Wally236ER

Cameras To Be Banned On Planes?

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:05 am

I heard a rumor the other day at the airport from BAA that all pax will be banned from carrying cameras and mobile phones with cameras onto aircraft.
You will have to put them in the hold with your other luggage and hope they don't get lost or damaged.
How will I make my next trip report for a-net?

ltbewr

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:19 am

Picture cell phones and cameras have raised some serious issues of privacy and security thoughout the world and there being banned from many places of employment, business buildings, government buildings and facilities, gyms (especially the locker rooms), airport terminals (like EWR as to cameras). I would preseume that there is a deep fear of recording security procedures and structures by terrorists to find weaknesses to be exploited. There is also the personal privacy and annoyance factors of people taking pictures, usually requiring the use of flash on a camera. Even the use of a flash on a camera could be used by terrorists to carry out an act or contain a bomb device. Placing such items in the checked baggage does increase the risk of damage, theft or if the luggage is mishipped, then you are without them when you may need them the most.

neilalp

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:22 am

Rumor!

As far as camera phones go, companies are making blocking devices so your phone wont be able to function in camera mode if a building installs this new device. I saw a report on ABC news a week ago.

BostonGuy

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:22 am

From whom did you "hear" the rumor at BAA? We don't need a name, but a description of the person's role at BAA would be helpful. Someone who cleans ashtrays may not have as reliable information as someone in an executive position.

I ask only because some people on this forum like to start their own rumors which are based on fantasy and nothing else. Sort of frustrating to get involved in determining if a rumor has some truth to it only to find out it's someone who just made up something for entertainment!

I'm intrigued about this as photography (even with cell phones) has just been banned on the subway system in Boston due to security concerns.

FinnWings

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:53 am

That rule would be very ridiculous... What is the point of ban the use of camera phones as all arriving passengers from different countries still would have cameras and camera phones in their pocket??

Besides, I don't see any reason why they should be banned at the airports.

Best Regards,
FinnWings

ba319-131

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:53 am

This sound like horse "£$% to me.

There is no way this would occur,perhaps banning taking photo's,but not making everyone place them in hold luggage.

If it does,and I don't think it will,this is just another step in the direction of being a Police State.

Everyone seems hell bent on making life more and more miserable for travellers.

Just my 0.02 cents.
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

jwenting

Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:56 am

If that were to happen I'd be happy to check my equipment IF and only IF the airline and/or BAA were to pay me twice the replacement value in advance so I can buy new equipment at highstreet UK prices on arrival.
If the equipment is returned to me complete and undamaged they get the money back, if anything is missing or damaged (even a filter or battery) I get to keep it all.

But I doubt that this is set to happen as the right to carry cameras on board is set firm in international treaty.
BAA MIGHT restrict the use of cameras on board UK airports and maybe airlines but that's as far as they can go.
I wish I were flying

kaitak

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:22 am

This kind of nonsense really makes me cross; BAA shows its corporate colours in its attitude towards security (unfocused) and enthusiasts. Not only has it gradually reduced the facilities available to enthusiasts to nothing, it has also - while coming out with some bland patronising nonsense about understanding enthusiasts - been instrumental in getting other airports (Melbourne and Hong Kong) to reduce its facilities.

Okay, maybe this isn't aimed at aviation enthusiasts, but even if it isn't, here BAA comes out with some meaningless b*****s and as a result of this ill considered garbage, tries to restrict people's use of cameras? It's madness and what's worse, it must give people pause for thought as to how focused BAA is on security, if it sees cameras as a threat. Does this mean it's war on aircraft enthusiasts? What will it do if it sees people with a camera? Confiscate it, or caution people? In other words, its attention will be focused on people who don't pose a threat; resources will be diverted away from activities which do pose a threat. All because some office clerk decides cameras are "a bad thing".

Oh, and here's another thing: the TSA warns against cameras or film being in checked baggage, so perhaps the two of them could get together (that would be a nice meeting - somewhere in Pyongyang or Najaf, perhaps) to decide a middle ground.

Sammyhostie

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:31 am

Cameras are dangerous.

If a pax tries to get a video camera out or a normal camera when we are doing the demo, or arming the doors, I say something straight away.

We dont care what the spotters miss out on, its our security and the passengers security we are concerned about.

neilalp

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:43 am

Do you wake business men up if they are asleep during the safety demo? If not then why bother the spotters who are your second best source of info if something happens in flight (besides the flight crew).

Sammyhostie

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:46 am

Yes I do. Everyone needs to watch the demo, its not just for gimps to laugh at.

You may pretend to know everything and anything about an a/c, and what to do i n an evac/ditiching, but at the end of the day we are there to help you, and to save you.

So yes I would not hesitate, and nor would any of my colleagues in waking up any pax of any class in order to watch the demo.

Spotters assume too much. They do not have the training and work environment we have, they just dream they do.

[Edited 2004-07-11 18:48:10]

gigneil

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:46 am

As far as camera phones go, companies are making blocking devices so your phone wont be able to function in camera mode if a building installs this new device. I saw a report on ABC news a week ago.

Not only is this highly doubtful, but likely impossible.

N

GSPSPOT

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:38 am

Sounding just a bit hostile, Sammyhostie... Why? Spotters are harmless, and I would think airline employees would appreciate people who take such interest in their industry. Airline enthusiasts are a bit of a down-trodden bunch, post-9/11. Especially here in the 'States. Your tone is just a bit disappointing.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

qantas744

Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:57 am

This is from the website of the TSA:

Air carrier has no liability for photographic equipment, computers, VCRs and any other electronic equipment including software or components, jewelry, cash, documents, furs, works of art or other similar valuable items

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=183&content=09000519800aece5

My camera equipment happens to be pretty expensive and I have no intention of putting it in the hold, in fact the TSA makes it clear that they advise passengers to have cameras in their cabin baggage not in the hold.

Sammythehostie, what on earth are you talking about-talk about making sweeping generalisations, I don't anyone think here is advocating the use of cameras during the safety demo and using that as a reason to stop people taking cameras on planes is garbage. Please go into more detail as to why cameras are dangerous and I don't want to hear nonsense about safety demos-I'm talking about the use of cameras during cruise etc which is when I (and almost everyone else IMO) use my camera when I'm flying.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

AmericanAirFan

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:18 am

Are camera's only being banned in other country's besides the U.S. or are they starting to be banded from flights here in the states?
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

VEEREF

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:21 am

That would really be a shame if that was to happen. Not surprising though. Just another example of how technology is evolving much faster than our ability to control it............
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

adriaticus

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:58 am

"Cameras are dangerous" = Nonsense... And until Sammyhostie explains the foundations of such a ridiculously free assertion, it sounds more like a pile of rubbish...

If this ever happens, it would be yet one more setback in the liberties of flying passengers...

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21 B721/2 B732/3/G/8 B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 DC8/9/10 MD11 TU134/154 IL62/86 An24 SA340/2000 E45/90

md11dude

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 am

I worked for CP a good long time enough, and i think its Bull%$#! to ban a camera...what next..no Q-tips??
CP979

voodoo

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:44 am

Don't worry Sammiehostie. You won't see me with my camera. Empasis on the word `see'.
`Flight attendants be seated for take-off.'
Bwhahahahaaa
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:50 am

Why not ban passengers? They are the biggest risk in the whole operation. (BTW, if I travel I usualy carry an aluminium attachee case full of photographic equipment with me, two Minolta SLRs with additional lenses, one Zenzai Bronica medium format camera and a professional flash gun, this stuff is NOt going into the cargo hold, period.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

anstar

Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:00 am

Can someone pleasse explain to me how a camera is dangerous?

If I'm sitting in the cabin on take off what can my camera do that is so bad?

voodoo

RE: Cameras To Be Banned On Planes?

Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:19 am

I think what most airlines teach the hosties is that a) electronic equipment will make the planes go like a robot confronting Capt. Kirk and b) [legacy fear:] in the event of the plane careering off the runway etc. the cameras will `be like missiles' flying through the cabin.
Of course, not being suicidal, the wise photographer has taken these factors into account and taken appropriate measures.

delta-flyer

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:07 am

I don't fly CO anymore (even though I can get DL miles) because they don't allow using a camera during taxi, take-off and landing. It's in their written policy. DL, NW, and others don't have this restriction. I have asked CO about the reason for this (through their website) and the answer I got was that they submitted my question to the technical staff. Of course, I have not received a reply in over 6 months.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

qantas744

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:26 am

Ok so I'm going to PHX from LHR soon, last I checked BAA has no jurisdiction whatsoever over what I take on board the aircraft at PHX when I come home, and I strongly suspect that it is up to British Airways and the CAA to determine what I take on board on the flight from LHR.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

JBirdAV8r

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:07 am

If I'm sitting in the cabin on take off what can my camera do that is so bad?

become a missile in the event of a rapid deceleration...
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

MACDADDY

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:09 am

Well an odd subject this one. Sammy hostie i see your going for the controversial post then, and voodoo you do make an interesting case for objects becoming missiles. However why give out items such as headsets, personal kits and blankets pre take off. If there is a concern about camera use ask the individual to put the offending item into the seat pocket when not in use?

Now as for the point made by Sammy Hostie and Voodoo. Passengers are asked to switch off electronic transmitting devices. This is because it can (in circumstances still to be scientifically verified) interfere with navigational systems. A camera does not transmit a signal of any sort, nor does a video camera. A phone camera obviously does. I'm not going to start a slanging match about flight attendants and some of their "habbits", especially waking up passengers for safety demos, but its fair to say, do all hosties take the demo seriously themselves. Think back have you ever made a collegue laugh during the demo, or not kept a straight face yourself? Or seen a flighty laugh? On that note a quick story

I flew Ryanair PIK-STN. I shot the front of the aircraft and the hostie told me it was not allowed and i quote "because of september 11th". I asked her to expand and justify this and she tried however was shot down in flames on production of my LHR ID pass as a dispatcher, and how i carry my camera airside. I think i may have also called her a Moron, but i don't remember!

Final point. BAA, never gonna happpen because they as the security provider at their airports take individual items from pax based on ICAO and IATA laws, as well as UK law. They do not have the mandate to remove individual airline prohibited items. Case in point, Air India pax cannot carry lighters on their person, do BAA confiscate all pax lighters? NO !

Relax spotters, never gonna happen

neilalp

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:54 am

GIGNEIL,

My comment As far as camera phones go, companies are making blocking devices so your phone wont be able to function in camera mode if a building installs this new device. I saw a report on ABC news a week ago.

Your comment Not only is this highly doubtful, but likely impossible.

I suggest you brush up on your technology about camera jamming devices for phones.
http://news.com.com/2100-1009-5074852.html
http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/10/cx_af_1210camera.html

Not that this is related to the point of cameras on planes, but the technology is out there.

757drvr

Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:15 pm

I think there is some truth to what Voodoo stated. Some flight attendents don't really know and understand the real reasons for the electonic equipment rules. I had one on an AA flight tell me that I had to unplug my headset from onboard entertainment system because of the "rule". I tried to explain that to her that I was plugged into the onboard syst which does not have any operational restrictions, but she didn't even let me finish.
As far as cameras and picture phones, I think that it is more from a legal standpoint that they don't want incriminating photos taken. I have noticed on AA that they now have a blurb about photographing and video taping of crew members and company procedures. I am sure some of this is the result of 9/11 as well.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:32 pm

Sammyhostie
Yes I do. Everyone needs to watch the demo, its not just for gimps to laugh at.

-How would sleeping be a form of laughing at the safety talk?
-What if we have already seen it, hundreds of times?
-What if, us spotters/enthusiasts, actually know we are on the same airline/aircraft as a previous trip of ours and are able to recognize the safety procedure is most like the same? We do pay attention to certain detail you know...
-What if that person sleeping is a business traveler who has heard the safety spiel enough in their life to sacrifice another listen for a few more minutes of sleep? You hear something enough, no matter what it is, you tend to tune it out, and sometimes, even be put to sleep by it! That goes for everyone. Besides, they could probably get up there and give the talk themselves...IN THEIR SLEEP!

The safety demo seems to state the obvious. Maybe not for a first time flyer, but after a while, you do get the general idea. Plus it's not like it really ever changes, or varies much...

While I do respect flight attendants their training, I must say...the safety demo is hardly rocket science.

Voodoo
Of course, not being suicidal, the wise photographer has taken these factors into account and taken appropriate measures.

Which is why I choose to keep the wrist-strap around my wrist while I'm using my camera.

Don't worry Sammyhostie. You won't see me with my camera. Emphasis on the word `see'.
`Flight attendants be seated for take-off.'
Bwhahahahaaa

Big thumbs up

[Edited 2004-07-12 08:40:52]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

beechcraft

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:21 pm

Sammyhostie,
you´re waking up passengers for the demo? Cool. I´d say that raises the amount of confident customers quite a bit...
Come on, relax!
For the rest, i´ll go along with Voodoo and MD11Engineer.

take care,

Denis
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Dazed767

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:40 pm

OK taking a camera out during the demo or arming of the doors is one thing (don't know why you would take a photo of that), but taking a photo out the window of a sunset etc, is completely harmless.

SAS330GOT

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:43 pm

There are going to be a lot of lawsuits because of property damage. Especially because of the cameras. The cell phones I can understands, but putting a camera in the hold will not be good for the camera at all thinking how luggage is handled, then also the x-ray machine. It is not going to be pretty and a lot of people taking there old broken cameras putting them in the luggage, to comply and then complaining that their camera is broken.

Cameras might become projectiles but so will shoes, newspapers, magazines. We should travel naked, and be strapped in on the floor so everything is strapped down. We are going to be sort of safe from ourselves.

my 2 euros

Sammyhostie

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:47 pm

Hhheee you lot are so funny.

You may think you know what to do in an emergency, due to those endless copies of manuals you read, but if the worst did happen I bet you would freeze up.

We dont do the demo for fun, its important to know what to do! Know matter how many aircraft you have flown on.Its also obvious to us since 9/11 that the majority of pax do actually watch us and study the safety cards now.

When I fly as a pax I always pay attention in the demo, I consider my safety to be important, and I do not count on my years of experiece as crew to be enough in a different airline/aircraft to save me.
There are different lifejacket types, (RDF, thru waist rope, to name but a few)
all that function and secure differently, etc etc.

Yes its is such a small likiehood that something major would happen, but at the end of the day 100% crew prepare for that every day of their working lives.
Silent review when take off/landing - how do i open my door? what if the slide dosent inflate? what hazards could i face? what emergency equipment do i take with me (different for every crew working position)

Regards to pax not being confident, they do look a bit worried when we explain the operation of the overwing exits, and the command to open them, but Im sure they would rather know how to get out!

Please do take us seriously, and not just be a victim of your own ego's.

voodoo

Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:56 pm

I previously wrote:
I think what most airlines teach the hosties is that a) electronic equipment will make the planes go like a robot confronting Capt. Kirk and b) [legacy fear:] in the event of the plane careering off the runway etc. the cameras will `be like missiles' flying through the cabin.

Hmmm I think a few have missed the sarcasm and taken my words in support of Sammiehostie. In fact, as has been mentioned, using a wriststrap on a lightweight camera should be enough. The duty free bottle in the overhead is a greater danger. And I don't believe digital still cameras are a source of interference. As far as I am concerned, if an aircraft can be interfered with by any common electronic equipment that is e.g. accidently left on...then that aircraft is not airworthy, whether `certified' or not. The blanket regulations are a feeble attempt to cover the uncoverable. Think for a minute: just how many cell phones, gameboys, and laptops must be accidently left switched on in planes on a daily basis! The majority of flights have them, I am certain.

VonRichtofen

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:23 pm

You mean they're not already banned?! I can't believe this!!! We are all in danger!!!

Signed,
MartinairYYZ

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:28 pm

This is so ridiculous. These security measure and precautions are just getting more and more unbelievable.

MACDADDY

Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:59 pm

Sammy Hostie,

I find it strange you are going on about us having an ego problem as a collective group of spotters. Your the one blowing your own trumpet about how you know all the safety procedures and how we as passengers would freeze but you wouldn't. Wow its so great to know that with burning fuel, and broken aircraft all around, the death and destruction would not phase you. I really hope you are on my flights everytime you super human cabin crew you! Although I'd never be able to photograph the event of course!

Sammyhostie

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:00 pm

LOL! Thats a fair post.
I just mean we know a lot more than you do aircraft/SEP wise, so respect it!

neilalp

Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:24 pm

I think what all the spotters are saying is that we understand the Crew knows more about the plane than we do, but we know the second most and you have plenty of other people who know nothing and are going the freeze up that you'll have to worry about. I'd love to know the percentages of people who watch the safety demo. When ever I walk on board I glance at the nearest exit and take a 10sec look at the safety card to make sure there is nothing new, but I don't feel the need to see how the put on the oxygen mask and remember help my neighbor 2nd, or pull the lifevest tabs once outside the plane. Maybe it is arrogance, but that is my problem I guess.

David T

Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:41 am

I have largely become a person that believes every plane which takes off must either be empty where would be travelers must now fantasize, much like that Arnie movie a few years back; or all passengers must now fly naked! Baggage carousels will be removed and giant change rooms will be built the world over.

On a serious note: Aside from the usual segwaying which is common in the forum, the post refers to cameras and mobile phones with cameras, and of course a previous reply has hit the nail on the coffin, that we as a society are getting too far ahead of ourselves and the technology is far out pacing normal civilized behavior.

But, to even remotely suggest that a normal camera, whether it be a digital, throw away or a Hasselblad for that matter cannot be in the cabin due to what ever dreamt up reason is preposterous and cannot be enforced. There are so many holes in this that would collapse even the beginning of any due diligence. BAA would firstly need the endorsement from the Transportation Department. The Transportation Department would have to send this request to god knows how many other British government departments so as to cover off on all civil liberty issues. Needless to say this would also involve the European Union and naturally any civilized country in the world.

Lets say BAA does get to implement this... But no other country follows. I leave Canada for Britain with my camera in my carry on, I enter British airspace, "Ohhh Captain, can I have access to the hold so I can store my camera in my checked luggage now"?

To the flight attendant in this string, with all due respect, your argument for banning "camera's" is meritless. If anyone wanted to make notes on procedure. There is something called a pen, paper and time piece. (Little bit of army background)

Lastly, what about "World Air Routes"? Quite frankly, look at all the information on any one of those DVD's? It doesn't matter whether the program is a British registration being profiled or not, the fact that a tremendous amount of information is supplied in detail, on any one DVD available to the public world wide, more so than a "STUPID" camera would ever capture.

The only thing that causes me to retract and take pause a little, is if this rumor is more related to the possibility of a camera being "rigged" like what occurred with the shoe, then this is what we need clarification on.

September 11th, 2003 changed the entire civilized world. We live in uncertainty. Each and every person must be vigilant and aware of our surroundings on a plane, in an airport, in a popular night club.

vs773er

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:36 am

Sammyhostie.

I find your input insulting. If you are against the photography, or indeed aircraft enthusiasts as a whole, then why are you on this site?

If SOME people realised the amazing feat that is 'aviation' perhaps their narrow minds would embrace it more.

Simply working on an aircraft does not make you a hero if you needed to be.

Loser.
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

dan2002

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:39 am

September 11th, 2003 changed the entire civilized world.
That would be September 11th, 2001 changed the entire civilized world.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

David T

Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:44 am

Yes, thank you for catching that Dan2002. I cannot explain why I put "2003".

757drvr

Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:57 am

Sammyhostie,
You don't always know more than the pax. You just never know who is sitting next to you....a boeing/airbus engineer, a veteran pilot with thousands of hours on the very equipment you might be on...etc. In those cases, these pax are going to know a lot more about that airplane than you do. With all the retired pilots, mechanics, f/a's and design engineers that are out there flying around, not to mention the current one's, It is more and more likely that you are not the most knowledgeable person aboard that aircraft.

thomasphoto60

Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:32 am

No self respecting photographer would even for a moment entertain the idea of allowing $1,000, $5,000 or $10,000 worth of fragile photo gear (save for long lenses, lights, backdrops, ect...) into the cargo hold of any A/C..PERIOD! So many photographic organizations, news outlets, wires and other operations that depend on getting their shooters to and from their assignments as rapidly a possible would raise one hell of a stink. Until I see some more verifiable than a un-sourced rumour then that is all this is...... a rumour.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

David T

Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:56 am

Oh, I forgot to mention... I looked at your profile Sammyhostie and it appears you are an F/A for My Travel, if I am not mistaken. (Sorry if I am wrong)

Regarding the waking of passengers during the safety demonstration and your mentioning "any class", well I really don't think you have much experience in an international First Class or Business Class environment along with also considering your age. So to suggest "any class" is an over statement.

If you were a BA First Class F/A and you knew that B/A's number 1 customer is in seat 2A and you noticed he was nodding, you would honestly wake him? A guy that probably flies the same as an average F/A and on top of that, probably knows the airline CEO personally.

If you are with My Travel, how the devil would you spot someone in that crowded tube nodding anyway?

Anyway, this is likely a non issue and non starter!

Sammyhostie

Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:36 pm

I have previously worked for BA David T, hence my comments.And I find MYT a lot better company to work for, not that that matters.

You spotters do make me laugh. I suppose the passengers who know my aircraft better than me would include you?!

Im not saying I know every little detail about the aircraft, just that in an emergency, I would know what to do and how to get you out a lot better than you do.

If you havent got that kind of respect then thats very sad.

Ned Kelly

Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:58 pm

BAA to ban camera's on planes!

Last year when I flew out of LHR, I bought a camcorder at Dixons in terminal 3 duty free. This was after my luggage had been checked in. How would I have placed the camera in the hold? Will BAA ban Dixons and other shops selling camera's? I doubt it some how.

David T

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:14 pm

Well, lets agree on one thing... That your safety and evac training will never be used in real time, though my humble opinion is very clear on this matter none the less. Lets hope for your sake that World Air Routes doesn't strike a deal with MYT for their next DVD.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:16 am

Sammyhostie:
You may think you know what to do in an emergency, due to those endless copies of manuals you read, but if the worst did happen I bet you would freeze up.

1. This is very true, and will always be true, I don't care if you pay attention to the safety demo or not.

2. This can also include you! I said above that I respect F/As and their training. In the event "the worse" DID happen, I would trust that you, based on your training, would know what to do, and assist the pax in the way you have been trained. That's your job, and I respect that. However, until you are actually faced in that situation, training or not, YOU don't even know how YOU would react.

Anyway my point is, I understand the reason and significance of the safety demo. I do not, however, think it will really make a difference in the event of a real emergency. The general public will panic, freak out, lose all their senses and freeze up regardless of whether or not they pay attention for 2 mins during the safety demonstration.

You will know what to do in an emergency because you have gone through intense training day in and day out. Pax hear a 2 minute demo. They will still require your calm, professional assistence in the event of an emergency.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos