soups

NO Female FA IN Saudi Arabia?

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:13 pm

I heard that women are not allowed to work on any SV a/c, unless their husbands are on the same a/c....
does that apply to other airlines flying in saudi airspace?
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ly7e7

RE: NO Female FA IN Saudi Arabia?

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:19 pm

I will surprised if women at all are allowed on a Saudian a/c without a husband/male supervisor
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

keno

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:24 pm

I flew with SV in 1996 and their f/a were *mostly* females. Being a Malaysian, I was taken aback when I was greeted in Malay when I boarded the plane - it turned out that the girl was from Indonesia. Another f/a I came across was from the Philippines.

Saudi Arabian f/a, like many other arab countries do not employ their own female nationals but use foreign employees instead. There are no restrictions whatsoever on foreign carriers serving Saudi Arabia.

[Edited 2004-06-29 13:31:59]

sleak76

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:26 pm

Soups,
Female cabin crew do work onboard SV flights. I've seen them before and know a couple of them (who are, in fact, Irish and British nationals). They pay good  Smile

LY7E7,
Women travellers are allowed onboard without their husbands/supervisors. What I think you mean is that local (Saudi) women aren't allowed to leave the country without their husbands/male relative prior approval. If the husband/close relative approves her flying out of the country, to where ever she wants to go, then they are free to leave. Its a Ministry of Interior (immigration) procedure and not an SV (airline) thing.

Regards.
'Place your ad here'. Only $9.95 per post made.

ly7e7

Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:30 pm

Sleak76:
Right. That was exactly what I meant.

henpol747

Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:29 am

Would be too bad If they couldn´t!! Saudia Arabian women are absolutely beatiful!!!  Laugh out loud
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

soups

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:28 am

cheers for the info guys

GuyBetsy1

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:39 am

The same would apply to all Middle Eastern Arabic airlines. They hire their Flight Attendants from other countries.

CedarWings

Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:13 am

The same would apply to all Middle Eastern Arabic airlines. They hire their Flight Attendants from other countries.

GuyBetsy,

100% wrong.

Just check MEA of Lebanon, Syrian Air, Egypt Air, ....Etc.

In fact a lot of Emirates F/A are Lebanese "babes", .... wanna bet?

I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth

Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:47 am

Having flown Saudi many times, all of the FA's were female, and all were Asian.

B

Horus

Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:51 am

I fly with SV a few times a year and I can confirm that they have Saudi women as part of their cabin crew
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

n757kw

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:23 am

Before I ask a few questions, I will preface by saying the only majority Muslim nation I have been to is Indonesia. I have never flown on a Middle Eastern carrier. I have not had the opportunity to travel to the Middle East. I hope to one day.

Just out of curiosity. Do any of the F/As working for Middle Eastern airlines wear the hajib (spelling, also using my wife's interpretation of the hajib as just being a head covering)? I have flown in Indonesia and have not seen any women F/As wearing the hajib in the cabin. I have seen airline ground staff wearing the hajib in Indonesia.

Also, from many of the aviation magazines I have seen, the pictures or ads from Middle Eastern Airlines show foreign national F/As. I have only seen one picture of an Iran Air crew in which the F/As were wearing the hajib. So, I guess this leads to the ultimate question of, do Muslim women work as F/As? I also know from my experience in Indonesia, that not all Muslim women wear the hajib.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

Horus

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:31 am

Do any of the F/As working for Middle Eastern airlines wear the hajib

As far as I know only Saudi Arabian Airlines and Iran Air have F/As wearing the head scarf/hijab.

So, I guess this leads to the ultimate question of, do Muslim women work as F/As? I also know from my experience in Indonesia, that not all Muslim women wear the hajib.

Yes, Muslim women work as F/As in every single major Arab national carrier (to my knowledge). Egyptair currently have the largest number of woman pilots in the Middle East with around 70.

About the hijab, it is true many Muslim women do not wear the hijab, even though it is considered by most to be obligatory.

n757kw

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:39 am

Thanks Horus! It is nice to have an answer.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

Horus

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:46 am

No problem at all N757kx  Big thumbs up

mandala499

Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:12 am

The only airline in Indonesia requiring the religious attire for F/A was Seulawah Air, which was supposed to represent the region of Aceh. Unfortunately the airline was never based there, suffered from heavy corruption, and the customers here didn't really like their service and their uniform...

So, women don't have an option as to wearing the headscarf as F/As in Indonesia... it's either on (Seulawah Air), or Off (all the other airlines).

Indonesian F/As working in Saudia have a reputation of having the silliest of parties during their breaks back here... Escape from the Golden Prison!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

SV777KiloAlpha

Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:57 pm

LY7E7,

The law in Saudi Arabia is that boys below the age of 21 and all females are not allowed to travel abroad without their Husband/Father approval. The norm in the Kingdom is that all females now carry a small document with their passport that gives them the right to travel alone. This document is issued by the Passport Office upon the Father/Husband request. I can tell you that 90% of the females in SA have this document.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

uadc8contrail

Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:20 pm

have 1 cousin who is a female SV f/a.....she is from waterford ireland and when she is in saudi arabia on lay overs she stays at a all female dorm(if you call it that)courtesy of SV...pay is good but according to her the life style blows
bus driver.......move that bus:)

babybus

Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:55 pm

HORUS:
I fly with SV a few times a year and I can confirm that they have Saudi women as part of their cabin crew.

Really??? Not in my experience.

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

soups

Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:59 pm

just checked SV www they got women onboard  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

babybus

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:18 pm

Soups

There are women on board but they are not Saudi women. They are mostly from Malaysia, Lebanon and places like that.

I feel real sorry for female F/A's as the Saudi male F/A' s don't do a stroke of work. Some of them even fall asleep on the seats for the entire flt when they should be working.

It's not a nice life for these ladies, believe me.

sleak76

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:48 pm

Babybus has a point..
Though SV does have female crew, they do not have any Saudi female nationals as crew. I say this from past experience flying with that airline.

They dont have female nationals working as aircrew mostly because of society still being conservative. But then again, this is not an SV thing only, but all Gulf airlines face a lack of applications from female citizens of their home operating base. EK, GF, QR and KU can count the number of female nationals working as aircrew on one hand. I would say that probably WY (Oman Air) might have abit more than the Gulf average.

I know the Kuwaiti woman who do fly as aircrew with KU tend to fly on the 320 routes only - doing KWI-XXX-KWI on the same day. Society is more accepting of that (out and back in the same day) than being abroad for days on end without - what is seen as - protection of a male counterpart.

WY opeartes mostly short-haul flights with the 738's and that is why its not unusual to see abit more female nationals working onboard their flights than other Gulf carriers.

SV777KiloAlpha

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:50 pm

Babybus,

You are really being unfair to Saudi male F/A. There the best among F/A in the Middle East. They are hard working and very pleasant.

There is nothing in SV policy that prohibits Saudi F/A. Saudi females would rather work close to home than be in a different city every other night.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

babybus

Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:10 pm

I will add for the record that ,yes ,they are all very pleasant indeed.

slider

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:28 am

The law in Saudi Arabia is that boys below the age of 21 and all females are not allowed to travel abroad without their Husband/Father approval. The norm in the Kingdom is that all females now carry a small document with their passport that gives them the right to travel alone. This document is issued by the Passport Office upon the Father/Husband request. I can tell you that 90% of the females in SA have this document.

It's disturbing to me that no one here has taken umbrage to the fact that Saudi Arabia considers women a subservient class. But at least they carry their paperwork and proof of ownership with them.  Sad

sleak76

Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:51 pm

Slider

proof of ownership?

That's twisting it around abit.

ly7e7

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:19 pm

SV777KiloAlpha:

Thanks for the info!
BTW, if 90% are carrying the document and I would like to believe that this number will grow to be a 100%, why not abolish it at all?

Regards.

soups

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:54 pm

sso that women don'r run away.... lol u cant loose the item

SV777KiloAlpha

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:59 pm

Slider,

Saudi Arabia considers women a subservient class.

This is not true at all.
You are just being offensive and trying to move the discussion towards woman rights in Saudi Arabia. I will not fall for that cheap trick.

LY7E7,

There is now discussion to abolish that.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

keno

Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:16 pm

Babybus : There are women on board but they are not Saudi women. They are mostly from Malaysia, Lebanon and places like that

I think you meant Indonesia, not Malaysia.

babybus

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:45 pm

Actually, I think I meant the Philippines. And you are right KEno there are F/A's from Indonesia too!

soups

Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:52 pm

it might stoopid question but are there any US f/a working for SV

SV777KiloAlpha

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:29 am

Soups,

The majority of female F/A on SV flights are from:
1. Philippines
2. Morocco
3. Pakistan

Male F/A are 90% Saudis.

And no there are no US F/A currently working for SV.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

slider

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:31 am

Saudi Arabia considers women a subservient class.

This is not true at all.
You are just being offensive and trying to move the discussion towards woman rights in Saudi Arabia. I will not fall for that cheap trick.

SV- my intent was not to bait or be inflammatory (a little sarcastic perhaps), but the truth remains. I know this isn't a political forum, but if you believe Saudi women are not discriminated against, you are mistaken.

Women cannot drive, for instance, and there is a blatant sexual apartheid enforced.

My purpose wasn't to have a discussion of women's right in S.A., but to point out the obvious cruel irony in us talking about the service of female Saudi flight attendants who would have more authority onboard an aircraft than they do on the street of their homeland--if they were allowed to. It's institutional slavery, let's call it what it is.

[Edited 2004-07-01 20:33:41]

Ady

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:31 am

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Saudi Arabia Airlines will allow its own nationals to work as F/A's on domestic routes and not on international routes, but still a male must accompany the F/A while she's working. And its recent that they allowed Saudi Arabian women to work as flight attendants at all. I'll try to find the article and post it later.
If u ever feel depressed about urself, just remember that at one time you were the most vicious sperm in ur group.

SWA TPA

Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:44 am

A few years ago I saw a SV crew walking thru MCO. As I remember they were all women and wore a beautiful uniform!
Some wore teal, others wore green. Yes they had the hajib on. They also wore some kind of ornate neck/breast plate looking thing made of small pieces of what looked like thin little metal squares in varying colors of greens and blues. It was sooooo pretty!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

babybus

Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:43 am

SV: Male F/A are 90% Saudis.

What about the other 10% or don't they bother. It is only Saudi men who are allowed to work onboard. Apparently it is to do with the language as the high percentage of foreign female workers don't usually speak Arabic.

In all my experience, on all my flights, both international and domestic, I have never seen one non-Saudi male F/A.

Ady :I remember reading somewhere a while back that Saudi Arabia Airlines will allow its own (female) nationals to work as F/A's on domestic routes and not on international routes.

That dream has been ongoing for many years. I was told there are a lot of young Saudi girls who'd like to fly but the customs and traditions of the country rule that out. To be honest that isn't a nice job for ladies out there.

sleak76

Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:05 am

Guys

This conversation has really veered off the topic.

At least SV is changing and making a change. Give them credit for that. It takes time and not over-night.

Though I'm not an SV favorite myself, I have to say that there are changes going on with that airline and time should be the essence here.

Cheers.

SV777KiloAlpha

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:39 pm

Babybus

What about the other 10% or don't they bother

The remaining 10% are mostly senior F/A from other Arab countries.

Sleak76,

Thank you.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

sleak76

Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:51 pm

Anytime HZ-AKA.

Tistaahel.

Smile

ConcordeLoss

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:56 am

Yistaahel kil elly jaralah?
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer

sleak76

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:30 am

Concordeloss

Now which song did I hear those words in?

Big grin

ConcordeLoss

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:47 am

From Jawad Al-Ali a few years back.
"You're not as stupid as you look, or sound, or our best test indicates" Burns to Homer