WhiteEaglePL
Topic Author

Time Difference

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:03 pm

Hi
Soon I'll be flying from LA to Europe and I'm coming back from Frankfurt to Washington DC and then to LA. I wondered why the flight time difference Is so big. The flight from LA to FRT is 10h30 and from FRT to WSG is 8h45 + to LA another 5h30 which makes over 14 why is that ? Can anyone explain it to me? And on more thing, I'm leaving LA at 6 30pm am I gonna fly during night? or am I gonna try to catch up the day ? Thank you

Sky is the Limit

aviationwiz

RE: Time Difference

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:08 pm

The time difference is due to the current of the jetstreams, east to west, etc.

If you leave LAX at 6:30 PM, you will be flying into the night.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

Leskova

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:19 pm

Frankfurt to Washington and then on to LA is not even close to the direct route - that's why it's a longer flight that way - have a look at this link, and you'll see why there's such a difference:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=fra-lax%0D%0Afra-was-lax&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=mi&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=

Then there's also the fact that takeoffs and landings take extra time, so even if Washington were on the direct route, you'd still need longer.

About flying through the night - didn't you fly from LAX to Munich (and onwards to Poland) back in March? It's the same this time - you'll be flying through the night (by the way - I was in MUC the day your flight arrived, just as I said in that thread back then: if you want pictures of your flight arriving in MUC, just send me an eMail through my profile).

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

WhiteEaglePL
Topic Author

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:23 pm

Great.But last time I left LA around 12 o'clock or so to MUC and now it's FRT so I thought there would be a difference.Thx for the replies

A330Fan1

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:40 pm

WhiteEaglePL - as somebody already said, it's a factor of winds and jetstreams etc. Another example of this that I experienced recently was an LAX-BKK and BKK-LAX flight: LAX-BKK was about 19 hrs, and the return about 17. the LAX-KIX segment was about 12 hrs, or a little less, and KIX-LAX was 10 hrs 10 minutes - almost 2 hr difference right there.

but also, you are stopping in DC on your way back - could be why the time is longer than a nonstop from Germany - LA. Already the Germany - LA flight would be longer than LA-Germany one, but a stop in DC I think would add a little time.

-A330Fan1

Brasuca

Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:39 pm

by the way, why are eastbound flights always faster???

other examples:
JNB - GRU: 10:20
GRU - JNB: 8:15

SYD - JNB: 14:05
JNB - SYD: 11:45

DXB - LHR: 7:45
LHR - DXB: 6:55
Varig, Varig, Varig

Leskova

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:01 pm

Brasuca, to quote Aviationwiz (reply #1): The time difference is due to the current of the jetstreams - in other words: if you fly towards the east, you're flying "with the wind".

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos