Iberia340600
Topic Author

Its Official! IB Miami HUB To Close Oct. 1st

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:22 am

Hot off the press. The Miami HUB is done as of October 1st.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=5578125
Visca Barça!!

ushermittwoch

RE: Its Official! IB Miami HUB To Close Oct. 1st

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:30 am

I recall EVERYBODY being bashed for predicting this.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

767-332ER

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:30 am

Sad to see the baby buses go. Will IB plan on another hub whether at HAV or anywhere else or are they just gonna go with the direct flights? I know the article states the use of direct flights, but really...how feasable are these operations if they can't fill the a/c?
Regards
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

richardw

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:33 am

Will the Airbuses be based back in Spain? Any new IB short haul european routes?

Iberia340600
Topic Author

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:40 am

Usher:

I dont recall bashing anyone....I do recall not jumping to conclusions until something formal was said....as you may recall....IB has been talking about closing the HUB for the last 5 or 6 years!

767-332ER:

Some of the destinations will be served with direct flights...as is the case with GUA-PTY and the others remain to be seen. I am quite suprised that SJO has not been mentioned to be served by a direct flight as I believe that is the destination with the most traffic. Could we possibly see IB codesharing with AA between MIA and Central America?? We'll have to wait and see!
Visca Barça!!

JUANR

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:41 am

I think they will fly to two cities something like:

MAD-GUA-SAL-MAD
MAD-SJO-PTY-MAD

Anyway, good news for Central American pax, now they will have a shorter link to MAD.

Could we possibly see IB codesharing with AA between MIA and Central America?? We'll have to wait and see!

I don't think so, the main reason for closing the Hub I think it is because travellers want to avoid the stop at MIA beacuse of all the security measures
taken by US authorities; that agreement would not be profitable for either carrier.

Juan
SKBO

[Edited 2004-07-02 19:45:05]
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

ScottB

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:03 am

I don't recall anyone being "bashed" for predicting that IB would close its micro-hub at MIA; rather, they were "bashed" for outlandish predictions of hubs at PTY, SJO, CUN, HAV, SDQ, etc. The basic gist was that even with the new U.S. transit requirements, no other airport in the region was better-suited to be a hub from a traffic and geographical standpoint. And as it turns out, we were all correct -- IB will abandon its MIA micro-hub and they won't establish another in the region.

Actually, I can see IB happily transferring passengers to AA flights at MIA if they're willing to pay the fares and get a transit visa where required. Correct me if I'm wrong, but passengers from visa waiver countries are exempted still.

ushermittwoch

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:14 am

IB, it was just a general statement.
And it was pretty obvious that this would happen sooner or later.
Especially after the US tightening their borders even more.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

flymia

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:14 am

That really suxs. Oh well. Do you think IB will still have two Dailys to MIA now or just one from MAD.  Sad This is horrible news for MIA. Its easy it is the Goverments of US and the Airport Mananger fault. I really dont think she is doing any good in MIA. Hey we still got AF ERJ and A319's Knock on wood. Sad to see them go but who knows maybe not having the hub wont work out with them. Well its okay.

[Edited 2004-07-02 20:23:29]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

elcapi1980

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:18 am

in addition , the reservation center that is located in Miami will pass to a contrator , IB's reservation center is closing next month or so....
well... I don't think it is bad at all...the are adding non-stop to central america....
I love you barranquilla!!!!!

PDPsol

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:22 am

Scottb,

You are correct, citizens of nations under the Visa Waiver Program do not need visa to transit in the US. HOWEVER, they will be subject to the fingerprinting and photo requirements under the US VISIT program starting in September. US VISIT had previously only been a requirement for nationals outside of the Visa Waiver Program.

NONETHELESS, the transit passengers still must clear immigration/customs in Miami; there is no 'transnational' transit option as it exists in so many other hub airports.

IN ADDITION, while Spanish subjects (citizens) are included in the Visa Waiver Program, the majority of the IB passengers connecting in MIA to points in Central America are NOT Spanish subjects or citizens of other nations included in the Visa Waiver Program. The majority of these passengers are Costa Rican, Honduran, Guatemalan, etc., etc., etc... The VWP does not appy to them...

SOOOOOO... one can see why the decision was made to shut down MIA

miaskies

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:25 am

Although I will miss seeing the IB 319's....I am glad IB will stop b_tching already and just move like they have been planning already for what it seems an eternity!

Now let's see how they fill those A343's to Central America..heheheh

ciao chicos!
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

Summa767

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:25 am

I just went on Iberia's webpage to try to fathom out how they will serve the current mini-hub destinations, but had no joy. As an example, they are still selling tickets for SJO through MIA for December.
The statement says that destinations will be served by "associate" airlines. AA Should have a big role, but are there others? Perhaps a Mexican one, or Copa now that IB will fly direct to PTY?
Interesting!

gigneil

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:35 am

And the War on Tourism continues....

N

yyz717

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:44 am

HAV, SJU or CUN make the most sense as replacements.

And the War on Tourism continues....

Exactly. Not to mention US airline and airport jobs. AC recently commenced YYZ-BOG/CCS in part to deliberately capitalize on South Americans wanting to transit to Europe in a hassle free way not thru the US.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

scottysair

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:44 am

Can we bring them back with IB hub again in the future? What are you think about IB will close with MIA hub in end of October?

Sabena332

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:48 am

I don't think so, the main reason for closing the Hub I think it is because travelers want to avoid the stop at MIA because of all the security measures taken by US authorities

Not only the strict security measures at US airports scared IB, but also the fact that many people from Middle- and South American countries complained because they need a transit visa when they are transfer in MIA nowadays (this was not necessary in the past). To get such a visa, these people have to waste a lot of time in the American embassy of their home country, and they have to pay a lot of money for it (even when they have this visa, it is not for sure that they are allowed to transfer in MIA, the last decision takes the immigration officer, he can also send them back to their home country, then they paid the visa and the flight but will end up where they come from!). So why should IB require from it's passengers to face this hassle when it is going much easier for both, passenger and airline, without the transfer in MIA?

I am sure that IB's decision is only the beginning, many travelers are scared by the new immigration procedure of the US authorities (for example: fingerprinting, taking photos of everyone, requirement to own a computer readable passport, request of personal data like information about past flights, credit card number, etc.), I predict that the number of tourists and transfer passengers will decrease rapidly in the future.

Isn't RG not thinking about to route their GRU-LAX-NRT flight via another city outside the USA? Any news about that?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

miaskies

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:51 am

Ok people...read the heading of the POST...MIA IB HUB TO CLOSE..end of story. Their have been millions of threads...as to why..why not..the pro's and con's...of the IB MIA HUB.

Sad to see the 319's go..their a part of the MIA landscape...but glad to finally hear an end to IB's constant bickering...hopefully everything will work out for everyone.

scottysair

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:51 am

Sabena332,

I am not sure about RG will able service their LAX-NRT continues and will good with service on their routes. If some of those passengers must go to the international transit for the next flight out of their country.

ScottB

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:59 am

"the War on Tourism continues"

Uhhhhh, how exactly do transit passengers through MIA (who won't be STAYING at MIA) increase U.S. Tourism? If they were going to be tourists in Miami, they'd have to obtain a visa anyway.

The problem is that international transit passengers can slip through holes in the system and potentially compromise security at an airport like MIA. We know that Spain has had actions by fundamentalist Islamic terrorists. Let's say for the sake of argument that they manage to slip through security somehow at MAD, since it's clear that most airport security has its weaknesses, especially in the U.S. Terrorists "transiting MIA without a visa" get on an IB 744 or A346, somehow take control of the aircraft, and crash it into a high-rise hotel or condo in Miami. Or they transit and take control of one of the A319's headed to Central America. Or they manage to get a bomb on board the aircraft and blow it up on the ground in MIA. Eliminating TWOV doesn't eliminate security problems, but it does eliminate a glaring hole.

mark777300

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:02 am

it's sad to see IB's MIA hub go, it was nice to see the A319's flying out of MIA, it adds variety. I wonder what this will mean for IB's second flight to MAD? Will they continue using two flights daily or will they revert back to one flight a day?

TransIsland

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:16 am

Exactly. Not to mention US airline and airport jobs. AC recently commenced YYZ-BOG/CCS in part to deliberately capitalize on South Americans wanting to transit to Europe in a hassle free way not thru the US.

In fact, I know quite a few Bahamians travelling to Europe or Europeans travelling to The Bahamas who spend a night in Canada or London just to avoid transit through the U.S., particularly MIA.

Uhhhhh, how exactly do transit passengers through MIA (who won't be STAYING at MIA) increase U.S. Tourism?

Well, when visitors still felt welcome in MIA, they may in fact have spent a day or more in the country, spending tourist dollars, before continuing to their final destinations. I don't know if this was the case with many IB pax, but it certainly was the case with many people going to The Bahamas and other Caribbean destinations. While many still do this, a considerable number just can't be bothered any longer.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

miaskies

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:20 am

the word of the day is : DRAMATIC

People get over it already...911 UNFORTUNATELY SCREWED EVERYTHING UP.
So given that...security is going to be a pain in the ass in some places and in others not. People need to deal w/ it and get over it...life is not simple...sometimes you need to put up w/ "unpleasant" situtations. But that should not be a determining factor for all your flying needs...

dutchjet

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:37 am

Its a shame that this has happened, IB's mini-hub operation in MIA was one that worked very well for them and before the visa uproar was a very practical way to connect Central American cities with Madrid. It will be difficult for cities like Panama City and SanJose, CR to support daily services to Madrid (even if the destinations are combined) and A319s were much easier to fill up than the A340s that will replace them. Some central american cities will lose daily service and some may lose service altogether as a result of this decision. Its bad news for MIA, the central american destinations and Iberia.

When the US changed its visa rules for transit passengers, most of us thought it would be a temporary measure......the rules were changed since there was some type of intellegence information that indicated that terrorists would attempt to enter the US through transit situations. The concern was real, but I personally thought that special secure transit lounges would be built and developed in key airports such as MIA, LAX, IAH and JFK which handle many pax that are simply transiting the US. Most European airports have sterile transit areas that work without problems and similiar transit areas could be intergrated into the US airports, but this has not been the case. It seems that the strict transit rules are here to stay, and its unfortunate.

After the events of 9/11, its understandable that the US is doing whatever it can to protect itself......but I think that there are more practical ways to handle this particular issue. MIA is an extremely important hub for all of Latin America and IAH was trying to become the same (I guess CO's plans for an IAH-MAD flight will also continue to be put on hold) and travel options for the people of Latin America (as well as those in MIA) and being limited by the regulations. Very sad indeed.

PDPsol

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:42 am

o.k., simple question, but very, very, very far-fetched suggestion...

Can the A319LR make MAD-PTY, MAD-SJO, MAD-GUA or MAD-SAL?

I am fully aware IB has a rather firm policy to SHUN 2-engine aircraft on trans-Atlantic runs so I am sure this would never, ever happen, but... one can speculate...

ScottB

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:53 am

"Well, when visitors still felt welcome in MIA, they may in fact have spent a day or more in the country, spending tourist dollars, before continuing to their final destinations."

You're still missing the fact that a visa would have been required for anyone who would want to arrange a stopover in the U.S. This change in policy has zero effect on these people. It only affects people who would merely transit U.S. airports for a connection. And, arguably, IB's decision to end its micro-hub at MIA is good for AA.

Northwest717

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:58 am

Wow, this is too unfortunate, I liked seeing those baby-busses down at MIA!  Crying

-Tim
Dubai: Center of the 21st Century

cayman

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:03 am

Well, it's not really that simple---

For example---in Venezuela right now--the US embassy is so booked that if you need an appointment to apply for a visa, even a transit visa--you cant get one before late October. Even to re-new, thats how long it takes. I am not faulting anyone--just an observation of fact---

It's that process that is really scaring away pax from transiting the US. And for the record, I understand the secuiryt requirments and am not criticizng. But the market will reflect this.

I live in Cayman Islands and I can tell you I know many many people who will pay more or go out of their way to avoid transiting via the US.

Thrust

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:05 am

Should we expect AA to expand their MIA hub now that IB is pulling out?
Fly one thing; Fly it well

flymunich

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:12 am

Varig plans to fly GRU-ZRH-NRT or GRU-MUC-NRT.
Further plans Varig flying 3/7 with B777-200 GRU-MUC-SEL from Dec. 04.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:28 am

I am fully aware IB has a rather firm policy to SHUN 2-engine aircraft on trans-Atlantic runs so I am sure this would never, ever happen

...too bad Iberia itself doesn't seem to know that  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

miaskies

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:32 am

hahahaha very true! good one Concordeboy...they use to operate DC1030's to MIA, SJU and I think even some Central Amer cities. Also w/ 763 service.

boeingbus

Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:55 am

Whatever it takes to make their customers happy.

Personally, I wouldn't want to fly to Miami and go through the strict security - so why should we expect it from our southern neighbors to do the same? It's about time - if you ask me...

IB will always have flights to Miami and that's all we Americans should care about.

Connection through hubs sucks... this why I have been saying all along, that the 7E7 will be a god-send for airliners that no longer want to fly to a hub and prefer point to point to please their customers...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

ghost77

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:04 am

HI,

From what I've heard at Mexicana is that IB is also planning opening flights MAD-CUN or MAD-SJO. In case they open CUN new routes such as CUN-SJO, CUN-SAL, CUN-MGA will be opened and all will be flown with MX A320s. In case SJO stays as a 'hub' A319s will fly from there to SAL and MGA.

Ricardo APM

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

PDPsol

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:36 am

ConcordeBoy,

Yes, we know IB flew the 763 a few years ago, but... those aircraft were leased (wet-leased and operated by a third-party, I believe) and were not kept for very long...

Having a restrictive two-engine policy is completely antiquated in today's world, but an A319LR may be just a bit too radical for IB to consider. Plus, still do not know whether it has sufficient range to reach IB's central american destinations from MAD.

jetset

Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:13 am

Does this mean the once a month topic .. IBERIA A319'S IN MIA WHY ?
are going to stop !

rgds/jetset

anthsaun

Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:23 am

I second Ghost77

A while ago we were discussing IB moving from MIA to CUN. CUN is still trying to get IB attention not just for MAD flights, but to offer its services as a hub. Now, IB code shares with MX which is the dominant carrier at CUN so the hub might be operated by MX.

So it seams like MX is going to get the best part of the moving out and IB will save lots of money.
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

miamix707

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:08 pm

it's sad to see IB's MIA hub go, it was nice to see the A319's flying out of MIA, it adds variety. I wonder what this will mean for IB's second flight to MAD? Will they continue using two flights daily or will they revert back to one flight a day?

if that means one or two new airlines will be created in central america to fly to Miami, the variety will get even better! Baby buses? blah.

However, realistically it'd likely be be AA, LAN, and TACA filling the void  Sad

Corpsnerd09

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:13 pm

Wow! I can't believe it finally came true. I remember last August the 5 hour line suffered by passengers (including IB pax) transitting through MIA. I remember one passenger who commented to me while I was travelling on the High Echo Shuttle how his plane arrived from MAD on IB at 3:30 and it was now 8:20 and he was rushing to meet his flight to SJO! That's a long wait for customs and immigration! Every time that the alert level goes up to Orange MIA officials decide to get rid of TWOVs and the international transit lounges meaning that all passengers transitting must go through immigration, and sometimes even customs. This law makes MIA a hell of a lot worse especially for Airlines like AA and IB who have international to international connections. I will never forget what that passenger said to me "Nunca mas transitare por Miami en mi vida!" (I'll never transit through MIA again in my life). I'm sure he won't be the only one.

Francoflier

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:32 pm

For a time now, there has been a rumor down here in Honduras that IB was to close its hub in MIA, and was planning to open a new one for Central-American destinations here in San Pedro Sula (SAP)...

It would make sense, as SAP has a large runway and is equipped to handle large jets, and does not have restrictive immigration policy... I could very well see an A319 based here, or even some smaller jet/turboprop as most Central American countries are within 1.5 flight hour of distance.

It would take care of the Central American part, which are destinations that are not big enough to fill a quad Airbus or a 767 by themselves, unlike the rest (Mexico, South America,...) which can be deserved directly from Europe.

I didn't know that they already had a date for the MIA hub closure, so now I'll try and check what happened to that project...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

PHXinterrupted

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:38 pm

This is no great loss. IB's product was nothing special and their service was average at best. Other airlines will pick up the slack. Christ.
Keepin' it real.

miamix707

Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:43 pm

airports are like war zones, nowadays some airports are just full of patrol cars everywhere. I dont know if that makes people feel more secure or intimidated.

