Qantasclub
Topic Author

The World's Most Unsafe Airline

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:29 pm

Was just wondering which carriers you guys would rate as the most unsafe airline-it's one thing to have a 'perception' of airlines that are unsafe vs the actual figures based on FRE which stands for fatal event rate which is a measure of how many crashes/fatalities over the number of flights:
These figures are taken from www.airsafe.com: go and have a look

[Edited 2004-07-02 06:29:50]

[Edited 2004-07-02 06:40:46]
Long Haul is the only way to go

777ualsfo

RE: The World's Most Unsafe Airline

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:35 pm

You are really looking at the wrong column to compare.

You should be comparing the rate (first column)
For this
UAL 0.37
AA 0.54
HIGHEST AirTran 5.88

Definition of the FLE is FLE - Full Loss Equivalent: This is the sum of the proportions of passengers killed for each fatal event. For example, 50 out of 100 passengers killed on a flight is an FLE of 0.50, 1 of 100 would be a FLE of 0.01. The fatal event rate for a set of fatal events is found by dividing the total FLE by the number of flights in millions.

So, this just tells you which airlines had accidents in which most of the passengers were killed - of course this is high for UAL and AA who both lost two large airliners to terrorists in 2001!

Most airlines rates are within the same range - shows how safety has improved over the years.

777ER
Crew

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:38 pm

So, according to this list, AA and UA are one the most unsafe airlines in the world, EVEN accounting for their high number of flights.

What do you guys think? Are you surprised by any of the above scores?

AA and UA don't surprise me considering the amount of aircraft the Airline and their subsideries operate,
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:42 pm

ok, 777ualsfo-thanks, that does make sense-if I have time later, i will compile a list of the correct column. It's an interesting website for people to look at anyway.
Long Haul is the only way to go

cloudy

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:20 pm

What do you guys think? Are you surprised by any of the above scores?
AA and UA don't surprise me considering the amount of aircraft the Airline and their subsideries operate,
-----

Notice that he said "The fatal event rate for a set of fatal events is found by dividing the total FLE by the number of flights in millions."

This means the size on an airline is accounted for.

Since fatal events are so rare in airline travel, however, a single event can really skew the results. That is why airtran's is so high - it accounts for the Valuejet crash some time ago. Since Airtran does not fly nearly as many flights as AA, this makes for a higher figure.

If there were a dozen or so fatal events per year per major airline, maybe we would have enough incidents to draw conclusions. Since the number of fatal events even for a whole year is not statistically significant, we cannot really know how "safe" any given airline is.

That being said, a while back Korean Air had a pretty bad reputation. In fact, it was bad enough for the US defense department to prohibit their personel from flying on the airline. Their record also scared their codeshare partners (Delta I believe was one of them, I could be wrong). Their partners sent some experienced pilots and mechanics to teach Korean Air how to do things better, and their record improved.

travatl

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:40 pm

OMG - This stupid website again. That "5.88" rating has been around for about 7 years, when ValuJet first became AirTran. And about once a year, somebody posts something about it on this forum...then all the fools jump on the "AirTran's unsafe!" bandwagon, and pull out this NTSB report, and that NTSB report, spouting half truths, and unsourced information.

These days, if an airline is flying in the US, it's perfectly safe.

GOOD DAY!

Travis

jetdeltamsy

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:14 pm

airtran may have a high rate, but they've only had one loss. it was a doozey, but just one.

i think it's a very safe operation.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

cessnalady

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:28 pm

QUESTION: (don't shoot me!)

Is there any chance that any accident goes unreported? Example: there was a lot of talk, about 10-12 years ago, that TAESA, a now-defunct airline in Mexico, had lost a ferrying B732 near MZT, and that the news piece was hushed at all costs... I haven't found anything related to such pretended accident - other than the pertinent a/c being registered as a "write-off" due to age and "structural damage du to metal fatigue - crystallization"...

What about accidents in the former Soviet Union / Communist block? Were they all reported/leaked to the Western world?

Marie

travatl

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:32 pm

Not only that, if you use the figures that airsafe.com itself uses, and then add the flights that AirTran has flown since this was actually started, AirTran's "Flights" column has actually jumped to .92 (this site "flights" hasn't been updated since 1998 when AirTran was flying 230 flts a day). THEN you divide the FLE by the total number of flights in millions, it gives you a new "RATE" of 1.08, down from 5.88....still twice as high as say American's, but a fifth of what it was 7 years ago. However, it still shows then just how ludicrous this "analysis method" is.

If jetBlue had a crash tomorrow, despite their fleet being only 10 fewer than AirTran's, their "RATE" would jump through the ceiling simply because they have far fewer flights a day (so many transcons), and thus fewer flights to compare to.

This guy should be run out of town for posting what looks to be legitimate data, when it is actually nothing but dramatic drivel.

Travis

Lufthansa

Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:36 pm

I think this is the wrong measure

I would be more concerned about carriers that have trouble gaining spares, training and techonology thanks to UN and US sanctions. For example, IRANAIR, or that recent south american, i think it was Aerocontie?

Also, I'd be concerned about carriers in Africa that disregard proceedures/regulations thanks to corrupt attutides (such as the former Nigeria Airways) or that the president of their Tin Pot country desides to "borrow" there 1965 727-100.

I've heard rumors that Biman has major problems with their F28s, and some of the former soviet republics "new" private airlines did have problems in the early and mid-nineties, but these seem to have been cleared up. I ersonally would feel much safer on an Aeroflot Tu-154 or just about any 727-200 leaving Rio di Geniro, than anything in central Africa. Some of their airports don't even have fences, let alone anything else.

surrenr

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:12 pm

CHINA AIRLINES!!!!!!

wgw2707

Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:27 pm

AeroContinente (or AeroCocainente as I like to call it) was blacklisted primarily because of the founder's association in the drug trade, although I would not be at all suprised if their maintenance is subpar.

China Airlines is probably one of the more unsafe airlines. From all accounts, their pilots are crazy. If I ever need to go to TPE, I'll probably fly another airline.

KAL used to have a bad reputation, but they have improved.

Orient Thai is supposed to be a disaster waiting to happen, but since someone's wrecking their planes I don't think we have to worry about it anymore...

There is a risk associated with most charter airlines operating to Jeddah. One should perhaps avoid Northeast Bolivian Airlines, and most of the African airlines. I would guess North Korea's flag carrier Air Koryo is pretty darn unsafe...

-WGW2707

soups

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:41 pm

NIGERIA AIRLINES.......
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ra-85154

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:50 pm

I would guess North Korea's flag carrier Air Koryo is pretty darn unsafe...

Well, why then? Because they are the airline of a poor country??

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:55 pm

Soups: do you mean Nigerian registered airlines, or is there actually a Nigerian Airlines? Any experience of flying them (or any Nigerian aircraft)? Cheers

oly720man

Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:26 pm

Airline safety is one of those statistics that is impossible to quantify sensibly because the data is so sparse. It's like rail crashes, one incident has lots of casualties. The same number of people may die through car crashes or hospital mishaps or smoking/drugs/alcohol, but they aren't noticed.

A crash is really the only visible sign. What goes on behind the scenes, sloppy maintenance, wrong parts, fake parts, slack attitudes, culture (what P1 says goes), etc etc, that may not necessarily cause crashes, but lead to greater risk of serious incidents are probably a greater concern.

A number of airlines were recently banned from UK airspace because of such concerns, though I don't think any of the concerned airlines had suffered any crashes.

Andy
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Russophile

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:17 pm

I would guess North Korea's flag carrier Air Koryo is pretty darn unsafe...

You'd be guessing wrong. They have some of the most well maintained aircraft on the planet. Anyone can tell me of any Chosonminhang crashes?

aa757first

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:26 pm

Air Koyro has a really nice webpage. The links don't even work!

http://www.air-koryo.com/

AAndrew

JGPH1A

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:30 pm

I suspect the Air Koryo site you found is probably a fake. Somehow I doubt Air Koryo would put IL-76 freighters on its front page header !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cx123

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:37 pm

I think the following airlines are a NO GO:

CI
SU
(Any African Airlines except SAA)
AA (well The MD80)

JGPH1A

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:40 pm

CX123 - that's a bit unfair to carriers like KQ, ET, SW, QM who all have pretty good safety records (except for the KQ 310 that went down off West Africa). Even SA had 3 fatal accidents in its career, although fairly well spread apart.

1. The Viscount crash off the Wild Coast, I think in the 50's
2. The 707 "Pretoria" crash at Windhoek, in the early 60's
3. The "Helderberg" 747 combi onboard fire/crash off Mauritius in the 80's.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LVZXV

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:41 pm

Just a little paradox:

Aero Continente's maintenance is subpar.
TAM's maintenance is excellent.

Aero Continente has never lost an aircraft, since founded in 1992.
TAM has lost 5 Fokker 100s in the last 10 years, with a total of 97 fatalities.

Draw your own conclusions.

XV

How do you say "12 months" in Estonian?

StanstedFlyer

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:49 pm

Surely the old Aeroflot pre break up must be in there. After all, how many incidents/accidents do you think were actually reported, especially domestic ones. Shhhhhhhhh!!
View the photos by C Newman on Airliners.net!

cx123

Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:53 pm

I find that Air Safety site is Complete RUBBISH!

Soem airline that crashed so many times (eg. AA) so not be given an A Rating (Especially it is due to pilot ot aircraft failure).

Compare to CX which has a clean record, other than the terrorist bombing.

Someone said QF is the safest airline, but I think it is bullshit. The BKK incident.
The AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-SYD - Emergency incident

The table cloth/blanket sealing the exit incidents

etc......

IL76

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:07 pm

I flew CI once and I won't fly them again. A very unpleasant experience when it came to flying skills of the pilots. At that time I thought their pilots were pretty crazy. Now that I've heard quite a few other people saying the same, I believe my bad experience was not just caused by a one-off bad day of the pilots.
I don't feel safe on that airline.
They've also had a few crashes in the past decade which already has ruined their safety record...

cx123

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:11 pm

Agree with QantasClub.

I think the following airlines are unsafe:

CI
AI
SU

ra-85154

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:22 pm

I think the following airlines are a NO GO:

SU

You think so?

Come on...give me a break...

The Aeroflot of today has a very good record and is in no way comparable to its Soviet predecessor, which btw was not unsafe either (although many people still won't accept that) , taking into account the size of the fleet back then, the number of flights made, the flying environment in the USSR then and so on...

cx123

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:28 pm

It is like someone once quote, Born as a bit*h, you die a bitc8.

I know now SU have new aircrafts, but unfortunately the history has tarnished the brand way too much, and Russians unfortunately it NOT Reputable in providing safe Engineering (eg. the Sub that sank, the MIR space station, Nucleaer power station failure etc...)

Lufthansa

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:35 pm

I've got to say ppl pick on Aeroflot unfairly.

They had some of the best trained staff around during the soviet days, most where trained by the airforce and lets not forget where they actually flew. Siberia folks, isn't exactly friendly country and many western aircraft struggle to even power up in their deep-freeze conditions. For years, Tupolevs, while happily consuming nearly double the fuel of modern western types, stood up to the challenge no problems. Nobody said anything about service, but this company was basically run in the same way the air force was, so i think you wouldn't be too concerned about getting there in one piece.

If there was an unsafe time, it was shortly after the Fall of the USSR, with resources streched, uncertainly and curruption causing all aspects of that region to suffer. Today, I wouldn't hesitate to fly on them. Their pilots are well educated, tupolevs, whilest hardly effecient are dependable, and lets not forget this company has A320s and 777s. It's hardly some bankrupt 3rd world crack pot carrier.

cx123

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:42 pm

From Skytrax:

Aeroflot - by A Merry

16 April 2004

On Tuesday 6th April we were scheduled to take the non-stop 9.45am Aeroflot flight from Ulan Bator, Mongolia, to Moscow (SU 564). The flight took off exactly an hour late, with a surprising number of men in business suits boarding the plane very close to the late take-off. Another surprise was that although the seat-belts sign came on there was no safety demonstration prior to take-off, and no flight attendant checked that we were correctly seated. The next surprise was to find the plane descending far too soon for Moscow. We duly landed, with no announcements or attendants communicating with the passengers. On landing a Russian or Mongolian speaker sat next to us was clearly confused, and asked us in broken English whether this was Moscow. Presumably therefore there had been no prior explanation at the airport in his language - there certainly wasn't one in English. Many passengers, including us, stayed in their seats, but it soon became clear that the attendants wished us all to leave - by their rather brusque hand gestures. As we left (the last to do so) we saw members of the crew sitting down with plastic cups containing amber -coloured liquid in the business class section. After an hour in what we presume was Novosibiersk (translating from Russian signs) we were hand- waved back on board. The businessmen who had joined the plane on the tarmac after our long wait at Ulan Bator did not reboard. The seat-belts sign came on and a flight-attendant rushed up and down with two fingers held up and saying something like "two hours to Moscow". Three and a half hours later we landed at Moscow. Again there was no safety demonstration. On this descent the flight attendant who had presumably been in business class as we had not seen her before, did check that passengers were belted in with seats upright etc before we landed. This did not prevent several of the unoccupied seats crashing forward. In a return journey from Heathrow to Ulan Bator we took four Aeroflot flights. The other three were fine, and we felt the flights were professionally run. This flight was disturbing, and the fact that two take-offs and two landings were completed with no safety demonstration has damaged Aeroflot's image and ruined the good impression we were otherwise left with.

