Volunteering At Airports

Wed Feb 16, 2000 11:31 am

For homework, I have to do community service (Volunteering in other words). I was wondering if airports have anything where you can volunteer to help them out. Like maybe setting up the cones when the planes arrive or making sure the planes are a safe distance apart at the gate. Or maybe even load baggage. Is this possible? I have to do three hours of it. And I am 14 years old so would they still let me help out?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide me with.

-WiL SW737

AA777-200

RE: Volunteering At Airports

Wed Feb 16, 2000 12:03 pm

You have a good idea but the airlines wont even let anyone do that. You have to be 18 and graduated to work for an airline in the U.S., anyway due to insurance reasons. You probably wont even be able to get near the aircraft. The only thing they may let you do is scrub out the toilets or sweep the floors throughout the airport. Im not trying to make this sound bad but they are very strict on this. When I went to start for American I turned in an application when I was still in High School and they couldnt even interview me untill after graduation. As soon as I graduated they sent me off to medical like 3 days after my graduation date.
Sorry about the bad news. You may want to come up with something else.
AA777-200

DeltaAir

Wed Feb 16, 2000 12:17 pm

Another idea would be at major conventions like the Sun-n-Fun Fly in, in Lakeland,FL they appreciate lots of volunteers to help with organizing and things of that nature.

mel

Wed Feb 16, 2000 12:39 pm

The only thing I can think of would be Travellers Aid, if the airport you are near is big enough, they will have a Travellers Aid desk which answers general questions and makes pages through the terminal(s). That way, you would need to get a security pass to go on the ramp for 3 hrs.
NO URLS in signature

flyf15

Wed Feb 16, 2000 12:59 pm

You probably have a much better chance doing this at a smaller airport/FBO type facility. I'd be suprised if a pilot's shop couldn't find something related to airplanes for you to do.