kcrwflyer

Will American Eagle Ever Come To CRW?

Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:52 am

I just had to ask, because we need service to NYC and a beach, so MIA would be perfect also, for beach travelers and connectors. They left CRW in the 70's. Will they ever come back? And why not? All of the airlines here are doing good. To All Employees of all airlines, has anyone heard any talks of CRW? Or are we still on the bottom of the to do list as i like to call it?

Cory6188

RE: Will American Eagle Ever Come To CRW?

Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:56 am

A CO ExpressJet to EWR would probably perform pretty well, considering the fact that there is such substantial connection traffic available at CO's EWR hub.

I bet that they could fill at least an ERJ-135.

A330323X

Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:13 pm

I think the most likely candidate for CRW-NYC service would have to be US/Colgan to LGA.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:57 am

I too think that Co could do the 135 to EWR.

Why could colgan be the most likely candidate? I think we could fill an rj to NYC.

Has anyone actually heard talks from their airline about new service in CRW?

What about NW replacing those saabs? They should rreplace their 9:20 flight and another afternoon flight with CRJ's because the saabs are always full on those flights. And i mean always.

Cory6188

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:21 am

CO would be able to offer much more connection traffic out of EWR as well as O&D to fill up the flight, whereas US would have to basically rely strictly upon O&D to service it.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:15 am

thats very true. Though there is a descent amout of O&D. Dont believe what faremeasure.com says, im using data from the airport director.

LambertMan

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:50 am

The o/d to the Miami/Ft lauderdale area is around 30 passengers a day, Chicago is something like 15, Dallas and St Louis are even lower. New York only has something like 44 without a hub on the other end isn't really feasible. The service you guys have does you nicely.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 am

did you even read what i said? Obviously not. Faremeasure is inaccurate. The accurate stats come from our airport director/manager, Whom i frequently speak to via e-mail.

And how do you know that the service we have does us nicely?

LambertMan

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:29 am

Faremeasure matches up with the stats given out by the government. I looked at what you guys have, matched it up with the demand, and came to the conclusion that the demand is pretty much met.

I matched St Louis' numbers up that were in the paper and the numbers that were on faremeasure and they matched to a tee.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:33 am

but when did the government measure this information? e-mail rick@yeagerairport.com , tell him who you are and what you want to know regarding passenger boardings and O&D.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:26 am

Another thing about our airport is that if you bring it, they will come. For example, US used to fly 2 dash 8's a do328 and 2 erj's from CLT. They just changed that to 3 erjs, 1 dash 8 and a do 328. All flights are running great loads even though the possible seats increased by 13. ASA used to fly 3 a day to ATL, Last year they increased service to 5 a days, and all flights are full. Yeagers passenger boardings are up 15% from last year and still growing. And so i say with the LGA, JFK, EWR, and MIA flights. If they bring it, they will come. As a matter of fact, They were negotiating with Hooters Air for flights to EWR, continuing to MYR.

N670UW

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:38 am

CO would be able to offer much more connection traffic out of EWR as well as O&D to fill up the flight, whereas US would have to basically rely strictly upon O&D to service it.

Where exactly are they going to connect to that they can't out of LGA? The Northeast? US has just as many connecting opportunites to NE cities as CO does from LGA.

Europe? The Caribbean? That's what US's CRW-PHL is for. Very few people are going to use EWR to connect to Florida. They'll choose CLT or ATL instead.

Cody

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:44 am

Kcrwflyer,

Back in 1995 I toured Continental's scheduling department. Four different route planners told me that CRW was being analyzed and that it would most likely be the next city added from EWR. I believe they said ATR's would operate the route. I guess things fell through, but I know it was planned. As for American Eagle it's anyone's guess. I would say ORD would make more sense than MIA or JFK. Did you know that in 1992 AA mainline flew to Greenbrier with 727's? Prior to that American served Elkins. I believe that was in the 1960's. I knew a girl who used to be a stewardess for American and she flew into Elkins quite often. She said she was "scared to death" flying in there.

I flew four trips to CRW last week on the ERJ. All flights from PIT were near capacity. PHL was still running a little slow averaging 15 pax per flight.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:02 am

yes, the PHL flight always comes in full or goes out full, but never both. Didnt know about greenbrier though.

"Europe? The Caribbean? That's what US's CRW-PHL is for. Very few people are going to use EWR to connect to Florida. They'll choose CLT or ATL instead."

Thats true. As a matter of fact, ASA could take one of its CRJ flights and divert it to MCO each day, and all of the customers would most likely be at their final destination. As ironic as that sounds. AA couldnt fly to ORD because UA owns that market. I suggested MIA because West Virginians love the beach, and they can connect through MIA. Would DFW work better?

MCMAHONSMR

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:07 pm

Interesting post - my sister traveled last weekend to visit a friend in CRW. I booked the ticket and was surprised there was not a single flight from any NYC airport to CRW. So, her routing was on US from LGA-CLT-CRW-PHL-LGA.

Coming home, her flight to PHL, the Mesa 2788 flight, was delayed for approximately 2 hours. I got the calls for alternatives and I have to say it was tough, especially since it was July 4 weekend.

I checked the FIDS display from the CRW website and I noted there was no AA Eagle flights. I doubt you'd see a flight to MIA - but ORD or DFW once a day could do the trick. But I definitely think that co could fill a 135 for both O&D operations and connections to their intercontinental flights. If anything I'd say CRW should be pulling for CO service.

It's nice to see that DH will be starting service soon to IAD.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:47 pm

You thing that AE could honestly compete with Uex on the ORD route? And we need DFW for connection purposes.

And DH will only add to our existing 6 flights a day to washington. 3 do DCA, 3 to IAD.

I am also amazed that there is no service to NYC. I think we could support a flight to LGA and to EWR. LGA for NYC and EWR for NYC and connecting purposes.

Airlines just dont care about us.

ERJ170

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:21 pm

Perhaps AmConn could do a CRW-STL-MIA or CRW-STL-FLL segment? I personally believe that EVERY airport east of the Mississippi should have some sort of N/S service to 2 destinations.. NY and DC.. that should be a MUST! Those are the 2 necessities for most economies. Even if it is spread out between (EWR, JFK, LGA, ISP, White Plains, Stewart) or (DCA, IAD, BWI). They are all commutable distance to the final destination.
Aiming High and going far..

kcrwflyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:34 pm

why the stl thing? nobody in CRW wants to go to STL.

we have tons of washington. In a few weeks , weel almost have hourly service to DC. No airlines will fly to NY from CRW though.

kcrwflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:36 am

while were talking about CRW, why did delta change the CVG service to all frj's? and give crj's to HTS?

kcrwflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:34 am

Who thinks Hooters will actually come? their still in negotiations apparently.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:56 am

Kcrwflyer,

You propose interesting questions, but unfortunetly the airline world does not revolve around CRW. While you may feel it is most important, in the grand scheme of the national air transportation network, and it most airline's eyes it is not, due to its size. Neither you or I are privy to the tools that route planners use to determine new routes and markets. Population size is only one aspect, along with economic factors, business support, and the overall demand for air service. While CRW may be up 15% from last year, look into why there was an increase. Was it because travel was supressed due to the rebound from 9/11, war in Iraq, etc. Was it because airlines unnecessairly reduced capacity and have added it back? Or is it because the area has grown? More likely its a combination of the 3 reasons.

Your chances of seeing Eagle at CRW are pretty slim. CRW-ORD likely won't happen. You have many larger markets in the East coast that AA/Eagle do not operate to and would be ahead of the list before CRW. AA focuses primarily on strong business markets out of ORD and really does not have a lot additional space in ORD to spend on what I would call a third-tier market like CRW. United is stronger in ORD and flies to many smaller markets, this is part since it can leverage its stronger presence in the East due to the IAD hub and be the airline of choice for people at CRW who are both east and westbound. AA doesn't fly to places like LAN, FNT, CHS, SAV, ROA, ISP, ABE, etc. Several of these I would expect to see before CRW. Plus Eagle isn't too keen on opening new stations. Only DL Connection and NW Airlink appear to be adding destinations while United and AA are more or less operating on status quo in the domestic United States.

DFW-CRW, nope, you'd see service to DFW before ORD. You'd severely limit the number of connections at DFW versus ORD, and ORD won't happen for the reasons mentioned. BUF doesn't even have service to DFW on AA or Eagle, nor does MDT.

As for NW operating Saabs. Again, you will not see all of the Saabs replaced into CRW. Right now Pinnacle has taken delivery of 100 CRJ's with only 29 remaining on order. Through the fall all new deliveries have been penciled in for expansion and additional capacity. CRW is not a market that will see them for the forseeable future. You may see one or two flights replaced in the future if demand warrents. Right now its summer, and all flights are full, heck the load factor is in the 80% range. Fact is all flights CRJ's and Saabs are going out relatively full. Now what will be the story during the other 9 months out of the year? Mesaba operates 64 Saabs right now, and other than the 4 remaining A models which may or may not be retired in the near future (story changes on a montly basis it seems) and they will all be around for a while, and will need a place to fly, hence CRW is one of those markets. NW pulled our one CRJ out of SCE and now we're back to all 4 daily Saabs. Might get a CRJ back in the fall, but we'll see.

DL is now flying more FRJ's out of CVG operated by ACA since they were pulled out of BOS and East coast flying as resources where shifted around. More 50 seat flying by Comair is happening there to consolidate the FRJ's at CVG, which in the end should help to increase reliabilty and reduce flight delays. Capacity can be better matched with demand at CVG by having the option of an aircraft smaller than the 50 seat CRJ's. Again in SCE, they pulled all 3 CRJ's and replaced them with smaller FRJ's.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:02 am

Very good points, PSU.DTW.SCE, I agree with you. Though, on a side note, American Eagle does fly to Islip.
a.

kcrwflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:27 am

"Your chances of seeing Eagle at CRW are pretty slim. CRW-ORD likely won't happen. You have many larger markets in the East coast that AA/Eagle do not operate to and would be ahead of the list before CRW. AA focuses primarily on strong business markets out of ORD and really does not have a lot additional space in ORD to spend on what I would call a third-tier market like CRW. United is stronger in ORD and flies to many smaller markets, this is part since it can leverage its stronger presence in the East due to the IAD hub and be the airline of choice for people at CRW who are both east and westbound. AA doesn't fly to places like LAN, FNT, CHS, SAV, ROA, ISP, ABE, etc. Several of these I would expect to see before CRW. Plus Eagle isn't too keen on opening new stations. Only DL Connection and NW Airlink appear to be adding destinations while United and AA are more or less operating on status quo in the domestic United States. "

Thanks for jumping on me even though everytime someone ELSE said sonething about ORD-CRW i argued that UA already had the market. Way 2 read all of the thread.

"You propose interesting questions, but unfortunetly the airline world does not revolve around CRW. While you may feel it is most important, in the grand scheme of the national air transportation network, and it most airline's eyes it is not, due to its size. Neither you or I are privy to the tools that route planners use to determine new routes and markets. Population size is only one aspect, along with economic factors, business support, and the overall demand for air service. While CRW may be up 15% from last year, look into why there was an increase. Was it because travel was supressed due to the rebound from 9/11, war in Iraq, etc. Was it because airlines unnecessairly reduced capacity and have added it back? Or is it because the area has grown? More likely its a combination of the 3 reasons"

I understand all of that also. What about the fact that CRW is advertising all over the state, the fares have lowered, and they are getting back the passengers that used to drive to CMH and RIC or PIT.
You dont live here so i didnt expect you to know that.

"DL is now flying more FRJ's out of CVG operated by ACA since they were pulled out of BOS and East coast flying as resources where shifted around. More 50 seat flying by Comair is happening there to consolidate the FRJ's at CVG, which in the end should help to increase reliabilty and reduce flight delays. Capacity can be better matched with demand at CVG by having the option of an aircraft smaller than the 50 seat CRJ's. Again in SCE, they pulled all 3 CRJ's and replaced them with smaller FRJ's."

Thank you, cus i didnt know that. And im not being sarcastic, i really didnt know.

And the topic was mainly about NYC, someone else brought up ORD and i vetoed that.

And i dont think that the airline world revloves around CRW. Im simply trying to gather information. If i asked this about RDU no one would have said that, because it is larger and popular. Please, im just trying to get information. I heard that flight attendants and pilots are on this site, so i asked them some questions. Please give me a break.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:10 am

Sorry man, I wasn't trying come across as rude, but oh well. Although its nice to have someone on here from a smaller city, and see whats up there. I have worked in the industry as a ramper for both DH and XJ so I'm not exactly clueless here. Yes there are plenty of people who can add other information too.

The way AA structures their route system, as for CRW's location and AA's hub priority based upon its position in the Mid-Atlantic would be: and then major markets that don't have service to them that would likely come before CRW (even existing AA markets)

1) ORD - FNT, LAN, ABE, AVP, ROA, MHT?
2) DFW - BUF, TOL, SYR, ALB, MDT, MHT
3) MIA - BUF, SYR, MDT, CVG, MEM, PVD, etc
4) LGA - pretty much most of the cities I've mentioned already.
5) RDU

Unless you're in prop range from MIA, you won't be an exclusive market to MIA. AA relies heavily on its mid-continent hubs. A stand alone MIA-CRW wouldn't work as there would be no other destinations to build brand loyality and funnel business traffic. AA doesn't to stand-alone routes to LGA either. They like service to their main hubs first then spoke cities. Eagle just isn't expanding into new markets right now. Replacing F-100 capacity and connecting the dots is pretty much all AA is doing right now with Eagle.
And AA has never been strong in connecting traffic in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. Thats a USAirways stronghold and also United at IAD.
F

trijetfan1

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:13 am

Kcrwflyer,

Didnt you tell me in live chat that COEX has a 1900Beechcraft to CLE from CRW?
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

kcrwflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:10 pm

yeah, they fly like 4 beechcrafts to CLE a day. All full of course.

ERJ170

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:33 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE...

Wouldn't STL come before RDU or LGA? I mean, RDU is just a focus city.. STL is a hub.....
Aiming High and going far..

MAH4546

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:35 pm

Wouldn't STL come before RDU or LGA? I mean, RDU is just a focus city.. STL is a hub.....

With the soon to be exception of RDU-STL, American Eagle does not fly to St. Louis. Only American Connection does.

And, kcrwflyer, the US government (DOT) measures O&D passenger traffic on a daily basis. They know exactly how many people travel between all US airports in the lower 48, and that is the information that faremeasure.com acurately uses.
a.

kcrwflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:30 pm

"And, kcrwflyer, the US government (DOT) measures O&D passenger traffic on a daily basis. They know exactly how many people travel between all US airports in the lower 48, and that is the information that faremeasure.com acurately uses"

Wow, thats amazing that the exact same amout of people fly from CRW to where ever every day.

"Sorry man, I wasn't trying come across as rude, but oh well. Although its nice to have someone on here from a smaller city, and see whats up there. I have worked in the industry as a ramper for both DH and XJ so I'm not exactly clueless here. Yes there are plenty of people who can add other information too.

The way AA structures their route system, as for CRW's location and AA's hub priority based upon its position in the Mid-Atlantic would be: and then major markets that don't have service to them that would likely come before CRW (even existing AA markets)

4) LGA - pretty much most of the cities I've mentioned already.
5) RDU

Unless you're in prop range from MIA, you won't be an exclusive market to MIA. AA relies heavily on its mid-continent hubs. A stand alone MIA-CRW wouldn't work as there would be no other destinations to build brand loyality and funnel business traffic. AA doesn't to stand-alone routes to LGA either. They like service to their main hubs first then spoke cities. Eagle just isn't expanding into new markets right now. Replacing F-100 capacity and connecting the dots is pretty much all AA is doing right now with Eagle.
And AA has never been strong in connecting traffic in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. Thats a USAirways stronghold and also United at IAD."

Its ok, you didnt mean to. I would have smarted you off or gotten an attitude, but i respect you. You have made many interestning posts and points of view in the past.

I didnt know that AA was doing that.

juanchie

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:37 pm

I would have to agree with the previous post, American Eagle wont be comign to CRW anytime soon. Although, there are possiblities to NY. First, a daily or twice daily to EWR on CO could work because they already have the fixed costs in place. Another possibility would be US to LGA with the numerous flights on US out of CRW. I would not rule out DL to LGA or JFK. Dl seems to runs some strainge pairs and has an increasingly larger operation in the northeast. The problem with CRW is that you get people on the planes leaving CRW, not really going there. CRW is not much of a turist resort and although I dont live there, I dont believe it is really a business city either. The routes you may see opening should be related to its huge coal and chemical plants. I dont know where Dupont and those companies are based though.

For instance, how many people from CRW want to go to NY... probably a good number.
But how many New Yorkers are planning trips to CRW... I wouldnt imagine 50+ a day. Its just a downfall of a small market. I would love to see some more service up there as Charleston and many of the surrounding cities are a nice little area, very peaceful. But airline service is complicated.

Juan Carlos
God, forgive me for who I am, and help me be the man I want to be.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:39 pm

The way AA has been thinking lately, you'd probably see MIA-SYR/MDT before they are served from DFW. They would open up more new key connections than DFW, especially Caribbean, where AA wants to keep up with US Airways. There are rumours that an MQ CRJ-700 base will open in MIA in late 2005 for the exact purpose of flying to places like MDT, BUF, etc. and feed Caribbean service. AEagle already flies MIA-CVG, and MIA-MEM is supposed to start in December, along with MIA-DAY.

Also, AA, mainly via Eagle, is going to start connecting more of the ORD-exclusive cities via DFW, partly in a move to relieve congestion. The new DFW-PIA route is one example, and more will follow.
a.

N670UW

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:15 am

Wow, thats amazing that the exact same amout of people fly from CRW to where ever every day.

The exact same number doesn't fly routes every day, it's a just an average. So the number should be close to that amount.

R

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:46 am

"CRW is not much of a turist resort and although I dont live there, I dont believe it is really a business city either. The routes you may see opening should be related to its huge coal and chemical plants. I dont know where Dupont and those companies are based though"

Have you been here before? we have tourisim. 4 ski areas, 2 largest museums in the state, Many festivals, Multifest ( cultural festival), Regatta ( huge festival on the river attracting some of the nations largest sternwheelers to travel all the way from mississipi. And we have 4 huge chemical plants in the valley that put executives on planes every day. All of the states headquarters of everything you can imagine is in charleston. And a large Nationwide company is based here, Columbia Natural Resources.

This might not match up to Jacksonville, but it generates a good amount of traffic. You also have to think about the amount of people that drive to CRW.
People drive from CKB, LWB, BLF, PKB, and HTS, for lower fares and better aircraft.

stirling

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:24 am

Considering West Virginia's condition, I would have to say the commercial aviation enviroment at CRW is operating above all conventional expectations.
Let me throw out a few statistics to illustrate my point......

WV Household income averages $29,700
The US average is $42,000

West Virginia's population grew at less than 1 percent. (0.8%)
While the average growth rate in the US was 13 percent.

Private non-farm employment declined 0.5%

Retail sales per capita average $7,700, while the US average is $9,200.

Check your census for confirmation of these and other facts at www.quickfacts.census.gov. The point here is that WV continues to be behind the rest of the US in economic growth. This has been the trend since the 1950s.

In the real world my young friend....Many airport managers are probably quietly envious of the level of airline service at CRW....I live in one of the fastest growing areas of the country....a metro area twice the size of CRW...with a cachement area of well over 1 million....and all we have are 4 flights a day on Skywest Brasillias. I would love to have the choices of air travel available to the folks in CRW and WV...

Be thankful for what you have, and keep asking questions.
Delete this User

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:47 am

dont get me wrong, im extremely thankful. And i always will keep asking questions, which is all im really doing now. By the way, where do you live? It must be close to a large airport. And im sure its out west because Skywest is the only Emb 120 operator i know of.

Crw is basically the airport for a 150 or so mile radius, maybe more. I dont know what airport youre from, but do you have room and equipment to expand?

CRW, when the jet age came around, was built to handle about 4 737/dc9/727's at a time. Gate A and B are the original jetways, which is why they are designed to go up to a 767/777 height. The 4 new jetways were added on and can only go up to a 757. Yeager also had 3 check in counters added. If US didnt use 4 counters as it is, we could handle another airline.

Anothey reason for our traffic is our extremely agressive airport manager. He is a go getter. He is even Putting safety areas on the ends of the runways so that Co can fly the ERJ 145 to IAH with no weight restrictions, and so that Shuttle americas and Colgan air's Saab 340A's can handle fuller loads to washington. Mr. Atkinson is an awesome manager. I even talk with him via e-mail.

If you would like to know more about yeager, i sure would like to know a lot more about your airport, perhaps we can exchange photos of our airports? And discuss what should or hasnt or coud be done to make things better at either area.

juanchie

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:48 am

haha, you have to love the profile. Its like a background check. Although I am from JAX and live in Athens, I spent every summer until last year in CRW. So yes, I have been there, in fact most of what is left of my family is there visiting right now. Now for the last, say 14 years, I dont recal ever seeing a ski area in Charleston. Now I am quite aware of them in other parts of West Virginia. Ski Travel is not real big this time of year might I add. Now, museums arent big turist spots for people out of WV. They would be if you had flights intrastate. A true turist destination is like Miami where you can go to the beach year round, Vegas where you can gamble year round, New York where you can see the numerous sites like Broadway etc.

My point is when looking at your cities service take into account why an airline would consider service and why people outside CRW would want to fly there. Businesses like Dupont draw air service. WV's two biggest museums probably dont. But fine job asking questions and best of luck finding flights to NYC.

Juan Carlos

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:15 am

which is why i wonder, Why is Us upgrading to all jets by year end? Why is CO upgrading to 145 to IAH? Why is Independence even comimg?

I never figured out why this stuff is happening? Im glad it is though.

N670UW

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:25 am

Why is Us upgrading to all jets by year end?

They aren't.

Why is Independence even comimg?

Most medium-sized markets on the East Coast can say the same thing.

R

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:41 am

"Why is Us upgrading to all jets by year end?

They aren't."

You wanna talk to the airport manager? or would you rather see the article?

They said they would eliminate 2 props to PIt and it would go to all jets, and they planned on using only jets at yeager by years end.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:42 am

And to answer the last question...

Why is CO upgrading to 145 to IAH?

As you mentioned, there are some runway and weight issues with CO on CRW-IAH. The ERJ-145s they fly are XR models, with extended range. There will be no more weight/range issues thanks to the upgrade.
a.

N670UW

Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:13 am

You wanna talk to the airport manager? or would you rather see the article?

Calm down. Show me the article, and I'll believe it.

Right now, US Airways Express will go all-jet on CRW-PIT effective Aug. 9 (removing the two Dornier 328 turboprops). However, Express will continue flying two Dash 8's and one Dornier 328 to CLT, along with two Saab 340's to DCA.

When the new September schedule takes effect, US Express will continue to fly props to CRW (Saab 340) and CLT (Dash 8). Also, beginning Nov. 7, US removes the regional jets from the CRW-CLT route.

R

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:21 am

i mean, in terms of the airline wanting to do it. Why do they see need for expansion.

Oh, and if anyone cares, all flights out of yeager are running about 90% load factors. Dca is the only one i know of that isnt above 80%, and im pretty sure it has to do with weight restrictions.

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:24 am

"Calm down. Show me the article, and I'll believe it.

Right now, US Airways Express will go all-jet on CRW-PIT effective Aug. 9 (removing the two Dornier 328 turboprops). However, Express will continue flying two Dash 8's and one Dornier 328 to CLT, along with two Saab 340's to DCA.

When the new September schedule takes effect, US Express will continue to fly props to CRW (Saab 340) and CLT (Dash 8). Also, beginning Nov. 7, US removes the regional jets from the CRW-CLT route."

really? their taking the jets off, Why? their all running great loads now. And i was wrong about jets, but 50 seat aircraft in general. I consider the dash 8 300, well i treat it like a regional jet. What will Us use on the CLT route in place of the rj's? And will they use smaller planes even if the RJ's are still full?

N670UW

Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:58 am

What will Us use on the CLT route in place of the rj's?

Dash 8-100/200 (37 seats), Dash 8-300 (50 seats), and Dornier 328 (32 seats).

R

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:11 am

why such a big decline from all 50 seaters?

juanchie

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:27 am

One funny thing happening at CRW is that UAX uses saabs from IAD and can carry 30 pax yet the airline, i assume air whisky, refuses to put more than 15 bags on the aircraft for weight reasons. And last weekend, on one flight there were only three bags for the 30 pax and on the next day there was a flight with 0 bags, none, zip. I just couldnt believe it when i heard it. Just figured I would share.

Juan Carlos

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:26 am

its Shuttle America. How can they have no bags with pax? Are they allowed to bring bags? I dont get it. And this is another situation where we need the RSA, which will be started soon.

And on the IAH flight, They use the 145xr twice a week now. When the RSA is installed theyll use the regular 145 all the time.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:41 am

West Virginia skiing??? I don't think too many people are flying into CRW to go skiing. Again, its a regional draw, a lot of people from the Baltimore/Washington area go out the the wilderness of WV and VA to get away from it all. I've been down to Timberline and Snowshoe. The skiing is pretty good, but if you're going to fly, go out West or up in New England. The weather for skiing in the Mid-Atlantic kind of makes the season relatively short.

Anyways, Indy Air is coming because ACA already had the station there from their UAX days. And Indy Air is unique to begin with, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. When ACA made the transition they only dropped about 3 stations that they flew to under the UAX contract.

As for Shuttle America, well the lack of bags could be because either:
1) horrendous weight restrictions on their A model Saabs. The A's can rarely go out full with pax + bags now with the increased FAA weight limits. At least if they had the B models they could get an additional 2000 lbs MTOW. In the summer out of DTW on XJ, even with an 8000 ft runway and a clear weather day, the A models are often weight restricted to 25 pax + bags. Makes for an ugly situation if the aircraft was swapped from a B+, means you're looking at an oversold/overweight by 9 people, ouch.
2) Or because Shuttle simply forgot to load the bags, which knowing them, could be a distinct possibility.

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:02 am

in CRW the b's go out full of everything

juanchie

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:25 pm

Actually, skiing is quite big in parts of WV. I live in JAX and I hear people talking about some great ski sights there. I though have never been, skiing is not my cup of tea. Prefer the beach. But there is no skiiing in Charleston or really in any of the nearby towns if i remember coorectly. They are more in the northern parts.

Yeah, that story about UAX cracks me up. Apparently they had to get a truck to take the bags from a few flights includign the two with a total of 3 bags from IAD to CRW. From what I was told its a restriction not leaving them behind. The ground crew said to my family that the airline, not united by shuttle america REFUSES to put more than 15 bags on the plane when there is a full load of pax. Now my question is whether this is specifically a shuttle America problem or a Saab problem. I cant imagine the plane was made to not allow passengers to bring a bag each.

Juan Carlos