jetpixx

How Does A City Earn Airline Service?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:53 am

I've lived in Boca Raton (BCT), FL since 1980 and the area has grown tremendously. I know MIA, FLL, PBI are all within an hour, but I am positive that BCT would be able to handle a B1900, DH8 or even a CRJ given the runway here. How does a city or airport go about getting airline service - especially when it is basically a reliever airport. I am positive that the growing population (near 100,000) would welcome even commuter service to the Bahamas, MCO, TPA, etc.

Los Angeles has ONT, SNA, BUR, LAX and LGB - obviously BCT is nowhere near capable of that type of expansion - but prop service or RJ service would be feasible.

jeffie813

RE: How Does A City Earn Airline Service?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:24 am

since you live in boca, i'm sure you are aware of the attitude of most of the population and of the boca raton city government. they are EXTREMELY anti-BCT expansion. they are pro-PBI. they have been working with PBI to promote use of PBI among boca residents. it took years just to get them to allow another FBO besides boca aviation. there are also state/federal regulations that prevent BCT from getting true traditional commercial service. on top of that, i'm not certain that BCT could truly sustain scheduled commercial service. if they could, i'm positive that it would only be in season. all this is strictly hypothetical anyway - BCT will not see commercial service anytime soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos