AirlineFanatic
Topic Author

DL 73 IST-JFK Diverted Due To Explosion Event?

Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:42 pm

Today's nonstop DL 73 IST-JFK has been diverted to SNN, is this because of the explosion at IST?

Anyone have anymore info?

lxlgu

RE: DL 73 IST-JFK Diverted Due To Explosion Event?

Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:03 am

According to CRS diversion due to security screening
ETD Shannon 6.30pm
Cheers!

tu154m

Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:53 am

Yes..........from what I have heard there were some connecting pax from the THY flight that had the bomob on board. Everyone being rescreed and all bags/cargo getting the same. Fun!
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

CALMSP

Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:30 am

does anyone think this may be a little too jumpy?

PresRDC

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:27 am

Yes. Big overeaction.

whitehatter

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:35 am

Better safe than dead.

If there is a connection then the DL has to be checked just in case.

Remember it was a forwarded bag that brought down PA103

[Edited 2004-06-29 20:39:28]
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

artsyman

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:39 am

Yes. Big overeaction.

How can it possibly be a big over reaction when it is clear that someone managed to get a bomb past security that exploded on a plane at the airpor they just departed, and while you have some of the passengers from that previous flight onboard ?.

Add to this that DL is an American carrier, and with America currently being in the doghouse of more or less every country in the world, and with America being the main targeted enemy of all of the world's nutjobs.

Personally, I think it was a logical step to re-check this aircraft.

steve7e7

Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:23 am

I totally agree with the last 2 posts.....Lockerbie is still fresh in the minds of a lot of people in the UK......God forbid if it were ever to happen anywhere else again.

Steve.

mikeymike

Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:23 am

I totally agree that this was a necessary precaution that needs to be done. First a shoe bomb (AA flight from CDG), now a wallet bomb, what's next?. To the people who think this was a bit jumpy, what do you think should be the minimum to divert a plane, an actual explosion over mid-air?

snnams

Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:23 am

Agreed.. not an over-reaction.

Plane departed SNN just before 8 local this evening. It was on the ground here for at least three hours I think.

KateAV8

Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:14 am

Agreed...absolutely not an overreaction. I hate to use a cliche'...but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
Kate
The only justification for looking down on someone is to help them up

skibum9

Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:41 am

Glad to hear everything went OK with DL73.

I've got a question though....when a long-haul flight like this diverts, do they need to dump fuel to land? The leg from IST to SNN was 1928 miles, and the leg from SNN to JFK was 3072 miles, according to Delta, so when they diverted to SNN they still had a significant amount of fuel on board, enough to go to JFK plus reserves. Is the 767-300ER capable of landing with this amount of fuel?
Tailwinds!!!

AWspicious

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:25 pm

"Is the 767-300ER capable of landing with this amount of fuel?"

Evidently, yes. One did so tonight, here at YYZ. Took off for Sao Paulo (over 9 hour flight) and returned about 20min later due to technicalities. Declared a heavy landing (announced #pax, crew and fuel weight) and stopped within a reasonable distance. I believe the 767 cannot dump it's fuel.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

CX Flyboy

Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Not at all an over-reaction. Does anyone remember the incident years ago when there was a bomb at some airport (Can't remember where) and a 707 departed with the flight engineer feeling very uneasy. He eventually forced the other guys to divert and offloaded all bags, one of which subsequently exploded, killing some people on the ground. More than one bomb had gotten through security that day,

Jumpseat70

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:58 pm

I find it disturbing that anyone on the ground, who is safe and sound, would use the word "over-reaction" to describe an airlines attempt to circumvent any type of terror towards its indefensible passengers.

Cost of diversion notwithstanding, a safe airline does what it deems necessary to ensure its crew and passengers are out of harms way.

These comments would undoubtedly be different if that same individual were in that airplane and equally concerned about his personal safety.

It is always interesting how quickly personal agendas change when personal safety is involved at 36,000 feet.

Delta always "over reacts"...Thank God!!
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

artsyman

Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:26 pm

I find it disturbing that anyone on the ground, who is safe and sound, would use the word "over-reaction" to describe an airlines attempt to circumvent any type of terror towards its indefensible passengers.

The people that crow on about over reactions are the same ones that take every opportunity to attack more or less everything that any American company does. There is no need to make this thread political, but there is little point in continuing with the thread without acknowledging that these are the reasons that these people make these comments. The comments are not based on logic or any sense of reality, and as you quite rightly pointed out, these same people would be the first to have a puddle below their seats.

J

tu154m

Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:36 am

AWspicious.................all 767ER models, both -200 and -300 can dump fuel. The non-ER models cannot. On ER models you will notice a nozzle just outboard of the ailerons........this is for fuel jettison purposes.
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

PresRDC

Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:29 am

Didn't see the earlier post in which it said that some passengers had connected from the affected flight. In that case, the diversion was wise as there had clearly been a security failure somehwere along the way.

Had there been no connecting passengers, luggage or cargo and just a coincidence as to the airport, it would have been an overreaction.

skibum9

Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:22 am

Yes a 767ER can dump fuel. Proof is in the photo!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter D. Baumgartner

I've got a picture of a Delta 767-300ERE dumping fuel over Cincinnati, but have no clue on how to post it.
Tailwinds!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos