Alitalia777
Topic Author

BKK Or SIN? And BOS-SYD Via LHR And BKK Or SIN

Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:36 am

Hello,
If I were (but I'm not) to be flying from BOS-SYD via LHR and Bkk/SIN on British or Qantas, which is the better airport to connect through? BKK or SIN? What are the pros and cons of each?
Also, if I were to purchase tickets from either BA or Qantas for this flight route, would they allow me to take several day stopovers in London and Bangkok/Singapore? I read the fare restrictions, but was not able to decifer their policy on this topic. I don't remember the fare code, but it was the lowest fare available. Thanks so much guys (and ladies). I will be looking forward to your responses!

Regards,
Alitalia777

dutchjet

RE: BKK Or SIN? And BOS-SYD Via LHR And BKK Or SIN

Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:04 am

BOS to SYD the long way, interesting.

Regarding stopovers in BKK or SIN, I would go for SIN since its a much nicer airport and BA and QF have nicer facilities there....as you probably know, SIN in a hub/gateway for QF flights to Australia. SIN is considered one of the nicest and user friendly airports in the world, BKK does not have a great reputation. From a touristical point of view, many consider Bangkok much more fun to visit than SIN.

Concerning your fare issue, I believe that even in the lowest fare categories a stopover in SIN or BKK would be permitted......most airlines offer stopover packages in those cities (via their tour departments) as many pax like to break the long journey between London and Australia with a 24 hour stopover. I am not certain on the London stopover since your routing is a bit unusual, the vast majority of pax would travel BOS-LAX-SYD.

If you were actually travelling, I would suggest that you check out the OneWorld round-the-world fares, as a BOS-LHR-SIN/BKK-SYD-LAX-BOS ticket may actually be cheaper than a roundtrip BOS-SYD ticket via Europe....not sure. The round-the-world deal would allow the stopovers you were asking about.

I hope that you will do this trip someday, Australia is a beautiful place.

parisien

Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:40 am

If just stopping over at the airport, I agree, SIN is more userfriendly and the shops are good too. Plus you can go drink in an open air bar, by a pool whilst spotting airplaine. There is also a city tour offered if stopping for I think 5 hours. Check out their website, there are suggestions of what to do depending on how much time you have to spend at the airport.
If stopping for a day or more, I like BKK just because, in my opinion, it is a more exotic city.

geoffm

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:03 pm

If you were to travel via these airports without stopping, then I'd suggest SIN as you can get off and stretch your legs for 45 mins or so. This you cannot do at BKK. However, if you're stopping for a few days, then BKK would be my choice. Fantastic place!

Geoff M.

scotron11

Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:24 pm

BKK certainly lives up to its name!!!

nethkt

Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:00 pm

Bangkok if you want to stop for few days and do something exciting.
Singapore if you just want to walk around in the airport to prevent DVT that may arise of your long journey in Economy class.
Brgds,net  Smile
Let's just blame it on yields.

Alitalia777
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:44 am

Do they not allow you to get off the plane in BKK??

Alitalia777

sq452

Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:52 am

Oh I would go through SIN over BKK anyday (at least until the new airport in BKK opens).

That is the long way (very long way!)
SIN > CVG > BOS

geoffm

Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:29 am

Alitalia777 - apparently not.

Geoff M.