along with the rest of the garbage", I'm assuming you are perpetuating a stereotype about LCC passengers. Considering that LCC usage has continued to rise, maybe that's a sign that more people are garbage??? (At least according to you). Just be mindful when referring to people as garbage because it's almost certain that at least one person, somewhere out there, thinks that you are garbage too.  Big grin

Cessna172RG

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:42 am

I have skipped over all replies to your topic because I know what the will say already... So I will say this...

LCC or Legacy Carrier, an airline is an airline. If they can SURVIVE in today's industry and either make a buck or al least survive, then they are at least trying to do so. Who cares what color their planes are? Who cares about the service? If they get you from Point A to Point B in an airplane, then what is the problem? Sure, there are airlines that I don't like to fly. I have never tried Southwest, but that is BECAUSE whenever I buy a ticket, it's usually between a few days and a few hours of when I need to fly. Sure, SWA boasts its low fares, but sometimes, and especially if you have my schedule, you wouldn't care what airline and what class of service that you paid for, so long as you get there.

If you want real service, fly SIA. If you want to bitch, don't waste our time.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

InnocuousFox

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:45 am

IFox: "Not any more of late... Midex cut WAY back here."
BGG: "130,000 seats a year. That's more than enough seats for a small hub airport."

You sure they are pushing that much through here still? How old are those numbers?

The bottom line about the majors vs. LCC debate is that the PEOPLE don't want to do it the major's way any more. We may all have this romantic idea of what flying "should be", but the FACT is, that is not going to support an airline company any more.

kcrwflyer

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:58 am

"Just how many times have you flown WN?"

I know about fares, and i understand money management and spending it. Its not like i dislike them, i just dont perfer them. Ive never personally flown them, but everyone in my family has, some say they try too hard to have a good time, and others say , the way they stay perky is wonderful and has a great atmosphere.

Now i understand that SWA is makin money by flying to markets with great demand, almost as Jet Blue does, researching and assuring profit before they fly to a market.

I think that if WN was such a geniously operated airline, they could find a way to operate in some smaller markets, and still be succesful. Honestly though, whats the smallest area they serve?

Which is why i like what Indy air is doing. And if they are succesful, do you think that WN might adopt some of their strategy?

But this is a whole nother forum topic.

reltney

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:03 am

Well, Budget carriers are just that. The commoners need them like bus service. If you have flown any like SWA , it is like a bus. JB is worse. Not trying to sound like a snob, these are well run carriers that cater to the bus crowd. I grew up in Texas and jumpseat on SWA , JB frequently, and flown others . It is a different crowd! It is the type not found on the Classic Majors. Also, With the way the pricing is, I can and have flown DAL and AA MUCH cheaper than SWA over the last 4 years. I saved $257 for a family of 3 on a HOU-MCO DAL flight and only made one stop before 9/11.

The press as made them there little darling and won't tell you SWA layed off 1900 people,parked 19 brand new 737-700(now in service) after 911 for a year and cut there almost non existant retirement benifits on there already retired folks. JB has had it internal problem and they are starting to surface. Frontier is a good survivor.

The US wants quality but needs bus service too. Classic carriers and budget airlines are both going to be around for a long time together. You like nice dining and nice cars dont you!
I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

hz747300

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:10 am

Your post is funny!!! How true it is to see once robust airports like PHX welcoming NW 747's, TWA L1011's, and UA & AA DC10's, now reduced to a steady stream of regional jets, 737's and A319/20's. It's become boring.

However, that is business. Personally I don't like Southwest at all. And they would only have to make one simple change for me to change my mind--assigned seats. I hate not having assigned seats so much I refuse to fly them. Plus, their colour scheme sucks hind t!t too.

I also think watching "Airline" on A&E, made me dislike them more. I know, I know Southwest won't show the millions of passengers that are rejects, outcasts, and misfits because it is bad TV. But it made me glad my company has full service airline as its preferred carrier.
Keep on truckin'...

jaysit

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:12 am

"You like nice dining and nice cars dont you!"

When did you last fly???

Excuse me, but which of these "classic" carriers serve meals in coach? I've flown American/NW/DL transcon and have never received anything more than a bag of mini-pretzels. When I fly in the US today, I don't expect (nor do I want) a meal, let alone fine dining. The last meal I had was on a UA 777 flying IAD-SFO two years ago, and that wasnt' even remotely fine dining.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:14 am

You sure they are pushing that much through here still? How old are those numbers?

Those available seats are based on their current schedule. That's a huge number of Business Class seats for a small hub airport. Oakland doesn't have that much business service thanks to Southwest.