PresRDC
Topic Author

Iberia And EL Al 757s At JFK

Thu Feb 17, 2000 12:26 am

I was watching Just Planes' most recent JFK video and I saw an Iberia 757. I know that the 757 is more than capable of flying from Spain to New York, but does nayone know if there is regular 757 route, or if it was a one-time thing.

I also saw an Iberia 757 on the video. I doubt it could make the flight from Israel non-stop, so does anyone know why it would have been at JFK? I thought El Al always used 747s at JFK.

RDC

RE: Iberia And EL Al 757s At JFK

Thu Feb 17, 2000 1:07 am

Usually, Iberia operates either DC-10's or 747's to JFK (according to demand); it's 757's are mainly used for regional and medium haul work (North Africa, including Equatorial Guinea, the only spanish-speaking nation in Africa!)

It may have been drafted in at the last minute, owing to a problem with the 747 or DC-10 at MAD. (Of course some pax. would have had to be put up in a hotel if this was the case).

I'm afraid I have no idea about that El-Al plane; did you check the reg.? It may have been on wet-lease to another US/other airline. Perhaps in that case, it was a VIP jet for the Isreali gov't (but in El-Al colours)??

RE: EL Al 757s At JFK

Thu Feb 17, 2000 4:19 am

I don't know if they still do it, but EL Al used to fly from TLV to New York (JFK/EWR) with 757 equipment via London (either LGW or LHR, I don't know which).

flyaa757

RE: EL Al 757s At JFK

Thu Feb 17, 2000 4:33 am

Ive seen 757s, 762s, 742s, and 744s at JFK and 757s at EWR. I think scheduling can be pretty ad hoc at LY

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos