Delta's Paint

Thu Feb 17, 2000 6:11 am

I know that Delta is repainting their planes. Any one know when they are going to finish? I flew them yesterday through Atl. and most of them have haven't been repainted and look very bad, paint peeling off them etc. Delta's planes used to look great but not any more.

747-600X

Estimate

Thu Feb 17, 2000 7:03 am

I think that because they are transitioning their fleet from older to newer, especially with some of the larger liners, it will be a while before they get done, at least a year. I would really like to see an L-1011 in the new livery before they go, that would be so beautiful!

BigGiraffe

RE: Delta's Paint

Thu Feb 17, 2000 7:14 am

Last week in Atlanta I noticed several of Delta's aircraft looking that way. It appears that they've scuff-sanded a lot of their aircraft and are operating them until it is their turn in the paint barn.

MD-90

RE: Ho Huzzah!

Thu Feb 17, 2000 10:36 am

I hope that no L-1011 ever appears in Delta's appalling new paint scheme for one reason and one reason only: it's UGLY. Continental airplanes look better than Delta's new aircraft. Their current scheme is classy, but the new one is no improvement. I haven't been through ATL recently, but it seems likely that some of them might seem sorta scruffy. The MD-88s and 737s that come to HSV always look nice.

Etops767

RE: Ho Huzzah!

Thu Feb 17, 2000 2:29 pm

I like DL's new paint scheme it looks fresh and bold.CO's paint scheme is nice too.UL's is ok but seems a little to dark and bland.US and NW have paint scheems that Darth Vadrer would be proud of, very dark and almost sinister looking.

jim

DL L10s Paint

Fri Feb 18, 2000 10:05 am

Sorry,people, but there is no way Delta will re-paint the L10s in the new livery.

The majority of the remaining L10s will be gone by Dec 2001. The 24 764s we will have by then (if the strike at Boeing ends) will replace them.

Jim

DL_Mech

Fri Feb 18, 2000 11:32 am

I wish that DL's planes were flying around scuff-sanded..no, that is just the white paint worn off. Some of the planes have been flying around for ten years without a paint job. Delta is only painting one A/C at a time (all narrowbodies) while BFG (Tramco) is painting the widebodies and some 757's at Everett. There is a website on geocities that has fantasy paint schemes of which the DL L-1011 is one of them. Sorry, I dont have the URL but I will post it if I find it. I used to poke fun at how bad UAL's old planes looked while they were changing their livery but now DL's look just as bad. Has anyone noticed how quickly the stripes on UA's new livery fades? I was disappointed when I first saw DL's new livery, I thought Landor could do better considering the other schemes that they have done (Old BA, Varig, JAL and others). I wish I could've seen the designs that didn't make the cut..
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

BigGiraffe

Fri Feb 18, 2000 9:01 pm

Man, that looked like scuff-sanding! I guess my mind couldn't comprehend a major carrier letting their aircraft deteriorate like that.

Agree with DL_MECH about the new colors...