MAH4546
Topic Author

AA Switching Airports In Kileen, Texas

Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:02 pm

American Eagle is switching airports in Kileen, Texas. Service will move from from ILE to GRK, 9 miles away, effective 2 August 2004. American Eagle will also increase frequency from 9 to 10 daily services. All flights use Saabs.

Does this have to do with ILE closing or a new airport having been built?
a.

ssides

RE: AA Switching Airports In Kileen, Texas

Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:32 pm

Killeen is building a new joint civilian-military use airport in conjunction with Fort Hood. This facility will be much like the one at Wichita Falls (SPS), with shared runways but different terminal facilities. This makes sense for the Killeen-Temple area, as Fort Hood (the largest military installation in the world) constitutes much of the commercial traffic.

Here's more info:

http://www.flykilleen.net/html/joint-use.html

The project is probably nearing completion; everything I've read indicates that "Summer 2004" is the target date.

I don't know if the airport code will change; I would think that it will keep the ILE code (much like AUS and DEN kept their codes after new airports were built).

The benefit of this new facility is the longer runway. Currently, ILE cannot support regional jet service because its runway is too short. It is widely believed that DL Connection will return and serve Killeen with regional jets, to DFW and possibly ATL. Whether AA and CO will bring regional jets remains to be seen, due to the airport's proximity to DFW and IAH.

I currently live in Austin, and there is a chance that this airport could become a decent alternative to AUS. For people living in Georgetown and Round Rock (north of Austin), the drive isn't considerably further than AUS. Plus, it will be less congested, and parking fees will likely be lower (hell, parking is free at ACT). Of course, fares will be the real determining factor here, but I do think it is a distinct possibility as Williamson and Bell counties continue to grow.

All in all, it's a great development for Texas aviation. I will try to get up there and see it when the terminal is finished.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:49 pm

I don't know if the airport code will change; I would think that it will keep the ILE code (much like AUS and DEN kept their codes after new airports were built).

It is changing from ILE to GRK.
a.

iahcsr

Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:36 am

CO (well, RU/OO) will be making the move as well. The one major issue with the old airport was the shortness of the runway. Get it just a bit too wet and RJs couldn't land there because of the extended braking conditions. That was the main reason Skywest took over the route. After the move, I believe RU will be back with a flight or two of it's own.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

Lear777

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:07 am

Indeed COEX will have a single ERJ-145 into GRK starting in August.

Brian

BTW- I've got five years on Airliners as of today...how time flies.

[Edited 2004-06-27 22:09:52]
Go Astros!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos