skibum9

Flying Wing

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:01 am

I was watching a show on the Discovery Wings channel the other day, and they were discussing how airliner manufacturers have reached the limits of the traditional tube and wing designs. In the show they were discussing how NASA has been doing research into a passenger version of the flying wing called the Blended Wing Body (BWB), but made no mention on when such a new airplane design will surface. Here is a link to what was being discussed:

http://www.nasaexplorers.com/show2_912a.php?id=01-007&gl=912

Has anyone heard of any other research or design going on to move towards this type of design, particularly at the main manufacturers, Boeing and Airbus? I would also imagine that a main issue with this design would be the airports, as the ramp space is configured for traditional aircraft design. So in short, how many decades will pass before we change to this, or some other sort of airliner design?
Tailwinds!!!

fritzi

RE: Flying Wing

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:55 am

Boeing were planning on building a BWB aircraft a few years ago, but they decided to flushed the plans down the toilet.

dl021

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:01 am

The two problems I have heard from designers are thus:

1. You cannot take advantage of the wings for pax seating because people would get a roller coaster ride due to the wingtips moving up and down.

2. Passengers want a window fairly close to avoid feelings of claustrophobiam and to be in the middle of a twenty passenger row would put people too far from an actual window for comfort.

Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:33 am

Also, the development costs would be pretty massive. It COULD be done, but there are lots of problems to solve. Easier to build the 7E7.

As Dl021 says, claustophobia is a big problem on a flying wing.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AmericanAirFan

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:32 am

Clostrophobia is a major factor in makeing a pasenger version also it'd probaly be very bumpy since its one big wing type thing.
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

Blackbird1331

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:03 am

Part of the window problem could be resolved with cameras for takeoff and landing. A camera view of the terrain below during flight and overhead windows large enough to give everone a "window" seat.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

lehpron

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:32 am

The claustrophobia problem exists even now in widebodies, big deal, make the damned thing smaller. Why should all concepts have to be the size of a football field? Don't tell me about specifics, every plane is thought up with a target agenda in mind, the one of the original reasons for the BWB was that we cannot keep increasing the size of the traditional based design for future high densities. A plane twice the size of an A380 would prove inefficient as an A380-sized wing with twice the payload. I think the biggest problem is how to pressurize a hockey puck with wings.

Reversing square-cube, a smaller BWB (not really a flying wing, don't confuse them) may have an advantage over a medium sized airliner, it surprises me no one has looked into this.

Think of a single class layout for the purposes of clairity, where as you enter the plane there are 6 seats and one aisle and as you go to the back, it becomes 10 seat abreast with two aisles. Maybe it will hold 200 pax and be no bigger than a 739 with twice or more the range because of twice or more the wing area/volume. It would be a high-wing, btw.

No claustrophobia, unless you don't like being in between two aisles...
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

ltbewr

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:13 pm

The idea of a 'flying wing' passanger aircraft is not a new. This was considered in the mid-50's by Mr. Northorp himself of the now military a/c maker. I believe a prototype was made. To deal with 'claustophia' there would have been windows in the nose including on the front edge of the floor. In a twist, the 'Stealth' bomber has dimensions and appearances very similar of Northorp's original idea. In the 1950's you didn't have the control technology that computers can do today to allow the use of such designs to be workable as 'flying wings' have serious stability issues.

Areopagus

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:57 pm

Boeing were planning on building a BWB aircraft a few years ago, but they decided to flushed the plans down the toilet.

More like: Boeing inherited McDonnell Douglas's BWB work, but made no serious proposal to actually build such an airliner. When Airbus launched the A380, Boeing sniffed that an airliner that big would be more efficient if implemented as a BWB.

VSXA380X800

Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:17 am

but they decided to flushed the plans down the toilet.

What is with them, Can they make up thier mind! _sigh_

4 decks 4 engines 4 long haul

lehpron

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:36 pm

Unless Airbus makes bank on A380, Boeing has got all bets on 7E7 to simply take care of itself, otherwise they would have tried to develop the BWB as the only contender to A380. But they do not believe the current market (however long, I hope they thought long-term) is big enough for two manufacturers of VLA's. Maybe perhaps in the 2020 era...

Didn't Boeing propose a BWB-variant to replace the aging C-5 Galaxy's for military transport or does the C-17 take care of that for the next few decades?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.