iflyatldl

Did AC Ever Upgrade Their DC8's?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:49 pm

After several readings of Canadianboy's AC flight 631 thread and the "California Galaxy" I took a trip down Memory Lane and looked at A.net's AC DC8 pics.I noticed that several photo's were taken in the early-mid 80's in European markets. My last trip on an AC DC8 was on the California Galaxy and that was in '74, returning to LAX after my Grandad's funeral. I've made the flight at least three times with AC and a couple of times with AA via YYZ. Those were the days there wasn't a LAX-YUL nonstop. I remember you were always fed very well, even in coach. My question is: Did AC ever get around to installing IFE on their DC8's? I took an impromptu trip with my cousin in'79 YUL-MIA on a AC 727-200 and it had IFE. Just curious I guess, anyone know? I'm guessing they had to at some point. YYZ717, any idea?  Laugh out loud
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

longhauler

RE: Did AC Ever Upgrade Their DC8's?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:43 pm

At the end of their passenger careers with Air Canada, the DC-8-63s were reconfigured with "wide-body" interiors with enclosed overhead racks. These aircraft were configured in 10F195Y or 224Y (for Rapidair) configurations. This would have been around 1979-1980, I'd have to go into my manuals to find an exact date if its important.

These aircraft had IFE with pull down aisle movies screens.

The passenger carrying DC-8-61s and the DC-8-53s were not reconfigured.

Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

iflyatldl

Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:17 am

LongHauler: Thanks for the 411! I figured at some point, they'd had to. That was a nice bird and a lot of great memories for me! Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:16 am

I know Air Canada cargo operated a few old DC-8s that were converted into a DC-8-73F configuration that flew around for quite a few years.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos