BCAL
Topic Author

Could O'Leary Save United?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:08 pm

Much as you love or hate him O'Leary is a successful businessman who turned Ryanair into one of the current most profitable European airlines. He certainly stands out in the crowd, has not yet failed to deliver, and sometimes it is hard to know if he is joking or being dead serious.
But just supposing, and no offence meant to anyone, he was poached to turn round the fortunes of United Airlines in the same way as he succeeded with Ryanair. Do you think he would make a success of this task?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ANA

RE: Could O'Leary Save United?

Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:11 pm

Not with their unions. But he'd probably get rid, quite efficiently, of a lot of other costs that burden UAL.

hz747300

Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:01 pm

That would be killer. Flying UA from LAX to SYD without a seat pocket, window shade, or reclining seat!!!

But if the ticket were $250, I'd probably do it. However, I would be heavily sedated from TylenolPM.
Keep on truckin'...

AirframeAS

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:05 am

BCAL......dude, what have you been smoking?! Are you insane or high on drugs?!?

If O'Leary took over UA, he would tear the airline apart literally. The chances of him taking over UA is pretty much slim.

Giving O'Leary ideas eh?? You GOT to be crazy!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

DfwRevolution

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:16 am

Much as you love or hate him O'Leary is a successful businessman who turned Ryanair into one of the current most profitable European airlines. He certainly stands out in the crowd, has not yet failed to deliver, and sometimes it is hard to know if he is joking or being dead serious.

So is Herb Kelleher, who I think everyone agrees is a tad more sane than O'Leary. Either way it wouldn't happen.

uprightNlocked

Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:22 am

The only O'Leary that can save United is Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (google Chicago Fire)

BCAL
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:00 am

AirframeAS

Not crazy but just curious if O'Leary has a reputation for cutting costs to the bone, then could he do likewise with the high costs burdening UA?

Of course O'Leary taking over at UA would never happen in a million years, but just imagine if he did.

The recent discussion "Is O'Leary Crazy" has been one of my favourite of recent days. The only thing I am high on is laughter at some of the postings!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."