soups

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:49 pm

i mean nigeria airlines (when it existed) been also on nigeria registred aircraft internal flights and its disgusting, u got some rice on the floor the lady sitting next to me even had a rooster in plastic bag!!! on her lap all the time! thats was probably her dinner! lol there was also a japanese guy who refused to get on the flight because his seat was soaking wet (dunno why)...
i would prefer to fly LOS-AMS-ABV or LOS-LHR-ABV instead of a direct flight with a nigerian airlines
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

hz747300

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm

I would guess any airline operating Russian turboprops in Angola. I believe there was a time when they had two shot down in one week, and four in a few months time.
Keep on truckin'...

rwylie77

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:15 pm

Aeroflot's reputation for me has always been tarnished ever since the pilot let his son fly the plane who proceeded to dis-engage the autopilot on the A310. The plane entered a spin and crashed, all people on board were killed.

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/f-ogqs/photo.shtml

american762

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:31 pm

One picture sums up my thoughts:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © M.Oertle

Pan Am has a place of its' own. You call it the world, we call it home.

LVZXV

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:37 pm

American762:

Could you back up your thoughts with some facts and figures, perhaps?

XV

JJMNGR

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:40 pm

XV, just clarifying something.

TAM had 99 fatalities in on accident after taking off CGH airport. Proved to be manufatcure malfunction of the reverse. 96 ON BOARD, 03 IN LAND.

Another accident involved 01 fatality. One engine exploded during the flight and part of the engine entered into the fuselage and hit a woman. Aircraft is flying!

Another thing was that a maniac decided to suicide and decided to explode a bomb inside an aircraft. Unfortunately TAM was chosen. Seems doen´t have anything to do with the company. Aircraft is flying!

One of F100 landed due to the nose landing gear did not work. A safe landing in VCP. Aircraft is flying and no fatality!

Other F100 had a fuel pump leak and lost fuel during flight. Aircraft had a forced land in a farm. Aircraft out of service and no fatality.

02 F100 loses, not 05. As You said, maintenance is excellent. Seems to me something wrong with Fokkers...but can tell you. I fly all of them with no problem...

n757kw

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:08 pm

I picked up a saying from a professor in college, "Statistics lie! You can make statistics say anything you want."

We all worry about plane crashes because we have little control and they can kill hundreds at a time. Yet, everyday in the U.S. people are killed in car accidents at much higher rates than plane crashes. As my brother says, "It is acceptable killing."

Fly Safe!

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

elcapi1980

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:13 pm

I think that Airtran and Valujet shoudn't be together after all. airtran was created with their aircraft, yes that is truth, but as new corporation (airtran)..they have 0 accidents...
I love you barranquilla!!!!!

CXA330300

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:17 pm

CI doesn't have a very good safety record, but G-d forbid SU! Letting children into the cockpit....................
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

PHLBOS

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:40 pm

So, this just tells you which airlines had accidents in which most of the passengers were killed - of course this is high for UAL and AA who both lost two large airliners to terrorists in 2001

Don't forget about AA Flight 587 which crashed shortly after takeoff 2 months following 9/11; which make for a total of 3 large aircraft for American. Had convicted shoe-bomber Richard Reid been successful in blowing up AA63; American would've lost 4 large aircraft in a very short period of time.

Not only that, if you use the figures that airsafe.com itself uses, and then add the flights that AirTran has flown since this was actually started, AirTran's "Flights" column has actually jumped to .92 (this site "flights" hasn't been updated since 1998 when AirTran was flying 230 flts a day). THEN you divide the FLE by the total number of flights in millions, it gives you a new "RATE" of 1.08, down from 5.88....still twice as high as say American's, but a fifth of what it was 7 years ago. However, it still shows then just how ludicrous this "analysis method" is.

If the number of flights haven't been updated since '98, then the 9/11 crashes, Flight 587 and the AA MD-82 crash in either '99 or 2000 (don't have the flight number for that one, I think it was 14__) would not have been counted. If that is indeed the case, then the analysis is grossly obsolete and the above UA and AA crashes (along with others) would not have been factored in.

It seems like airsafe.com site may be biased against FL.  Yeah sure

[Edited 2004-07-02 16:59:15]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

anthsaun

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:53 pm

In order to come up with an easy rating lets take two considerations:

Accidents rate: Number of accidents divided by the total of aircrafts ever operated by the airline, times 100. (10 accidents/566 ac) 100 = 1.7%

Deaths rate: Number of deaths divided by the total amount of people ever flown by the airline, times 100. (460 deaths/98,753,159 pax) 100= 0.000465%

Remember the Concorde accident? It put Concorde as the most fatal aircraft just because of one single accident.

Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

PA110

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:54 pm

CX123,
That description of the SU flight from ULN to MOW sounds exactly like my experience from MOW to IKT several years earlier. No safety demo, an unexplained and unscheduled landing in OMS, asked to leave the aircraft without any explanation, reboarded and continued to IKT again without any safety demo.

There are alot of folks on a.net zealously defending against SU bashing. While I'm sure that international services have improved tremendously, I wonder how much has changed on internal services.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

nealcg

Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:38 am

Come on people we all know the truth...

WN is a major tragedy waiting to happen!

LVZXV

Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:43 am

JJMNGR:

Point taken, but that is still 5 serious incidents and 3 hull-losses in 10 years. I never saw pictures but the I read that the F100 that suffered catastrophic engine failure lost a 2m x 2m piece of the fuselage. Considering the size of the F100, I don't think it should have been RTS.
The bomb, as far as I know, was set by a maniac but killed an innocent passenger.
Much as I love TAM, there is something definitely wrong with those Fokkers. I was on an aborted flight last year due to a broken cockpit window latch. And I know many Brazilians who've reported similar "technical" stories with the Fokkers, yet the Airbuses are comparatively problem-free.
Must be the F100, because even the older F28s in South America don't seem to suffer serious technical problems on such as regular basis.

XV

san2snow

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:13 am

This is a tad bit off topic but there use to be a website that would figure out your odds of being in an airplane accident. I was wondering if anybody has seen the site or remember the web address for it. It would have you put in where you are going, who you were flying on, the equipment type if you knew it, etc. and then figure out the odds.
If you want to improve, Be content to be thought foolish and stupid

VIAF

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:50 am

Perhaps China Airlines !

njoizflyin

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:52 am

I have a suggestion: stop inventing reasons to be afraid, its not natural or healthy to purposely try to make yourself and others fear irrationally. You could die crossing the street or riding in your car. I honestly feel a million times safer at cruise in a modern jetliner than anywhere else. Very little traffic up there not like on the ground.

DIJKKIJK

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:59 am

"So is Air India/Indian Airlines, and PIA. If you've ever been to this part of the world, and you know "how they do things", it's not surprising."

Sorry for this Qantasclub/CX123 , but this reeks of sheer prejudice and you have no data to support this, so it actually can be termed "bullshit"!

Having travelled to India several times, I'm actually impressed how much they do despite their lack of resources to keep their planes safe. Their service may not be upto the mark but when it comes to safety they are as good as anyone else.

Not to mention the very frightening "nomad" flight I had in Australia a few years ago. I'd choose an AI/IC flight anyday over that!

Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

LVZXV

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:07 am

San2snow:

www.AmIGoingDown.com has gone down itself. I remember that the odds it gave for an internal flight in Peru on a B737 or F28 were something like 1 in 52!  Wow!

XV

ushermittwoch

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:09 am

I would be weary to fly on any SMALL carrier in Nepal, Bolivia or some similar country.
As for MAJOR airlines, well, I trust them all enough to give them a shot.

Where have all the tri-jets gone...