Spoon04
Topic Author

What's The Deal

Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:51 pm

According to various media sources, a Sacramento, CA family is verbally slamming America West due to the carrier's serving peanuts on board flights which transported the family to Mexico recently. One of the children is highly allergic to peanuts, and prior to purchasing tickets, the family attempted to have America West GUARANTEE no peanuts would be served on board. America West wouldn't, and COULDN'T make the guarantee, but the family assumed that a "peanut free" environment would be forthcoming. NOT !! Now then, I'm not trying to sound ignorant about peanut-based allergies, but how serious are they? Is it possible that "peanut particles" suspended in the air within a closed environment can cause serious allergic reactions even without consumption? Just curious....

Okie

RE: What's The Deal

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:16 pm

America West wouldn't, and COULDN'T make the guarantee, but the family assumed that a "peanut free" environment would be forthcoming

Duh

Now then, I'm not trying to sound ignorant about peanut-based allergies, but how serious are they?

I think pretty serious for the very very few.

My question would be how do they function in normal life, movie theaters, restaurants, the mall, workplace, school, grocery store, the kid down the street walking into your house with a package of Reese's?

Sounds like they should of just flown on a private jet.

Okie

JGPH1A

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:25 pm

Peanut allergies can be very dangerous indeed - my niece's preschool in North Reading MA specifically forbids peanuts or peanut products in the kids lunch boxes, in case any of the other kids are allergic.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Spoon04
Topic Author

Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:44 pm

Again, please forgive my ignorance, but do people with peanut allergies have the same reactions to other nuts (i.e. cashews, almonds, etc.)? It would seem to me that airlines would free themselves of all liability if they would just serve some other type of snack. Personally, I wish more airlines would bring back the smoked almonds. I would imagine though the cost for those would be prohibitive.

greasespot

Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:00 am

Peanuts are not nuts. Therefore some people can have no problems with other nuts. Having said that though many people who are allergic to peanuts are also allergic to nuts as well.

Yes the allergy can be that serious. My little brother is allergic to peanuts and if I eat peanuts and not wash my hands then touch him he will have a reaction through the skin. The problem is unlike many other allergies peanuts allergies tend to induce a anaphalytic(sp) response. Meaning their throat swells up. Now banning them is not the answer. My brother has a epipen and takes that if required then gets to a hospital. When he is on a plane he knows if he has a reaction the plane can be diverted.

Greasespot.
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

oly720man

Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:08 am

wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Catatonic

Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:28 am

they should have taken a different plane then if they were so concerned, go with a lo cost carrier that doesnt serve food or that the food is so expensive people would rather starve, ryanair and easyjet are perfect examples. And besides (gets stroppy) where does this madness end? do airlines stop selling booze, sop using cleaning product, how far should airlines go to accomodate people with allergies???
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:26 am

Most airlines I have flown on in the last 10-15 years do not serve peanuts (which, as already pointed out is not a nut, but a pea).

Peanut allergy is sort of different in that it is hazardous even if you do not touch or ingest the peanuts. Just being in the vicinity can be dangerous. So anything else can be served (strawberries, shellfish, etc..) without causing allergic reactions.

The other thing is that allergies can kill if you don't get treatment at once, and since you're stuck in a metal tube...

So, Catatonic, I definitely think that airlines should accomodate people who are allergic, since it's rather easy to do so. With the exception of the peanuts ban, all you need are special meals.

There is one other case though. My wife is violently allergic to cats, as in her eyes swell up until she is blind and she coughs uncontrollably. So I think all animals need to go in the hold regardless of size, OR there should be specified animal free flights.

In this case though, if the airline could not guarantee a peanut free environment, and said so, I don't see their argument.

My $0.02.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

dtwclipper

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:32 am

I'm sorry, but this is just over the top. I don't expect the world to revolve around me, though many in my household believe I do, so why do these people expect the rest of us to be "pea"nalized for their issues.

Yes allergies are a problem, but don't make an airline suffer because you have an issue.

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

JGPH1A

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:35 am

Re: So I think all animals need to go in the hold regardless of size

I'd agree with that, even disregarding the allergy problem. Except for seeing-eye dogs, animals should travel cargo.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:38 am

I agree that this family's reaction was over the top. After all, the airline had told them what to expect. Duh... Darwin takes care of those people.

But in general, if I were an airline exec, I wouldn't want somebody to die onboard from an allergic reaction brought on by something I provided.

It's just peanuts, not the rest of your food. Peanuts are singled out because the symptoms are particularly severe. Feel free to serve other things which many people are allergic to:
- Walnuts.
- Shellfish.
- Dairy.
- Pasta and bread with gluten.
- Strawberries.
- Cherries.

Can you give up your peanuts for a couple of hours?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tekelberry

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:47 am

so why do these people expect the rest of us to be "pea"nalized for their issues.

Because otherwise they're running the risk of death. I guess it's too much to ask you to give up a few peanuts in order to save a life.

Some airlines will rid the entire plane of peanuts prior to flight if asked with a medical certificate.

Greg

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:00 am

Shouldn't thousands of schoolchildren died already because of this peanut issue? I mean, during the 60's, 70's, 80's weren't peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches the staple for lunchboxes? They should have been dropping like flies.

Any shouldn't anyone with an allergy SO severe as to cause death, best be transported by private means (family car). Who the hell expects and airline to guarantee a peanut free environment? They can't even guarantee your luggage doesn't have a better vacation than you.

What do they do in a restaurant? A no peanut section?
WHAT DO THEY DO AT THE CIRCUS??? OR A BALLGAME???

Kidding about some, but not all..

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:04 am

''Some airlines will rid the entire plane of peanuts prior to flight if asked with a medical certificate.''

I don't want to make this thread sillier than it already is, but how could an airline guarantee there would be no peanuts on-board? Even if they haven't catered any and super-cleaned the plane, any other passenger could carry a packet with them.

Does liability in case of allergic reaction rest with the airline or the food-terrorist who opens a bag of nuts?

This family have a horrible predicament, but if the condition is so bad as to be life-threatening, weren't they being just a wee bit cavalier with their daughter's life by just the very risk of exposure?

air2gxs

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:06 am

I guess I'm just callous, but if I or a member of my family is allergic, offended afraid, etc., of something, it is up to me to avoid the object. The airline should not hold any of the burden past me asking that the item not be served to me.

Why should someone, or a group of someones, be penalized for my "disability". Sure allergies are a pain, and a peanut, shellfish, etc. allergy can be deadly, but that is my problem. I'm deathly allergic to bee/wasp/hornet stings, I don't hold the golf course responsible for eliminating all the bugs on the course.

njoizflyin

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:08 am

These peanut allergies aren't the actual peanuts but the pesticides sprayed onto the fields in which they are grown. Go organic and your problems may disappear in most cases.

scbriml

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:13 am

OK, this is a hijack! Nobody move, or I'll open this packet of peanuts!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

StearmanNut

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:14 am

Leaves me out. I'm allergic to women.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...

ushermittwoch

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:20 am

@ Delayedagain:

I was also wondering what measures will be taken if somebody does open a bag of peanuts. Are the Marshalls going to take him down?
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:21 am

What do they do in a restaurant? A no peanut section?
WHAT DO THEY DO AT THE CIRCUS??? OR A BALLGAME???

You don't have to land the restaurant/circus/ballpark to get the person who can't breathe to a hospital. Airplanes are tricky that way.

And as I said, peanuts are a special case since you don't actually have to eat them to get severe symptoms. Avoiding stuff you have to eat to get symptoms is pretty easy. Avoiding stuff floating in the air is something else.

It's just peanuts. The allergics aren't asking us to give up a huge chunk of our lives. I don't really feel penalized if I don't get peanuts. They're fattening anyway  Big grin

Interesting facts about peanut allergy:
- Affects 1.3% of the population. So it's not like the chances are minimal to have a pax onboard with it. Granted, not all are severaly allergic.
- As many as one third of those allergic experience severe reactions.
- Reactions can begin and proceed rapidly, in extreme cases proving fatal within minutes.

Read this http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15618&page=1 if you want. Interesting.

7e72004

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:23 am

If they know there is a possibility that peanuts will be served, then drive...i think people like them, and the fat ones that sue the airlines are ridiculous...get a fu*king life. I don't think that the airlines should have to bend every rule for people; if you don't/can't fly...drive...GEEZ!
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

ORDINDUAFLYER

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:23 am

Delayedagain....was thinking along the same lines. The airline can decide not to serve anything containing peanuts or anything processed in a plant that also processes peanuts....but they can't control what other pax are bringing on the plane in that regard. (I'm picturing TSA & security checkpoints, and a big box filled with food products...  Big grin )

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:37 am

But if you're an airline CEO, do you really want the New York Time headline to be: "Passenger dies on board due to peanuts served by x Airlines???

No matter how little it's the airline's fault, they'll be on the headline.

If people take peanuts onboard with them, that's normally fine. It's one thing if one or two bags are opened, but if everyone gets peanuts and opens them, it's something else.

As for the "let them drive" and "airlines should not bend over" school, I assume you also think that airlines should not assist the elderly and handicapped with wheelchairs, the blind with guidance, the vegetarians with special meals or even the parents with their infants... It's not like they're asking you not to eat anything, or even to give up most of the foodstuffs. It's just the peanuts. Seems like a small sacrifice...

[Edited 2004-07-02 19:38:17]

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:38 am

How much will it cost the aircraft maufacturers and/or airlines to add another sign in the overhead panel. Along with the seatbelt and the no smoking, we now need one with a bag of nuts with a thick red line across it.
it could, of course, be safely switched off after all 400 passengers had been interrogated to make sure none of us minded. I'd be happy to pay the extra $10 or whatever per ticket to pay for the installation if it meant the sacramento family didn't have to go by greyhound  Smile
it's been a long week, good night and good weekend y'all.

md80fanatic

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:16 am

Just being in the vicinity can be dangerous.

I guess it's possible that someone could be allergic to a peanut if they touch it or ingest it....but this is going way too far. Peanuts DO NOT emit anything that could enter the respiratory system. How does the allergic person KNOW when a peanut is nearby? This is most likely the placebo principle in action. A person who is a known allergic to peanuts....when one enters their field of view...they all the sudden will have allergic reactions or they will start to imagine that they are having allergic reactions. Can you spell $$$$$?

Peanuts have been around for thousands of years and this "allergy" is only in it's infancy. Kinda wierd.

7e72004

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:32 am

But if i want to eat peanuts on an airplane..i am goingto eat peanuts on an airplane!

soups

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:33 am

BA wouldnt offer any penuts on any flights i was on LAX-LHR and a lady next to me started complaing she dont like petzels or similar thing with her drink.... i look @ the lady and said 'though sh*t)
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

PHLBOS

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:23 am

One option for the individual (who's allergic to peanuts) would be to see which airline (assuming there's a choice of carriers in the given itinerary) typically serve peanuts and which ones don't. Assuming one can get a similar priced-itinerary on Airline A vs. Airline B; just pick the airline that doesn't serve peanuts. If the issue isn't listed on the airline's website, then call the airline itself and ask. While the operator may not be able to give you the answer, they should be able to transfer you to a department or individual that knows the answer.

I do know WN, TZ, & C8 still serve peanuts on most of their flights; honey-roasted to be exact. XJ sometimes serves granola bars (some flavors may have peanuts in them). FL and NW usually serve pretzels on their flights; love the buttery pretzels that NW serves... I digress. Big grin

US and DL usually serve some type of chips; at least on the flights I've been on.

I'm not sure about the other carriers.

I recall a discussion thread a couple of months ago regarding which airline(s) still serve peanuts (it's probably archived by now). Maybe one should see if that thread has more information.

"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

7e72004

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:27 am

But the problem is even if you find an airline that does not serve peanuts...you still have the problem of passengers bringing their own on board. I have brought honey roasted peanuts with me on a couple of occasions. You can't tell other passengers that you cant bring on nuts!  Big thumbs up

StarCruiser

Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:06 pm

I haven't been served peanuts by an airline in many years. Every AA, CO, DL, NW, TW and UA flight I have been on has served pretzels, which I prefer anyway. The last time I was on WN was quite a number of years ago, and I think they served peanuts, but am not sure.

On the occasions I have been able to get an upgrade smoked almonds were served in first.

In the case of this particular family, I think they were foolish to get on the plane in the first place when told that America West could not guarantee that no peanuts would be aboard. To get on anyway was their own fault, so I see no reason for them to complain. You know what they say about people who ASSUME.

I understand allergies and am an asthmatic. As such, I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. For that reason I don't patronize smoke filled bars or restaurants (which are rapidly disappearing anyway). I also don't visit people who have cats as I am allergic to cats. But I believe those who wish to smoke may do so in designated areas and people should be allowed to have cats in the privacy of their own homes! I consider it my problem, and I am careful to avoid situations in which I might have an attack. These idiots should do the same.

Catatonic

Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:59 am

Starlionblue, so what does your wife do if a cat walks past her in the street? should all cats be banned from everywhere cos ur wife gets a bit snively at the sight of them? In my highly regarded scientific researched based jerry springer style opinion people who have allergies only have themselves to blame (and their mothers and the environment and maybe george w bush aswell) for just being to super hygenically clean that their immune system gets bored and starts doing crazy things. in my opinion people with allergies should go around licking the kitchen floor, it would do them the world of good! And Starlionblue, i speak on behalf of all passengers on planes who like their penuts and a cat on their lap to share them with when i say its all to easy to blame cats and peanuts for the worlds problems but its time we started facing up to our own problems which we create!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.