kcrwflyer

How Are The Regional Airports Doing?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:22 am

We talk so much about larger aircraft, I was just wondering how the more local and regional airports are doing out there? Mainly the airports that serve an area of at least 100,000. Are they growing? Loosing flights? planning anything new? Just tell us whats going on with the regional airports.

GSPSPOT

RE: How Are The Regional Airports Doing?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:36 am

My home airport, GSP, is doing great. Passenger numbers are back above last year's, and airlines have added service. Except for DL and NW, all our flights are on RJ's or propjets. Independence Air starts serving here on the 17th of this month. We currently have nonstop service to EWR & LGA, DCA, IAD, ORD, PHL, PIT, IAH, MCO, DFW, CLE, CLT, ATL, CVG and others.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

kcrwflyer

Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:24 am

nice. Here in CRW, numbers are 17% higher that lats year, and higher than before 911. They are adding 2 more gates onto the termanal by expanding concourse C. They are widening taxiways along the main runway and legenthening the runway to 7,000ft. We have service to IAD, DCA, PIT, CLT, PHL, CVG, CLE, ORD,and ATL. And were working on (Jfk, EWR, LGA) whichever opens up first. and possibly MIA.

GD727

Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:37 pm

I'm glad to hear regional airports in the south seem to be doing good, they're not doing so good here in New England. For instance, there is a nice airport in Worcester, MA (ORH), it has a nice terminal with around 4-6 gates and the airport is completley empty. The reasons why this happened is because of the close proximity of PVD and BOS. If people in Worcester want low fares, they just drive to PVD and take WN or to BOS and take B6 or Song. But the biggest reason ORH no longer has service is due to poor road access. To get to the airport, you must drive through downtown Worcester, and then through a maze of small residentail streets. Massport wants to build an access road from I-290, but NIMBY presence is as strong as always. Before 9/11, ORH had US Dash-8 service to PHL, AE ERJ service to ORD and SF3 service to JFK, DL CRJ service to ATL, and even Pan Am III 727 service to SFB and ABE. Now they have nothing! Man do I ever hate NIMBY's!  Pissed

Mmmm forbidden donut.

tungd

Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:32 pm

Kcrwflyer,

My hometown airport, KABI, is a regional airport serving 116k in the city and 300k total catchment area (80-mile radius). 2004 is one of the best years ever for local air travel, but that's not saying much since there are only 9 departures per day with a total of 350 seats! (American Eagle has 6 flights to DFW, 3 Saab's and 3 RJ's to DFW, and Continental Express/Skywest has 3 flights to IAH, 2 EMB-120's and 1 RJ)

All the flights have high load factors, but since KDFW is only 137nm away, most people drive instead. KABI, however, has recently doubled the size of the terminal and is now a "real" airport, complete with jet bridges...who woulda thunk??? The city's philosophy is "if we build it, they will come." It seems to be working so far, though it's unlikely that anything larger than RJs will ever serve this somewhat-remote facility.

BostonGuy

Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:59 pm

Worcester's lack of service isn't just related to NIMBY's. From a Massport study on Worcester's lack of service:

"The Worcester Airport has long suffered from poor service reliability due to weather conditions. The airport's high altitude results in low ceiling conditions and fog that close the airport more often than other regional airports at lower altitudes. Massport has studied the feasibility of upgrading the Worcester Airport to a Category II/III Instrument Landing System (ILS) to increase the airport's operating reliability in poor weather conditions. Upgrades to the ILS at Worcester have been delayed due to lack of funds in the wake of September 11, 2001. Ground access has also been a problem that has limited Worcester's ability to realize its full potential. MassHighway is studying improvements to the greater Worcester area roadway network that would also benefit the accessibility of Worcester Airport by providing a direct, less complex connection between the airport and the interstate highway system. "

Plus, Boston's regional airports (Providence and Manchester) are doing quite well.

juanchie

Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:33 pm

Kcrwflyer-

Where are they putting those gates? Last I remember, there wasnt much room around the terminal. And what happened to the flight to IAH? Did they already drop it? I have some family that flew up on wednesday and when their united plane came in late at 1:30 am, it only had three bags on it. Wouldnt mind seeing good ole crw again.
God, forgive me for who I am, and help me be the man I want to be.

PHLBOS

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:09 pm

Boston's regional airports (Providence and Manchester) are doing quite well.

No doubt, the primary reason for that is due to the 'Southwest Effect'.

It's a shame about ORH. My brother lives in Sturbridge (12 miles west of Worcester); for a day trip, a round-trip flight from PHL to ORH would be nice and convenient. I never took advantage of that because USExpress was charging anywhere from $250 to $400 for the service... advance purchase, coach-only seating (DH-8), and even with a Saturday night stay.

Had GoFares existed then and for that route, I would've utilized it.

However, with WN's r/t PHL-PVD fare of $77 (includes taxes and fees and NO Saturday night stay required); the issue's a no-brainer. Although I am still waiting for WN to offer PHL-BDL service. BDL is slightly closer to Sturbridge than PVD.

Anyone know how BED (Hanscon) is doing? I know that they're losing USExpress (Shuttle America) and that Boston & Maine Airways (Pan Am Clipper Connection) is picking up the BED-TTN route from USExpress.

Has that route taken some hits from FL offering PHL-BOS service this past year?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

kcrwflyer

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:43 pm

"Where are they putting those gates? Last I remember, there wasnt much room around the terminal. And what happened to the flight to IAH? Did they already drop it? I have some family that flew up on wednesday and when their united plane came in late at 1:30 am, it only had three bags on it. Wouldnt mind seeing good ole crw again."

Between the weather, and the drop from ACA, Uex is messed way up. They still fly to Iah. 1 erj in and 1 erj out. They both run 90-100% loads most of the time.

Im not sure where their adding gates. I know they built an 2nd jetway for gate B between gate B and A. The other ones should be an expansion of concourse C, thus making aircraft park straight in, and yeager aill go to a pushback method.

juanchie

Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Where are gates A and B? I have a good mental picture of the terminal and if I remember correctly, Yeager has a horrible numbering system with letters and number. Like gates A, B , 3 etc. It was always quite confusing.
God, forgive me for who I am, and help me be the man I want to be.

kcrwflyer

Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:11 pm

ok. A and B are the original two Jetways. Whats your e-mail so i can send you a picture?

Boeing757/767

Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:26 pm

KCRWflyer:

You forgot one -- NW serves DTW from there with Mesaba Saabs.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

kcrwflyer

Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:39 pm

youre so right. I knew i was leaving one out.

ssides

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:09 am

Tungd --

I was going to post something about ABI, but you beat me to it! Are you living in Abilene now? I grew up there, but live in Austin now (about to move to Dallas). Just curious, I think you're the first Abilene person I've seen on A.net.

As for the airport, I agree -- it is doing well, much better than 5-6 years ago!
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

toltommy

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:12 am

CAK hit a million people for the first time last year, and just keeps growing!

ERJ170

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:15 am

My parents hometown airport (EWN - New Bern, NC) only has service by USX to Clt). They are trying to get AmConn or AE to flight out (again, as they used to). There is about a 200,000 popn for the area. They could REALLY use some more service.
Aiming High and going far..

kcrwflyer

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:43 am

wow, they really could with that many people and just one flight.

ERJ170

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:45 am

Well, actually.. EWN has 8 daily flights to CLT on USX...

But no service to the staples.. DC, NY, ATL, FL.. they could at least use 2 dailies to each...
Aiming High and going far..

Alessandro

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:56 am

I think my regional airport is doing OK, Visby airport (59K inhabs on the Islands, many tourists in the summer), Sweden. They operate mainly SAAB 340ies nowadays.
As for regional planes I think Embraer is the big one in the sector and I predict they´ll dominate this size of airplane for a long time, China rolled out their
first local made ERJ145 recently and many of the competitors are gone,
SAAB, Fokker, Dornier to name a few.

From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

deltairlines

Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:58 am

As people have said, MHT is going up. Independence Air starts here very soon with 9 dailies to IAD (as well as a new UA Express ER4), PHL gets 4 WN 737s and a new US 733. DCA is picking up a 733 on US, and WN also recently announced a 3rd daily 737 to TPA. Earlier this year (or late last year), NW started up MSP service as well. The only loss recently were Pan Am (who were so inconsistent that I don't know if you could consider them a loss).

PWM is pretty much growing right now. They will have seasonal 733 service to DCA on US, and they are getting 2 733s back to PHL. They also recently picked up a CRJ to CLT. Delta recently added a CRJ to CVG to compliment their 2 daily MD-88s. American Eagle recently started weekend service to BOS. Northwest added an Avro 85 to compliment their 2 daily DC-9s and CRJ to DTW. Since 9/11 (when Air Canada and United mainline pulled out), the only losses have been US downgrading their flights (it was 733s to PIT and PHL only), and minor service tweakings by Delta Connection and American Eagle. Continental did do a seasonal 735 to PWM last season (a few days a week), but I can't find that right now either. Independence Air has also started with 6 daily CRJs to IAD.

Jeff

quickmover

Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:09 am

How about SGF (springfield/branson)? TWA used to fly 10x with md80s and 717s. I'm surprised WN or FL hasn't jumped in here yet.

kcrwflyer

Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:37 am

MHT isnt regional, look at the area it serves and its traffic. Airports with WN disqualify.

BostonGuy

Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:20 am

Actually, MHT and PVD are both considered regional airports. Most analysts (even the Federal Reserve Bank) consider that a regional airport is one within 100 miles of a major city and it's home airport. One such source documenting that Hartford, Providence, Worcester, Manchester and Portland as regional airports is: http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/nerr/rr1997/winter/camp97_1.htm

An excerpt from the Federal Reserve Bank's report states:

Besides market pricing, more productive use of Logan hinges on its relationship with the smaller airports in the region. Five sizeable commercial airports -- Hartford, Manchester, Portland, Providence, and Worcester -- lie within one hundred miles of Boston; Hanscom Field, a major general aviation airport, also is northwest of the city. With these airports operating at an aggregate of just fifty percent of capacity, most could absorb more of the traffic now flowing through Logan.

And who determined that SW disqualifies an airport from being regional? Sources, please!

kcrwflyer

Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:35 am

please read my first post describing what this thread is about. Im just saying that WN fly's out west directly. Im talking about the regional airports that dont serve big cities, stated by the population limits i put in my first post. Also the airports with only regional service.

PHLBOS

Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:46 am

Also the airports with only regional service.

By the above-definition, cross CAK off the list. FL flies 717s out of CAK.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

BostonGuy

Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:26 am

"Mainly the airports that serve an area of at least 100,000. Are they growing? Loosing flights? planning anything new? Just tell us whats going on with the regional airports."

"Im talking about the regional airports that dont serve big cities, stated by the population limits i put in my first post. Also the airports with only regional service."

OK, I re-read your post. Notice the "mainly" at the beginning of the first sentence? Mainly doesn't mean you are totally excluding airports serving a population of over 100,000. What you should have written was "Excluding airports that serve an area of over 100,000.".

I thought I followed quite well what you wrote. I didn't realize, however, that you didn't understand it yourself  Smile

kcrwflyer

Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:42 am

ok, ok, my bad, no hard feelings or offence.  Smile

You can add what i would consider a larger airport, but try to keep it mainly smaller airports, like at least 4 gates, but no more than 15.

We need to get MAINRUNWAY in here to talk about the other WV airports.

kcrwflyer

Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:32 am

CRW was also in negotiations with Hooters Air, and Continental for mainline to the New York area. I didnt mention the mainline part in my earlier post.

flyboy80

Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:46 am

EUG (Eugene, Oregon) is doing pretty well. We still haven't heard anything regarding the return of mainline United after their pullout in DEC. 02...none the less Skywest, Mesa are Operating 16 Flts a day under the "United Express" banner to SFO, PDX, and DEN. QX still offers around 12 Flts to SEA, PDX, LAX, and MFR. America West Express (Mesa) is operating two PHX and one LAS flight. IN addition, Delta Connection (Skywest) is operating two daily services to SLC. And we just broke ground on a new runway. I've also heard terminal expasion plans...which we need. UAX has five RJs on the ground alone at night here at EUG and they only have two jetways, but use the third. IN addition the last jetway is used by America West Express. And then the three "regional gate" stands are occupied by Three QX RONs. Im really excited for EUG, all I can think of at this point is GROWTH GROWTH GROWTH!

aa757first

Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:47 am

Here at Lehigh Valley (ABE) we are just fine. We are all RJ, except for two daily NW DC-9s to DTW and a US A319 daily to CLT. And Southeast, we have non-stops to Columbus, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, St. Petersburg and a direct to Las Vegas on DC-9s and MD-80s. US Airways added the A319 recently and Southeast came about two years ago. But of course, high fares are still raging, except for the Southeast flights. $69 O/W to Florida and Vegas!

AAndrew

kcrwflyer

Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:37 am

nice. Yeager is growing but doesnt have the room. Their about to go to pushback to accomodate. If anyone would like to see a photo of yeager and all of its planned expansions please e-mail me at ajgilmer@charter.net

atrude777

Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:58 am

MWA- Marion , Illinois. Is u know what, its amazing it even has commercial service, with 4 dailies to STL on Coporate Airlines/American Connection. It has NO GATES whatsoever, regional enuff for you kcrw? lol. it has 2 doors named gate 1 and gate 2 hahaha. I think we could better suporrt a regional to ORD, who the hell flies JUST MWA-STL? everyone on board flies for connection purposes, and yet again STL hardly offers connecting opporunties, i think it could be better served to ORD. it serves around 50,000 I believe, correct me if im wrong.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

boeingpride800

Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:07 pm

There is an airport near by called the Onieda County Airport (UCA). There used to be 6 airlines serving it in the 70's and 80's. In the late 1990's, US Airways Express flew Dash-8's to Syracuse but then resigned service because of small passenger amounts. The in 2001 Commutair (Continental Connection) started service to JFK using Beech 1900's. But then again in 2002 Commutair (Continental Connection) resigned service because small passenger amounts. These days there are no scheduled flights or airlines out of UCA, there's just flight schools and leisure flying. After the 70's and 80's, SYR pretty much took over.

kcrwflyer

Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:45 am

Atrude777, yes its regional enough.  Smile

BoeingPride, How do you not fill a BEECHCRAFT to NEW YORK CITY??????!!!!!! im dumbfounded.

jetpixx

Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:55 am

One would think that MLB (Melbourne, FL) would be a growing airport, but that place would be a ghost town if not for Delta continuing to offer service. They still have a handful of MD88s to ATL and CRJs to both ATL and CVG. I am not sure if they have any flights to DFW. It is a serviceable airport with an affluent community and many in the aviation business at Embry-Riddle. I am surprised people do not mind the 45 min ride over to MCO instead of promoting better service at their nice airport. NIMBYs again?

boeingpride800

Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:10 pm

Well people tell me that Onieda County doesn't have THAT much people in it. Nobody wants to travel. And the few that had to travel to NYC for business only did every so often.

Oh and some airlines that were serving UCA in the 70's and 80's were Mohawk Airlines, Peidmont, Alleghany. Most airlines using DC-9's.

In 1945, Robbinson Airways served this airport. This plane took off and crashed landed on my 100 acre property. The former owners in 1945 had to pull people out of the plane that were on fire! I found this amazing and sad.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:50 am

wow. Thats amazing. You own 100 Acres!!!! Thats a lot!!,

Back to the subject. Any other airports out there.

deltairlines

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:07 am

Here's a few more:

Lebanon, NH - before 9/11, they had 7 daily flights to BOS, LGA, and PHL, all on Beechcraft 1900. Currently, they are down to 3 daily Beech 1900s to LGA.

Rutland, VT - They used to be a Colgan Air community, with service to BOS and LEB, three times daily each with Beech 1900 (flights were on a BOS-RUT-LEB-RUT-BOS routing). Currently, they have Continental Connection/Commutair, with twice daily service to BOS and ALB.

Nantucket, MA - Mainly season traffic. Cape Air serves ACK year-round, mostly to BOS, MVY, and HYA. During the summer, CO serves it thrice daily with ERJ-145s. Currently, US has 3 Beech 1900s and a Saab 340 to BOS, a CRJ to DCA, a Saab 340 to HYA, a CRJ to PHL, and to LGA, 4 Dash 8s and 3 Saab 340s. For the fall, US has daily CRJs to PHL and DCA and daily Beech 1900 service to HYA. LGA has 6 props, 3 Dash 8, 2 Beech 1900s and a Saab 340. Delta Connection served this airport in 2002 with FRJs to BOS and LGA.

Martha's Vineyard, MA - Seasonal as well. Cape Air serves year round to BOS, HYA, and ACK. Currently, there is a daily Dash 8 to DCA and Beech 1900 to HYA, and 4 daily Dash 8s and 2 Saab 340s to LGA. For this fall, US has a daily CRJ to DCA, Beech 1900 to LGA, and 4 daily props to LGA - 2 Beech 1900, 2 Dash 8.

Hyannis, MA - Cape Air to BOS, ACK, MVY year-round. US has five daily flights in summer, all on Saab 340s - 3 to LGA, 1 each to MVY and ACK. The fall has ACK and MVY going to 2 daily Beech 1900s each, and LGA having one Beech 1900.

Bangor, ME - Currently has 3 year-round CRJs to PHL on US and a seasonal ER4 to LGA on US. CO has 2 year-round Beech 1900s to ALB. DL has 4 dailies to CVG (2 CRJs, 2 CRJ-700s) and 4 CRJs to BOS. American has 6 daily ERJ-135s to BOS and 2 daily ERJ-135s to LGA.

New Haven, CT - DL just added service with 3 daily CRJs to CVG. US has 4 daily Dash 8s to PHL.

Rockland, ME - 2 daily Beech 1900 to Augusta, ME, 3 daily Beech to BOS.

Augusta, ME - 3 daily Beech 1900 to BOS.

Bar Harbor, ME - 3 daily Beech 1900 to BOS, 1 daily Beech to RKD.

PWM is also mostly regional (only 9 mainliners: 2 US 733 to PHL and 1 US 733 to DCA, 2 DL M88s to ATL and CVG each, 2 NW D9S to DTW), and so is BTV (only 5 mainliners: 3 B6 320 to JFK, 1 US 733 to PHL, 1 UA 733 to ORD).

Jeff

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:17 am

nice reasearch youve got there. Good replys everyone.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:11 am

ANother airport in Huntington, WV. HTS is dying. It has service to ATL CLT and PIT, even though the PIT service is being upgraded to 4 a day, with 25% of their passengers driving to CRW and the arrival if independence air in CRW, HTS is about to become obsolete, or a cargo only airport.