widebody

Ryanair's O'Leary To Bid For Aer Lingus

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:23 pm

Irish newspaper Irish Independent yesterday reported that there will be two challengers to the Aer Lingus management buy-out, one being a consortium of pilots; the other being Ryanair's Michael O'Leary. It is expected that O'Leary himself will bid, not Ryanair....he plans to keep the two companies running separately, but he will run both of them.....

He's nuts enough to do it.....

snnams

RE: Ryanair's O'Leary To Bid For Aer Lingus

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:27 pm

I think that would mean the end of low fares in Ireland forever...  Wink/being sarcastic

I'd say the chances of the govt allowing it are between slim and none... but you are right.. O leary is nuts enough to do it!

transPac

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:36 pm

This O'Leary guy is one serious megalomaniac. I certainly hope he doesn't get his hands on Aer Lingus. Lord knows what sort of innovations he might have in mind for the carrier!

widebody

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:30 pm

The two airlines might be a little more compatible than it seems, now that EI are currently stripping themselves down to the low cost model. He might also have the intention of doing what he did to Buzz though, which would be a distaster. Hard to call, but don't think it would be passed by the Irish government.

StarGoldLHR

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:42 pm

If he bids for Aer Lingus... the price goes up
He who pays more... makes less money.

Olearys good on this by forcing the price up and not buying he's making it harder for the competition.
If the price doesnt go up.. then he scored a bargain.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY