bhmal

Northwest Expands Memphis Hub

Wed Feb 16, 2000 1:15 pm

I noticed today on the Northwest website that NW will be expanding their Memphis hub to 4 banks of flights per day, an increase over the current 3 banks. I am a NW frequent flyer and in the past have had trouble getting to the West Coast going thru MEM. I've had to fly nonstop all the way to DTW from BHM just to get to some west coast destinations (SAN, PDX, RNO, PHX). Note that NW did just start MEM-PHX service again. Sometimes even on thru MSP too. This expansion looks like it will increase frequency to all of NW's destinations out of MEM but no new west coast destinations. Any opinions as to why NW offers this limited service at MEM?

RE: Northwest Expands Memphis Hub

Wed Feb 16, 2000 3:36 pm

I flew Northwest over the weekend and I'm sad to report that the Memphis hub is PITIFUL. The facilities are incredibly old, the interior of the terminals needs significant work, Northwest employees in MEM were generally rude, apathetic, and unpleasant, and there are very little food options in the NW gate areas. Concourse A (NW Airlink) is especially depressing, and there was a gate hold for my aircraft on gate B39 because of ramp congestion. I am not at all impressed with the Memphis hub and it seems to me that NW should invest some money in improving its gate areas before it begins spending money on expansion from MEM.
In fact, on Concourse A, there's a big sign that says, "Welcome to Memphis - America's Distribution Center." Perhaps that says it all...

fr8tdog

RE: Northwest Expands Memphis Hub

Wed Feb 16, 2000 4:29 pm

Goto NW home page there is the article on the 4th bank of flights also they are commited to the renevation of the Mem terminal there is money allocated for this, as for time frame on that ?????