atrude777

TWA LLC Is NO MORE.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:40 am

Hey folks, was reading the current July Airways Issue and they said this month (July) TWA LLC will be no more, and everything is officially AA now. Here is the qoute...
"In July 2004, the division of American Airlines created from the Trans World Assets and operating certificate- called TWA Airlines LLC- is scheduled to cease operations. The merger is complete."  Sad  Sad  Sad

Well there you have it, that means no more TWA LLC Stickers on the nose end of the MD80's. I flew on a reconfigured TWA MD80. I honestly didnt know it was a TWA plane until the pilot told me. The plane was N960TW, from what i saw I could not find the TWA LLC Sticker on the nose, also inside it was all AA, they had the headrest and new seats and it even had a black nose!! Thats why I thought I was on an AA MD80. Just wanted to let you guys know, and for all TWA Fans, its officially the end.  Sad Good bye TWA, and we will always hold your spirit here in STL. I wish we the TWA fans could ask AA to keep one TWA MD80 in the TWA livery for good memory. Just ONE PLANE...

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

scottysair

RE: TWA LLC Is NO MORE.

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:42 am

It is no more TW LLC is gone now and it will use with AA LLC now, right?

atrude777

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:45 am

Scott- There is no AA LLC, its just AA-The Airline, or rather AMR, Am I correct?

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

propilotjw

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:48 am

Correct. AMR owns AA. TWA was just made into a seperate division of AA and AMR called "TWA Airlines LLC" - An American Airlines Company

scottysair

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:55 am

Yes, it will make owns AA or TW before. It will make change with aircraft or at the company.

Okie

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:57 am

AMR Corporation
TWA LLC = division of AMR
American Airlines = subsidiary
Eagle Holdings = subsidiary
Executive Airlines = subsidiary

I am not sure about Sabre or other ventures.

Okie

goboeing

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:00 am

What does LLC stand for?

Nick

luv2fly

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:03 am

Limited liability Corporation.
You can cut the irony with a knife

LambertSTL777

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:12 am

Woah. TWA was totally ripped apart even before it had officially disappeared? Geez, AA's quick!

I love American Airlines.

[Edited 2004-07-13 04:18:35]
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

atrude777

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:21 am

Scott- The only change we will see within the company or aircrafts would be on the MD80's of TWA. The TWA LLC STickers will be take off as the TWA Certicifcate is disolved it is now under AA's certifictae/AMR, and TWA interior will now become AA.

to others-I assume the reg number is the same? Or will it be re-registered under AA??

Alex

sccutler

Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:47 pm

Lambertstl777:

TWA was "ripped apart" before AA touched 'em; TWA LLC was created to be a new holding company for TWA assets which would be operated by, and eventually absorbed by, AA (AMR). The operating airline assets of TWA were transferred to TWA LLC so AMR could invest in acquiring and operating what remained, without risk of greater loss from the claims of TWA creditors.

Got it?

AA did nothing to TWA. If you want to find a victim, look up "Icahn" in the dick-tionary.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

qqflyboy

Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:47 pm

I read the article, too. The only problem is the TWA certificate won't be retired until August 31. I was surprised Airways reported that since AA released months ago that the certificate was expected to retire on August 31.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

godbless

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:56 pm

How big is AA now compared to pre-TWA-merger times? Would American still have bought TWA if they would have known what was about to happen to the Aviation scene?

Max

transPac

Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:39 pm

GodBless, in hindsight I doubt AA would have gone ahead with the merger had they known what it would be eventually entail. I get the impression that it was a financially draining process, and yes the timing turned out to be pretty bad.

LY4XELD

Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:35 pm

Did this honestly have ANY affect on AA's operations? I've flown on a couple of ex-TWA aircraft on AA and I can't stand them. The older MD-80s prior to reconfiguration are awful, IMO. (I think there is also a difference between ex-TWA FA's and AA FA's as a flight I took from SAN-DFW demonstrated for me).

At this point, this is a formality. TWA has esentially been gone long before this point.
That's why we're here.

N777UA

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:47 pm

"It's the end of Trans World as we know it..."

aamd11

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:43 pm

> I assume the reg number is the same? Or will it be re-registered under AA??

I'll assume the former in this case.
it costs money to change registration numbers on a/c.
I'm quite sure AA wouldn't want to spend all that time effort and money on something as trivial as aircraft registrations.

AirframeAS

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:00 am

Sorry but I got to say this:

BRING BACK TWA!!!!!!!!! Once a great airline, and now its just an airline in the history books.  Sad
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

N328KF

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:03 am

Sabre is now an independent company.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

TWFirst

RE: LY4XELD

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:11 am

>>Did this honestly have ANY affect on AA's operations?<<

1) Yes. They eliminated a formidable competitor in the Caribbean, and they became, and continue to be, the world's largest carrier due to the acquisition. They also hold some potentially very lucrative route authorities. Additionally, during the integration process, AA took the approach of identifying any best practices at TW they could adopt into the AA organization. So, some TW competencies and thus TW's legacy will always remain a part of AA.

>>I think there is also a difference between ex-TWA FA's and AA FA's as a flight I took from SAN-DFW demonstrated for me<<

2) I don't know when you took that flight, but there haven't been any former TWA FA's around for about a year or so.... all were laid off. But if you worked your butt off flying for a carrier for 20+ years, just to have your carrier bought by another and your seniority list stapled to the bottom, you might be kind of demotivated as well.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

american762

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:15 am

We all knew it was here and I'm sad to say. TWA was my first airline experience. I flew TWA EVERYWHERE and always enjoyed their product. Such nice FA's. We remember you always TWA. You were a BEAUTIFUL airline with one of the most beautiful liveries that ever graced the skies (the newer livery).
Pan Am has a place of its' own. You call it the world, we call it home.

jfklganyc

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:29 am

What route authorities does AA now own?
Are most out of JFK? Will they start them with the new terminal opening?
With open skies now in effect with many countries, aren't route authorities useless in most cases?

PJ

jmy007

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:36 am

Good Bye TWA!

You were my hometown airline, If TWA didn't fly there, then I didn't go there!
My very first plane ride by myself (with out the family) was in 1985, on TWA skyliner 747 STL-LGW. I was nine, and was and unaccompanied minor. I was allowed to board first, and they let my Dad on the plane to see me off.
The F/As were really nice to me, giving cards, magazines pilot wings. And then when we where about to land, one nice F/A took me up to first class and let me sit in the nose section for landing.
Then as I got older, and started traveling more, TWA was there for me again, STL-CDG, CDG-TLV, JFK-LIS, even STL-YYZ, and of course many time on STL-LGW flight 720/721. And of course their domestic network St. Louis took me everywhere.
You will always be in my heart TWA!

Goodbye.  Crying
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

lat41

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:46 am

The July Airways article was shocking. The business world is full of "if onlys" but..if only TWA 800 hadn't happened and 9/11 hadn't happened. TWA had streamlined its fleet and workforce and look poised to finally become viable. Then along came swaggering American. It was not a merger but a decimation. My last couple of experiences with AA however, remind me of Eastern in its later years and we know what happened to EA.

Continental

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:05 am

Man do I feel lucky to have used the TWA terminal at JFK a few times in 2000. It was amazing! The terminal was great, and the gate area had all that red, 70's carpet. It was nice to see all those TWA aircraft sitting at the gate waiting for their passengers. Just months later, it was closed, and TWA was no more.

RedDragon

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:12 am

"What does LLC stand for?"

"Limited liability Corporation."

Exciting way to make my forum début, but... what roughly is an LLC? (Compared to British designations like Ltd. and plc (public limited company), what do the American LLC and Inc. equate to?)

Smile

ssides

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:35 am

LLC actually stands for "Limited Liability Company."

Essentially, it is a corporation that is structured like a partnership. In TWA's case, I think they used this entity type in order to protect AMR and its other subsidiaries from some of TWA's debts and liabilities.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Okie

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:56 am

TWA was in bankruptcy court as the result of self inflicted wounds and bad business decisions previous to AA. TWA and its employees were all reality TOAST at that point.

There were just too many parasitic factors involved for TWA to survive with any down turn of the economy, FLT 800, high lease rates, Korvorkian make that Ichan sucking the life out of TWA. Even when Ichan came along with the first save, the thought was that the TWA was going to ride off into the sunset happily everafter and they almost pulled it off.

The bankruptcy judge heard arguments from Ichan and AMR about who would be best to take the remaining assets of TWA. The judge chose AMR as it looked to be the best for those involved at that time.

Then when AA came along, and it was thought that operations and employees would be seamlessly meshed together and AA would operate the profitable routes of TWA. They would fly off into the sunset to the land of milk and honey to live happily everafter with the knight in shining armor. NOT

If there was not a down turn in the economy, if there was not a 9-11, if there was not a Enron or Tyco, if if if the list goes on and on. TWA was my favorite airline. Unfortunately the airline industry is littered with failed efforts PA, BN, EA come to mind.

Okie

trnswrld

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:56 am

I personally have no complaints with the ex-TWA aircraft. Sure TW had some old MD-80's but they also had the newest also. After the merger AA's MD-80 fleet went from huge to rediculously huge. I think the 80 fleet is bigger than most airlines entire fleet. I know the 75's are being phased out slowly, but I liked them better than AA's setup. Most of the TW 75's are newer, I like the pop-down LCD screens better, and the fact that it has the extra doors and lavs just aft of the wings. Makes more for a "heavy" jet feel. This ofcourse is all from a passenger perspective so im not familiar with the operating differences. TWA was basically the only airline I ever flew and I enjoyed every flight. Now my mother after 27 years with TWA is now laid off.

TWFirst

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:04 am

Okie: The man's name is Icahn, not Ichan.

Okie

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:07 am

Thanks for the correction TWFirst.

I still think he was Korvorkian.

Okie

TWFirst

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:34 am

Okie: Agreed! (pun intended  Big grin)

BR715-A1-30

Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:11 am

It really is a shame how AA did TWA like that. I remember seeing TWA in SAT, IAH, and MSY
Puhdiddle

robsawatsky

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:38 am

"TWA had streamlined its fleet and workforce and look poised to finally become viable. Then along came swaggering American. It was not a merger but a decimation."

You forgot to insert in between the two sentences - "Unfortunately, TWA re-entered bankruptcy protection once again."

AA purchased the assets of TWA, so you are correct, it was not a merger.

dl021

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:53 am

I remember flying on one of the last TWA flights from Kansas City to St.Louis. The flight attendant thought it was going to be ok because she was getting a raise and going to be with an airline not saddled with CheapTickets.com (lets boycott this company that fundamentally sucked the life out of TWA's recovery and would not let go). Too bad that AA's pilots union (as well as the other unions) managed to get the TWA pilots and employees listed at the bottom of the seniority rankings (which ran counter to promises made during buyout negotiations) so that when the layoffs hit TWA took the first hit.

I don't really blame AA's people for protecting themselves, but so much for labor solidarity. When times get tough, it's every man for himself, huh?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Thrust

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:53 am

Another blow dealt to St. Louisans. TWA is now officially extinct....and soon their 757s will be gone from the AA fleet  Sad R.I.P.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

B777FA

Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:57 am

2) I don't know when you took that flight, but there haven't been any former TWA FA's around for about a year or so.... all were laid off. But if you worked your butt off flying for a carrier for 20+ years, just to have your carrier bought by another and your seniority list stapled to the bottom, you might be kind of demotivated as well.

TWFIRST,
Just to clarify, The TWA F/As seniority was basically given away by their own union the IAM,when on April 4 2001 they agreed on behalf of TWA to delete pertinent provisions from the TWA F/A agreement including seniority protective clauses.Earlier they had said that they would never do this and fight any attempt by AA or TWA to remove these protective clauses.

Av8rDAL

Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:04 am

My Uncle Hans was a proud captain at TWA since the early 1970s. He began flying the 727 "plumber's panel" I think (saw a picture of him in the company newspaper he saved from 1973) and eventually made Captain on L-1011s, which he flew throughout the 1980s. Those were his "glory days," and probably those of the company itself- flying the big Lockheed to Europe, left seat.

He retired at age 57 in January of 2000. His glory days were very much over, thanks to that cretin Carl Icahn. Upon his retirement, he was back to 727s, making only about $100,000 a year when other captains with AA, DL, UA were making twice that and even more.

If you even mention the name "Icahn" around my Uncle, you would be best to prepare for a whole lecture about him and his history as a genuine example of a white-collar criminal and corporate raider.

The last time I flew TWA was my first trip to California- ATL-STL in the last row of a DC9, STL-SMF on TWA's employee-sponsored MD83 in the red livery (bumped to first class too!), and then back home via STL again. It was a great experience and I had high marks for the airline- from the back of the DC9 as well as in First Class.

So long to one of America's foremost and most highly regarded airlines!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Hough

[Edited 2004-07-14 03:09:12]
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

atrude777

Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:17 am

"Two great airlines, one GREAT future" Yeah sure TO WHO?!?!

I cringe everytime i hear that slogan used.

I just STILL cant believe TWA is actually gone. Crying
Alex

boeingbus

Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:46 am

Yes, TWA is missed... my first flight was July 1980 from JFK to LIS on a 747... No more... surprised AA/TWA killed this route...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

blink182

Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:00 pm

On the subject of Icahn, did he ever at anytime recieve legal punishment? I know AA's lawyers got the Karabu agreement destroyed, but did the US Government ever go after him?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Thrust

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:43 pm

So long to one of the world's most highly regarded airlines as well....TWA and Pan Am are the reasons so many airlines with vast global networks exist today. TWA will always be my favorite airline....and is gone but by no means forgotten Big thumbs up

Av8rDAL

Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:36 pm

I don't think he has ever been prosecuted, mainly because I don't think he has actually broken any laws. He's just a die-hard capitalist billionaire known for hostile takeovers-- money is power. Of course, I could be wrong, but I haven't found anything concerning legal proceedings against him.

He's worth about $4.5B. He's also been involved with Texaco, General Motors, and recently took over RJR Nabisco, which was the crackers/cookies division of the tobacco giant. A few years ago, he sold Nabisco to Phillip Morris and pocketed $130M for himself. That's what he does- buys into companies that appear weak or "mismanaged," does whatever he has to do to get them profitable to a degree, and then sells them so he can get a cut. Then he just walks away and finds another company and repeats himself.

Currently, he's president of the company that owns the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. He's also the chairman of the holding company which owns Sands Hotel/Casino in Atlantic City, NJ.

It's unfortunate that this guy is so selfish and only looks out for himself. The employees of TWA had a great company, possibly a great future, and their careers whipped out from underneath them. It's quite obvious that Icahn didn't care one bit in the world for an airline with such a glorious history!

Ugh...

--my .02

ckfred

Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:23 pm

The reason that TWA got stuck with Carl Icahn is that he was a corporate raider. He would buy a large position in a company, then make a tender offer for the rest of the stock. Another company (called a white knight) would make its own offer at a higher price, and Icahn would sell, making a profit.

When he made a tender offer for TWA, no white knight appeared. He was stuck buying the company. Add to the fact that he had never been in corporate operations. He was just a finance guy. It's a wonder that TWA lasted until AA bought the assets.

AA had a decent gameplan until September 11th and the government's refusal to approve the UA-US merger.

AA wanted another Midwest hub, because the summer storms of 2000 had wrecked havoc at ORD and disrupted DFW. A third mid-continent hub would improve AA's ability to move people.

At the same time, AA was going to lease F100s to DC Air and swap the TWA 757s (P&W powered) with UA for US's 757s (RR powered). Thus, AA would have commonality in the 757 fleet, as well as gotten rid of some of the F100s, which have not been a good fit in AA's fleet.

ssides

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:05 am

It's unfortunate that this guy is so selfish and only looks out for himself. The employees of TWA had a great company, possibly a great future, and their careers whipped out from underneath them. It's quite obvious that Icahn didn't care one bit in the world for an airline with such a glorious history!

I don't like Carl Icahn any more than the next guy; he was arrogant and obviously a bit of a shady character. But to a certain degree, people like him were responsible for turning many US companies around back in the '80s. Back then, many US industries were suffering from overleveraged pension debts, stringent union work rules, and labor costs that were way out of line with productivity. By taking over these companies, the "corporate raiders" forced efficiency on them.

True, TWA was a great airline with great employees, but it wouldn't have lasted for long in its existing situation. It was overburdened by unprofitable routes and ultra-high labor costs. Someone would have come along and restructured it anyway. It's just too bad it turned out to be someone like Icahn (that deal he got where he could sell TWA tickets after he left was especially irritating).
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

TWFirst

RE: B777fa

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:21 am

>>TWFIRST,
Just to clarify, The TWA F/As seniority was basically given away by their own union the IAM,when on April 4 2001 they agreed on behalf of TWA to delete pertinent provisions from the TWA F/A agreement including seniority protective clauses.Earlier they had said that they would never do this and fight any attempt by AA or TWA to remove these protective clauses.<<

Yes, I am aware of what happened... and there was a lawsuit filed on behalf of the rank and file, who were mortified by what their union leadership did. Doesn't change my point.

Thrust

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:23 am

Well, there was the alternative of Frank Lorenzo....what an idiotic jerk he was! We were lucky to get Icahn  Yeah sure

Don Carty for AA was just as cruel to STL and TWA as Icahn was in my opinion. He ruthlessly laid off TWA employees, and kept about as many promises to STL and TWA as the white men did to the Indians.

Okie

Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:42 am

Don Carty for AA was just as cruel to STL and TWA as Icahn was in my opinion. He ruthlessly laid off TWA employees, and kept about as many promises to STL and TWA as the white men did to the Indians.

The economy was already in a down turn, (part of the reason for TWA bankruptcy), then came 9-11, inspite of what was promised the airline market collapsed. There just was not enough business to keep everyone employed Period.

I have an acquaintance that worked for AA as a FA and was low on the seniority list, she implied that the seniority was controlled more by equipment type. Immediately after 9-11 her feeling was that a lot of senior FA's were going to take early retirement, or had spouses that had enough income that they did not have to work would retire, and that would move enough people up the seniority list that not very many of the TWA FA's would be laid off. Well that did not materialize and she was laid off and still not back to work for AA, although she works for another airline now.

The bottom line, after 9-11 all bets were off, AA was not going to layoff their loyal employee's to keep TWA's unless they were certified on equipment that AA did not have properly trained employee's to operate. It was unfortunate, at first from the passengers point of view it looked like "two great airline one great future".

Okie

iairallie

Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:33 am

D1021

Neither the FA's nor the Pilots were "stapled to the bottom".

TWA FA's hired prior to 4/10/01 recieved a senority date of 4/10/01 which makes them senior to about 2,000 AA'ers. Those hired after that date (about 80 FA's) were given a 12/01 senority date. AA generously gave them equivalent pay senority. Which they were under no obligation to do. A TWA FO told me it ended up being almost a 75% pay increase for some. Small consolation now given the furloughs but had 9/11 furloughs not occured a pretty good deal.

TWA pilots were shuffled in using some sort of formula not sure the exact ratio. Something like 1 year occupational senority at AA for every 4 years at TWA.

Hey it sucks to work for a company for 30 years and have them go under. And in this industry it could happen to anyone. I feel for them I really do because that could be me in 30 years. This sort of thing should happen to no one. But at some point they've got to stop demonizing AA. Blame your TWA leadership, blame your Unions, but stop blaming AA.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Av8rDAL

Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:08 am

Hey it sucks to work for a company for 30 years and have them go under. And in this industry it could happen to anyone. I feel for them I really do because that could be me in 30 years.

Right on, Iairallie. Every airline employee must know that your job security simply does not exist. You are in a very sensative and dynamic industry and are merely pawns. That doesn't discourage me from wanting to become a captain, but I will always try my best to be prepared mentally and financially to accept a pink slip for whatever reason, especially since I do plan to marry and have kids someday.

If you want job security, go into business for yourself or become a funeral director or plumber. Personally, the view from a 777 is better than looking at dead people or into someone's plugged toilet.