kbuf737

Buildings In Flight Path

Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:20 pm

As I was driving by the airport today noticing the work on RWY 14/32 lengthening, I couldnt help but notice that the approach lights are going up on RWY 32 end. I also couldnt help but realize that across the street from the airport grounds on each runway there are some good sized buildings, not that they are tall but one is a processing center for a Bank, the other a restaurant, and on the reciprocal end there is a large car lot, and what seems to be a warehouse right under the light posts which are going in. I was just wondering, what sort of restrictions are there in terms of buildings (and power lines as well) being right in the immediate approach/departure path? The overrun space is not very forgiving since the runway has been lengthened, and the blast fences won't do a whole lot in terms of stopping a 737 from going into the street I would think.

P.S. - Gas stations on the ends of each runway as well. (Southwest at BUR)

The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!