soups

Missed Flight At DXB And EK NOT Doing Anything

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Hi,
i just missed my flight with EK connecting from LHR to ACC via dxb, all EK flights to ACC are fully booked for the next two weeks...only option they offered me is to sit at the airport and wait till next flight (24hours) while its not confirmed its on standbye another option is to upgrade to bizness $1670...
there were few more PAX on same routine and they made the flight i missed flight because i had to wait till all PAX got off the plane as my bag was placed at the rear end of the plane by an EK staff...
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

hamad

RE: Missed Flight At DXB And EK NOT Doing Anything

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:15 pm

they should re-route you through another airline...... was it an airline fault? or was it your own fault? talk to customer service, call them, and try, i am sure they should do something for you
PHX - i miss spotting

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:18 pm

SPOke to a supervisor she said cause the other 3 pax made it, it classify as a NO SHOW

usflyer msp

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:33 pm

One thing you might try since EK is being of no help, is to walk around to the ticket offices of other carriers and see if they will take your EK ticket, you might be pleasantly surprised. For your route you might try Ethiopian or Kenya Airways, or even EgyptAir. One time I had a similar situation in Rome w/Alitalia and I just walked over to the LH ticket office and they took my ticket without endorsement and rerouted me via Frankfurt.

Good Luck.

B747-437B

Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:38 pm

May I hazard a guess that you are not of pure Caucasian stock or may have colored skin? That may be a significant factor in terms of the service you receive from Emirates staff.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:46 pm

well they cant guarantee me a visa to go out of airport as i dont have a guaranteed confirmation. they offered a hotel stay at the airport at the cost of 120$ per 12 hours, spoke to many transfer desk all i get is sorry flights book come tomorrow morning and if there is no show u r lucky. they said they cant reroute me as all flights are full i checked on amadeus and there are free seats on few airlines

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:07 pm

what does WTRA/Y means it says that on extra infor section Y means economy but WTRA? is that waiting list?

JGPH1A

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:01 pm

Soups - you're a bit screwed ! .Looks like the quickest way to ACC is to go back to LHR on EK3 this afternoon, and catch tonights GH flight LHR-ACC - both showing available still.

1 EK 003 F0 J4 Y4 M4 B4 K4 Q4 DXB 1 LHR 3 1415 1840 . . 0/773
. .GH 731 C2 Y2 M4 KR S4 . . . . /LHR 3 ACC . . 2130 0400+1 1/D10 17:45

If you can get to CAI, there's an MS flight this afternoon at 1555 (probably too late for that now)

ET have a connecting service tonight to LOS

1 ET 633 C4 D4 S4 B4 H4 K4 L4 DXB 1 ADD 2050 . . 2350 . .0/767
. . . . . . . M4 Q4 T4
. . ET 941 CR DR S4 B4 H4 K4 L4 ADD . LOS 0310+1 0605+1 0/767
. . . . . . . .M4 TR
LH:GH 443 YR . . . . . . . . . . . . /LOS . ACC 1715+1 1715+1 0/330 24:25

you'd have to wait in LOS for a connection to ACC (don't know how fun that would be. Alternatively you could try tomorrow via BEY on ME to ABJ, and connect from ABJ to ACC (pretty dodgy too).

There's not a lot else - I looked for connections through JED, RUH, MCT, AUH, CAI, KRT(!), NBO, DAR, JNB.

I sincerely hope you summoned the EK manager and gave him what for - considering a connecting pax as a NOSHO is bullshit, esp. on a tight connection.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

sleak76

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:16 pm

Wow.. flights are full.
I can only see 4 seats left on tomorrow's DXB-ACC flight but that's on Business class. Economy is closed.
CAI-ACC and NBO-ACC, tomorrow, are both available but DXB-CAI and DXB-NBO are both sold out as well.

I guess, like JGPH1A said, your best bet is to look at Europe as your transit point, rather than the Middle East airports. Flights within the middle east are pretty much full at the moment with the start of summer and everyone flying around with their kids.

Transit at FCO maybe? or MXP? Keep in mind that there will be cost added to your ticket if this is to be done.
'Place your ad here'. Only $9.95 per post made.

lxlgu

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:17 pm

Hi!
If you are quick EK 781/08 JUL has 4 J class seats available DXB/ACC

Cheers!
Tony

Unique

Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:25 pm

i missed flight because i had to wait till all PAX got off the plane as my bag was placed at the rear end of the plane by an EK staff...

That you'd need to explain! Why on earth does a passenger need to stay in the cabin because his bag was loaded in the belly? Or was it loaded in the cabin? Did you check-in that late that the bag could not be loaded properly and was exceptionally accepted as cabin bags?

BelugaBoy

Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:52 pm

I can confirm that Kenya Airlines is a good airline

I flew on them 2 years ago, at the start I had also something 'oh boy, is this a good idea' but the person who sold me the ticket asured me that is was a very good airline.

I must say, they did there job very well, just like you were flying European or US or ... airlines ! The plane was, if I'm not mistaken an B767-300 !
Anyway, a company like KLM will not partner with an airline which does not qualify as being safe !

So the name does not always says it all !

There are decent airlines all over the world, just like there are ( unfortenatelly !! ) scrap airlines all over the world as well !

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:06 pm

well just been roaming around not a single airline office.. took ethiopian airlines fone number been calling them no answer typical lol.. route i might take is DXB-ADD-LOS-ACC OR DXB-ADD-ABJ-ACC (lovely)
emirates suggested i should wait and see when they get a free seat on a flight... they mentioned until 27july all seats in Y CLASS ARE SOLD OUT... LOVELY...
If i dont get on tomorrow flight ill booka ticket to beirut see some famillya nd return to dxb then acc when they got free flights! MEA got free seats on their 4x weekly bey-acc...
shame i cant get out of airport as 1 - no visa they can issue me a visa under the condition i got a confirmed flight but i dont ... lol...
im just sitting watching the planes.... EVA VARGO JUST PASSED as we speak... so did KLM 747 cargo...
lots of people in information desk sitting picking their noses lol
i am bored!

bag was IN CABIN!

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:08 pm

JGPH1A , EK 003 JUST BOARding as we speak, dim dum da lol EK said they are not willing to re-route me on any other route... LOVELY

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:20 pm

UNIQUE, as i had seat number 15 i was one of the last to be called on planes and other pax allready filled the overhead bins, crew took it and they say they will hand it upon arrival they will store it at the back

sleak76

Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:12 pm

lots of people in information desk sitting picking their noses lol

LOL. That's a good one.

Im glad to see that you're still in good humor. Hang in there.. Hopefully EK will be able to figure something out for you. But i suggest you do it the Arabic way now.. choose one particular (EK) staff and, once you do, make sure you are in constant eye contact with him/her. This way, their eyes will inadvertantly fall upon you from time to time, triggering their minds' thoughts back at you and your problem/plea to get a seat. Out of sight is out of mind. You dont need that. Stay within their sights and sonn enough they'll work on your case.

Keep you posts coming though. It's quite ineteresting.

Reminds me when i got into your same situation but at BEY back in Aug 2003. All flights out were booked solid and I was stuck there for 3 days not able to find a single seat to get me back to KWI (direct or connections). What made it even more difficult was that as of summer 2003, BEY's computers at checking were not connected to the airlines' booking system. This meant that no airline there could access their waiting list data for their flights. As a result, ALL airlines at BEY had to do a manual waiting list. Your name gets written on this piece of paper on a first-come basis. Got fed up so thought of getting back to KWI from there via LHR. I was that desperate to get any seat out!! But alas, BA told me that their flight was overbooked as well. Finally, my friend went online and found one seat left on QR to DOH and told me to run to QR's office and grab it. PHEW. Grabbed it and kept grabbing it til we landed back in the Gulf.

Just keep patient and within their sight. You'll get something, Soups.

(PS. Good ol' Irish pub at DXB, opposite the British Airways Terraces Lounge)

Big thumbs up
Cheers.  Smile

sleak76

Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:18 pm

True.. KLM own 26% of KQ.

Tasha,

As far as their 772, their website says that it'll service the following:

Wed NBO-AMS
Thus AMS-NBO

Sundays NBO-LUSAKA-LILONGWE-NBO
Then Sun night to LHR and back on Monday

Then Mon night back to LHR, arriving back to NBO on Tues then back to AMS on Wed

Smile

EZYcrew

Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:26 pm

WTRA/Y mean Waitlist for Transfer passenger

It's a higher priority than WLOC/Y (local waitlist, originating in DXB)

Good luck

lxlgu

Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:32 pm

Hi!
The flight Dubai/Accra has now got 1 econony 6 business 2 first class seats
open now
Cheers!
Tony

EZYcrew

Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:13 pm

Hopefully you'll be bumped up to J !!!! Most airlines do this to their WL Y-cl pax when there's no seats available in Y. Just make sure you're dressed nice.

soups

Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:36 pm

it has got 1 economy in M class i got a Q class the travel agent wants me to pay 800pounds to get on the flight went to EK office to complain they keep saying only 1st class is available. they said there is just 1 economy seat and if i want to upgrade my economy ticket to an economy ticket i have to pay XXX in dirhams i said whats that in dollars.. she stood up and said anyway its time for me to clock off and walked away... went to another EK agent and she callled some1 and they said to upgarde it they want 590quid thats more what i originally paid for my WHOLE ticket! they still not offering ny acoomodation regarding the issue she said if u dont mangae to get on tomorrow flight then next one is 48 hours after that.. and she also mentioned there are some people in the airport waiting for a seat for 8 days!!

airlinefreak1

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:28 pm

B747-437B
May I hazard a guess that you are not of pure Caucasian stock or may have colored skin? That may be a significant factor in terms of the service you receive from Emirates staff

i reckon your statement is a very arrogant- you cant just assume that based on your experiance you had (ive read one of your trip reports stating that based on your negative experiance with DXB airport staff and EK staff) you are justifying it by saying that they are racist , and impllying that a passenger will recieve good service depedning on your skin colour.

thats very wrong my friend - althought staff at dxb airport are not the friendliest, why not compare them to staff in CDG or even LHR/BHX/MAN ??
ive experianced more discrmination there than any other airport - plus , staff at dxb airport do work apprently 10-12 hours non stop shift- so they at least deserve some respect , and not faulty accusations (that have no proof!)

did you compare DXB airport with all airports in India ? no room for comparison my friend .

Soups ,

sorry to hear about your negative experiance - thats unlucky -if i were you , i would see the station manager, and explain in a professional way thatit wasnt your fault you were delayed ! EK should atleast upgrade you/ offer you a hotel ....
good luck mate

regards

MileHighClub

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Airlinefreak1 - I can vouch for Sean's comments. I had to suffer through EK's service for over 4 years as they were my company's preferred airline (I used to work for HH Shk. Ahmed's brother!!) - The ground service team is horrendous. I have seen many examples where they bend over backwards for Mr. & Mrs. Smith from Birmingham travelling on a package holiday to Bangkok, but they won't even lift a finger for 60 year old Mr & Mrs. Singh from Bangalore travelling J class to Frankfurt! Don't be so naive, Dubai is a very racist place, if you've ever lived there - you would know.

Soaps - If you are a skywards member, I would suggest calling their hotline 3167000 - they are generally a little more helpful than others - ask to speak immediately to their shift supervisor, or ask if Bobby is there and explain the situation.

I'm not sure where you are in the airport, but near the DANATA Marhaba Lounge, there is (or was) a small office for EK - from what i can remember, the Duty Manager for EK works out of this office. Perhaps speaking to him may be of some help....Good Luck!

EurostarVA

Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:53 pm

Soups,

Your story sounds so bizarre that I suspect you intentionally slowed your pace just 'to see what happens' and to enjoy being in a great airport like Dubai !! You seem like you have a lot of time on your hand in considering to simply go to Beirut, see some family, and return for a connecting flight to Accra.

If there is a will, there is a way

Tasha

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:04 am

Seeing what is happening to Soaps - I will think twice about EVER traveling with EK.

Airlinefreak1:

"B747-437B
May I hazard a guess that you are not of pure Caucasian stock or may have colored skin? That may be a significant factor in terms of the service you receive from Emirates staff

i reckon your statement is a very arrogant- you cant just assume that based on your experience you had (ive read one of your trip reports stating that based on your negative experience with DXB airport staff and EK staff) you are justifying it by saying that they are racist , and implying that a passenger will receive good service dependning on your skin colour"

Ahhh - yes, I have witnessed something like this myself at LGW of all places. The British staff at NWA was quite rude to an African lady from Nigeria. She too had been waiting at the airport for a while with her two small children because her connector flight had arrived late. They even told her the flight was full - which it was NOT! I was traveling in coach, and there were plenty of available seats. I'm almost certain that a DC10-40 can fly to DTW with a full cabin from London. Maybe I am being a busybody here, but it was still wrong.

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

airlinefreak1

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:32 am

Tasha ,

I know that ppl all in airports all over the world get treated in an unfair way - but the point im trying to make is that Dubai airport is much better than other (im not ruling out the odd few who dont get treated fairly)

Comapre the standards and service of Dubai airport to nearby countries, like Syria, Egypt, and even India ... nothing comparable!

Milehighclub ,

ive lived there for 16 years of my life, so i would know more - Dubai is the most cosmopolitan city in the region - more than 80% of the workforce are foreign ( the bulf are from india and pakistan) , if Dubai was a racist and unfair place, then how can you explain the large numbers of asian workers there ? if it was bad , they wouldnt still be there, would they? ( and more are coming everyday)

racism also exists in airports in the UK - ive seen it in my own eyes loads of times , Mr. and Mrs Singh being screamed at for not understanding english , is an example !
the treatment any one recieves at dubai airport is definately better ...

MEA-707

Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:46 am

Soups; I am sure I get being yelled at by others to make this "generalization" but I travel a lot and I think I know how to deal differently in different cultures. Issues of pride and humiliation are even more delicate in Asian and middle eastern cultures then you might be used to in the west (I have no idea what your cultural background is but maybe even if your roots are in the mid east, your style might have become too direct UK style for the taste of the EK staff)... If you start yelling and blaming at Dubai airport, you can be right 100 times but they won't do or try anything for you. Even if you're angry, try to remain calm, approach one staff member friendly, explain the situation, admit a (minor) mistake you might have made in the process, show or pretend sympathy for the person and situation of the EK staffmember... For one reasion or another, they don't even want to believe it's not your fault, imagine their point, when they can be fed up after so many shopping and drinking passengers who don't take care to show up for their connecting flights and then try to yell themselves on another aircraft with compensation and everything, you should try to appear moral superior and only that will open them up to help you.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

planemannyc

Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:33 am

Airlinefreak1,

While not everyone at Dubai may be racist, the structure of pay in the UAE (as in most Gulf States) may be indicative of how racism exists in that part of the world. With similar (if not same) qualifications, Native Gulf Arabs are paid the highest, then come Caucasians (and sometimes those from the US and UK get higher pay than other Caucasians) and then the rest of the people around the world. It is pretty much a stated policy.

I have been through Dubai and as a South Asian, I would probably never want to go through Dubai again. The ground staff is rude, the Emirates staff is unenthusiastic and it seems despite all the money in the world, EK and Dubai has yet to learn what customer service is all about.

I would rather fly through HKG, KUL, SIN any day, and at least I know what to expect in South Asians airports -- they don't bill themselves as the world's best. DXB is best only if you are in First Class and preferably the color of your skin is light. Sean (B747-437B) is right, your race will most likely make a difference there.

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

fly_emirates

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:01 am

soups, i am sorry you are stuck.... i totally understand how rude those ground staff can be, even to us cabin crew... not that there are no rude cabin crew..

I am going to email you some information that might help

lapper

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:08 am

If you can, I would ask to speak to the Station Manager if you have not already done so. Explain your case calmly, without raised voices or anything and try and throw in a joke here or there to keep the mood relaxed. Once you have explained, and it appears that it IS EK's fault, point out to the Station Manager that it is up to EK to get you to your destination "with reasonable dispatch", which should be outlined in section 9 of the conditions of contract on your ticket. Waiting until 27 July for a flight is, IMHO, not reasonable dispatch.
Good Luck!

VEEREF

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:19 am

Guess you could've used an A380 right about then! Big grin
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:28 am

"you are justifying it by saying that they are racist , and impllying that a passenger will recieve good service depedning on your skin colour. "

That's a problem with that entire part of the world, not necessarily one airline or one group of people...
E pur si muove -Galileo

EK345

Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:10 am

Soups,

Hang in there. Alot of people have said to speak to people higher up and that is exactly the approach you should take. I think it will get you on a flight in no time. I am sorry to hear about experiences that others have had in terms of racism. Racism exists everywhere in the world and trust me UAE is not the worst that I have seen.

EK345
"and miles to go before I sleep..."

B747-437B

Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:16 am

ive read one of your trip reports stating that based on your negative experiance with DXB airport staff and EK staff

Wow. Considering that I have never written a trip report about either flying on Emirates or visiting Dubai, that is remarkable indeed.

ive lived there for 16 years of my life, so i would know more

My guess is that you are probably one of the Caucasians in Dubai who live in their little Jumeirah beachfront villa and don't know a damn thing about what reality is like on the other side of the tracks.

racism also exists in airports in the UK - ive seen it in my own eyes loads of times

The difference being that while racism at UK airports WILL be frowned upon when brought to the attention of the relevant supervisory authority, racism in Dubai is actively encouraged by the same people in authority there.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

soups

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:07 am

well i spoke to a station manager i explained the situation she said sorry you missed your connection wait for the other one, i said i am but i am on waiting list at least give me a conformation she said im sorry i cant do that!

VonRichtofen

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:25 am

Did you explain to them that it was their fault you missed your connection?

soups

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:30 am

i did explain the station manager said nothing we can do but put u on waiting list and the waiting list opens 3 hours be4 departure i replied u must be kidding she replied i will be nice enought to put u on now... i replied it will be nice enought to guaratee me a seat! she said ur on waiting list went to another agent see what she can do she said im not on aiting list so she put me on waiting list and handed me a boarding pass

VonRichtofen

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:37 am

Damn...

When I had to head home from KUL a few days before my original departure date SQ happily rebooked me on an earlier flight no problems at all. Mind you there was lots of available seats to be had though, it just seems in your case the EK staff don't really care. I hope you don't end up like that guy that lived in CDG LOL!

Kris

soups

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:40 am

what happened to the guy that lived in cdg

VonRichtofen

Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:42 am

He was stuck in the airport for 14 years or something like that. Couldn't get a visa to leave the airport.

planesarecool

Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:50 am

I'm guessing that the amount of money you must have spent on internet at the airport, you could have bought a brand new ticket by now!  Big grin

I recommend a trip to Beirut, see your family, then continue on with your travels. Or just head home to Gatwick tomorrow on the A340-500 (EK015/16). Either way, have fun Big grin

-Stephen

supersonic78

Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:40 am

dear soup.. i'm getting kind of angry about such a lousy customer service !! i can't understand how they can wait for 3 pax from the same flight and leave you behind, and not even show the effort to help... do you remember how much time was left from the moment you reached the gate and the departure of your connecting flight ???

i'm sorry but i don't know EK staff here in ZRH so actually i can't do anything for you.. the only thing i checked was now on EK website and i was able to book a tkt on the flight DXB-ACC of tomorrow morning.. costs are GBP 577.- a bit expensive ??!? and for sure you tried this already..
greets

supersonic78

Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:11 am

soups.. again me.. i have to ask you a question.. was your plane arriving late in dubai.. as the plane for ACC is scheduled to leave DXB at 7.30 am but due to EK's flight status check it left 8.43 am ???? when was your flight ex LHR scheduled to arrive in DXB ?????

airlinefreak1

Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:54 am

B747-437B ,

honestly , sounds like a jealous person who doesn't know what your talking about-
listen matey , don't jump into conclusions - I know Dubai more than you and your family - I was born there , and IM proud of it -
and no , I didn't live in little Jumeirah beachfront villa and I know everything that goes in that city -
if any Indian was treated unfairly , they are more than welcome to leave the country - but guess what ? More and more are coming in everyday to search for jobs in that city ! It doesn't sound like discrimination to me .

Is racism encouraged in DXB airport ?
presumably you didn't get treated fairly - did u complain to the "relevant authorities?" or did they applaud their staff for what they did to you ??

Some people need to come in terms with the fact that racism exists everywhere in this world (including glorious India) , but in some parts of the world , its sadly acceptable ...

Soups , mate , I doubt you've been mistreated because of your 'skin colour' , if you look around you in dxb airport , you can see ppl from loads of different backgrounds .

regards

MileHighClub

Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:30 am

Airlinefreak >> So you didn't live in Jumeirah? Must've been Golden Sands then...

Sure...i agree that racism exists everywhere in the world...however, in other parts of the world, it wasn't state sponsored. Imagine a spreadsheet document listing different jobs and columns with different wage brackets based on the nationality of the candidate....e.g. America/UK/Candada/Australia/NZ, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, GCC/Local, Indian Subcontinent, South East Asia etc etc...

Your profile says you're between 16-20....trust me, going to school at EIS, and living the expat lifestyle, you're hardly exposed to the realities of life for the foreigners who work there.

MaverickM11

Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:32 am

"Some people need to come in terms with the fact that racism exists everywhere in this world (including glorious India) , but in some parts of the world , its sadly acceptable ..."

In places like the Middle East, North Africa, and South Asia, it's hard wired into the culture: the infamous caste system in India, the Filipino/Asian worker populations of the Middle East, the lighter and darker skinned neighbors in Northern Africa...
E pur si muove -Galileo

emirates747

Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:07 am

Airlinefreak1,

I too spent about as much time in Dubai as you did, and a majority of my flights to the middle east and the subcontinent have been on Emirates.

It is just a fact of life, in the UAE, that if your skin is a darker shade of brown, many jobs are not open to you. If your skin is of a certain colour, you are meted a different treatment in day-to-day life (for example, a person of British or US origin stands in a different line (than people of african or subcontinental origins) to obtain a driving licence.The tone of voice of the person behind the counter is dramatically different in the two lines. No prizes for guessing which one).

I have witnessed, and been a part of, different, preferrential treatment given by Emirates Airlines staff to people of different skin colours.

In all fairness, I have also witnessed, and also been part of, fair, courteous treatment by Emirates Airlines staff to people of all skin colours.

But the former outweigh the latter by a large margin.

You do raise a valid question: If the treatment is so racist and unfair, why do Indians still arrive in Dubai, seeking jobs, in a steady stream?

In my opinion, for most people, a higher salary than they could ever earn in India, is a benefit that calls for some sacrifice. The sacrifice is to suffer some of the indignities of racial treatment.

I think to truly understand the racism that is inherent in the UAE, you must live the life in a true middle class home (in a one bedroom flat somewhere in deira) and be of a skin colour that is discriminated against.

Oh, and just ask all those Indians who tried to "approach" the relevant authorities in Dubai Airport to raise any concern. Unless you are a citizen of the UAE, the UK, or the USA, the answer is most likely, "move on, pal, and don't bother us".

Regards,

Emirates747

fly_emirates

Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:43 pm

i totally agree with Emirates747..

i am originally from Sharjah, born and grown up there, and it doesnt matter what qualification you have, if you are not appreciated by the people in charge in dubai, then you are busted

captain777

Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:56 pm

It a shame to hear that Emirates747  Sad
the sky is the limit.............actually FL410 is the limit

EK345

Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:59 pm

I agree. It's sad but true that in certain Middle Eastern countries the pay scale is based on what passport you carry, and not your qualifications. India's caste system really is also a prime example of a discriminatory society that treats people based on factors beyond their own control ie. into what caste they were born. We see racism everywhere in the world, and Dubai is not exception. I had lived in Saudi Arabia for many years and noticed things like all the garabge collectors, street sweepers, gardeners, etc. were of Indian Subcontinental origin, while your 'white' Europeans and Americans had the high paying jobs. I have spoken to my Saudi friends in the past about this and to my surprise they are more jealous that the Westerners earn a higher salary than them (Saudis), while more or less turning a blind eye to the people not as fortunate working outdoors in 45 degrees Celcius heat making sure the streets are clean.

I keep telling myself the day an Arab comes and empties the garbage can outside my house then that will be the day...

Until then we can all do our part and be open to other cultures/religions/points of view. It can only make us better people in the end.

Peace.

EK345
"and miles to go before I sleep..."