pwm2txlhopper

Direct PWM-Ireland Flights A Possibility

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:35 am

In yesterdays edition of the local newspaper here in Portland, Maine-The Portland Press Herald, there was a front page story about Independence Airs arrival at PWM and the planned expansions to start next year including five additional gates, a new baggage claim, etc., and also the Jetports' plans to attract more discount carriers. Towards the end of the article there was a brief interview with the city's Airport manager and he stated that as well as continuing talks with JetBlue, that the airport has been in negotiation with an unnamed "International" carrier to commence direct flights from PWM to Ireland flown on "smaller" jets. The quoted words were the most specific they got in the article unfortunately. They also stated that if this service started PWM would be a stopover, and the flight would be originating from another U.S. city.
I really find this hard to believe, especially after what PWM has become during the last three years. Not that it was ever much though! We're almost all RJ's now except for DL and NW. I'm sure the greater Portland population of 200,000 couldn't support this flightalone, but I guess that would also be part of the reason the flight would be originating and terminating in a bigger U.S. city?
I tried to get the article from the Press Heralds homepage, but to get in the archives you have to be a paying member. However, anybody on here that has access to Thursdays addition can find it in the second page of the cover story.
If this news is coming from the city's airport/transportation manager himself I have a harder time dismissing it. Would like to hear somebody elses input on this.

iowaman

RE: Direct PWM-Ireland Flights A Possibility

Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:26 pm

That seems a little farfetched, I would think London-Heathrow would happen before that.

kaitak

Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:11 pm

If any slots became available at LHR, they'd be snapped up by larger airlines flying well established routes. If they are using small jets, it makes sense to fly to the nearest destination in Europe on the great circle map. That would be Ireland.

legacyins

Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:17 pm

Under Bermuda II, only 2 US carriers have access to Heathrow, UA and AA.