If they do that to international passengers, I could imagine how little they care about spotters and aviation enthusiasts "freedom" to practice their hobby. A friend of mine got a ticket when he got pulled over just because he told the cop he was a photographer he got a ticket for "unauthorized photography"

The other day at Sanford some instructor pilot told me I needed an ID to be around the fence, then came up to me in another area and was telling me that "the airport authority" had told them to TELL people they can't take pictures. Don't know how true that is, but it woudlnt surprise me. Luckily the encounter ended amicably after I somehow had the patience to explain my love for airplanes that we both share, and the nonsense of the supposed airport orders.

I identify more with the Republican conservative side but this year I dont think I'm voting to see idiots like ASHCROFT and their "INTELLIGENCE" people, who are going after the wrong inmigrant groups who aren't terrorists. Don't think you'll get my vote this year guys!

JMIslandman

Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:27 pm

One door closes another one opens for Air Madrid, I can forsee further Latin American expansion within the next 5 months. Not to stray from the topic but what do you think about Air Canada service from Bogota-Toronto?. A319 get ready for the DVT lawsuits as once service starts on that aircraft it will be restricted movements.

adriaticus

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:47 pm

A few weeks ago, I met with a senior ASUR officer (owners of CUN). At some point, he slipped the comment he had just finished an all-morning meeting with visiting IB senior officers, who "keep talking about whether CUN can serve a large and two-three small a/c's for them at the same time". I slipped the words "new mini hub" in hte conversation. He grinned, but said nothing else.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

alpere1

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:22 pm

In IBERIA 's website in Spain there's a news release about this topic, sorry I've not time to translate it into english, but in short it says IBERIA will close their MIA hub from oct. 1st, then open two new hubs in Central America, Panama and Guatemala, where it will fly directly from Madrid and serve other destinations in Central America. At the same time, it will also use partner airlines to fly from MIA to those destinations in Central America.
Here is their news release:

"Iberia crea dos nuevos centros de distribución de tráfico en América Central
Supone un importante cambio en la estrategia de América Central Iberia reduce su actividad en Miami, que deja de ser centro de distribución exclusivo para América Central.

Madrid, 2 de julio 2004.

A partir del próximo 1 de octubre de 2004 Iberia reestructurará toda la operación de sus vuelos en América Central con la implantación de nuevos vuelos directos desde España a Guatemala y Panamá que serán servidos con aviones Airbus 340, lo que supondrá una clara mejora en la calidad del servicio que se presta a la región. Esta medida se enmarca en la voluntad decidida de Iberia de volar en directo a sus mercados prioritarios.

Como consecuencia de esta decisión, el centro de distribución de tráfico en Miami dejará de operar como tal centro exclusivo y los vuelos que desde allí realiza Iberia en la actualidad hacia otros cinco destinos centroamericanos, además de Guatemala y Panamá, pasarán a ser operados por compañías asociadas. Igualmente se servirán estos destinos desde las capitales a las que a partir del 1 de octubre se volará en directo (Guatemala y Panamá), de tal manera que San José de Costa Rica, Cancún, San Pedro Sula (Honduras), San Salvador (El Salvador) y Managua (Nicaragua) tendrán, además de Miami, puntos adicionales de conexión desde sus respectivos países a España/Europa.

Iberia seguirá manteniendo un vuelo diario a Miami, destino de gran importancia para la compañía, así como el programa de vuelos con el conjunto de Estados Unidos. Iberia mantiene desde 1998 un amplio acuerdo con American Airlines, por el que se ofrece la posibilidad a sus clientes de llegar a veinte ciudades estadounidenses partiendo de los destinos ad onde llegan los vuelos directos de Iberia: Nueva York, Chicago y Miami.

El objetivo de Iberia es ofrecer el mayor número de conexiones directas y las frecuencias más convenientes hacia América Latina. Los nuevos vuelos directos a Centroamérica reafirman esta voluntad, al ofrecer a nuestros clientes mayores alternativas y flexibilidad para volar hacia y desde América Central"

Summa767

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:23 pm

Iberia has given further information on its website:
*Number of flights to MIA will be reduced to 1 a day
*Current mini-hub destinations will be served by "associate" carriers.
*Apart from MIA, these destinations will also be served by connection in Panama and Guatemala.

Still no further particulars in their timetable (which has not yet being re-programmed)

GoAround

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:49 pm

"Iberia crea dos nuevos centros de distribución de tráfico en América Central
Supone un importante cambio en la estrategia de América Central Iberia reduce su actividad en Miami, que deja de ser centro de distribución exclusivo para América Central."

Iberia creates two new traffic distribution centres in Central America; foresees an important change in Central American strategy; reduces Miami activities, which will cease being the Central American hub

Madrid, 2 de julio 2004.

Madrid, 2 July 2004

A partir del próximo 1 de octubre de 2004 Iberia reestructurará toda la operación de sus vuelos en América Central con la implantación de nuevos vuelos directos desde España a Guatemala y Panamá que serán servidos con aviones Airbus 340, lo que supondrá una clara mejora en la calidad del servicio que se presta a la región. Esta medida se enmarca en la voluntad decidida de Iberia de volar en directo a sus mercados prioritarios.

From 1 October 2004, Iberia will restructure its entire Central American flight network, with the implementation of new flights from Spain to Guatemala and Panama, which will be served with Airbus A340 aircraft, resulting in a clear improvement in the quality of service which is given to the region. This measure is a result of Iberia's decision to fly directly to its key markets.

Como consecuencia de esta decisión, el centro de distribución de tráfico en Miami dejará de operar como tal centro exclusivo y los vuelos que desde allí realiza Iberia en la actualidad hacia otros cinco destinos centroamericanos, además de Guatemala y Panamá, pasarán a ser operados por compañías asociadas. Igualmente se servirán estos destinos desde las capitales a las que a partir del 1 de octubre se volará en directo (Guatemala y Panamá), de tal manera que San José de Costa Rica, Cancún, San Pedro Sula (Honduras), San Salvador (El Salvador) y Managua (Nicaragua) tendrán, además de Miami, puntos adicionales de conexión desde sus respectivos países a España/Europa.

As a consequence of this decision, the Miami hub will stop operating as the only hub and the flights that Iberia operates from there to five Central American destiations, as well as those to Guatemala and Panama, will be operated by associated companies. Also, these destinations will be served from the capitals which Iberia will fly to directly from 1 October (Guatemala and Panama) - the cities served being San Jose, Cancun, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador and Managua - so they will have additional connections from those countries to Spain and Europe.

Iberia seguirá manteniendo un vuelo diario a Miami, destino de gran importancia para la compañía, así como el programa de vuelos con el conjunto de Estados Unidos. Iberia mantiene desde 1998 un amplio acuerdo con American Airlines, por el que se ofrece la posibilidad a sus clientes de llegar a veinte ciudades estadounidenses partiendo de los destinos ad onde llegan los vuelos directos de Iberia: Nueva York, Chicago y Miami.

Iberia will continue with one daily flight to Miami, as it is a destination of great importance to the company, as are all citis in the United States. Iberia has operated a wide codeshare programme since 1998 with American Airlines, through which Iberia's clients are able to fly to 20 North American cities connecting in Iberia's US destinations: New York, Chicago and Miami.

El objetivo de Iberia es ofrecer el mayor número de conexiones directas y las frecuencias más convenientes hacia América Latina. Los nuevos vuelos directos a Centroamérica reafirman esta voluntad, al ofrecer a nuestros clientes mayores alternativas y flexibilidad para volar hacia y desde América Central"

Iberia's objective is to offer the maximum number of direct connections possible, as well as the most convenient timings and frequences to Latin America. The new flights to Central America reinforce this initiative, offering our clients more alternatives and flexibility to fly to and from Central America.

Interesting news. Good move, I'd say. The news release clears things up!
GoAround

richardw

Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:31 pm

What will they do with their A319s? Will they base them back to Spain?

GoAround

Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:08 pm

Richardw, the impression the news release gives is that they will be based in Panama and Guatemala to operate onward flights from there to the five other cities. This, at least, is the impression given.
GoAround

LAXintl

Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:53 pm

I believe besides GUA and PTY, Iberia will stop serving the additional central Amerian cities on their own and will as stated instead rely on "Associated Companies".
Whether this means American Airlines or whether Iberia will forge relations with some one like TACA or COPA is unclear.

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California