MoneyShot
Topic Author

Flying Hawaiian/Aloha Island Hoppers

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:41 am

I know that this may sound like a silly question but I am interested in the work day of the pilots who hop from island to island in Hawaii for Aloha and Hawaiian. For lack of a better term, does this ever get a bit old. Now mind you, I never could imagine getting tired of any flying as a career. It just seems that all these flights are under an hour and there destinations are pretty much constant. I know that regional airlines on the mainland can be short and limited but most regional airlines have far more destinations than just the Hawaiian Islands.

A few ideas I have had might answer a bit of this but maybe you all know or have heard about this from those pilots and FAs.

One idea is that possibly the they do the mainland flights as well. I would assume the FA's would as well as the Aloha pilots due to the fact that they only fly 737's.

Another idea is that island hopping flying is most likely a great way to build skills with all the take offs and landings and very little cruising. Its sound like fun to me in that sense.

Still, I'm sure some of you understand what I getting at. Any ideas? Thanks

neilalp

RE: Flying Hawaiian/Aloha Island Hoppers

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:49 am

If I were a pilot it would be great as you wouldn't fall asleep b/c like you said you're always taking off ot landing.

I did talk to a Hawaiian Air pilot once and if I recall correctly, he said that it is like a regular workday for most Americans and he works 8 hours there-abouts and then goes home to his family. To me that sounded nice.

MoneyShot
Topic Author

Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:55 am

That is a really cool way of seeing it come to think of it. I just always think one of the best part of flying for a living would be staying at a number of new places. I get really bored being around the same spot for too long. I'm sure the older I get the more being around the house and family will seem nicer.

ha763

Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:42 am

I have worked with pilots from both HA and AQ due to the positons I have had at both airlines.

Flying interisland does get repetitious. It also causes pilots to become complacent. I've known several incidents that resulted from the pilots expecting things to occur as they usually do. These incidents almost always are ATC related. I've also been told it is less tiring flying transpac than interisland because of all the cycles.

Interisland pilots usually work a max of 8 hours per day, but usually is around 6 hours. It all depends on the bid schedule. Plus, the longer day you work, the more days off you have. The pilot contracts limit max flying time to less than the FAA's 100 hour max. AQ's is 80 hours and HA's is slightly more.

As for AQ, they have seperate pilot bases for the -700 and -200. The pilots cannot fly both at the same time since they can only be in one base. However, the FAs can fly both interisland and transpac.

leelaw

Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:12 am

Ha763:

What kind of ATC incidents were you alluding to in your post?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

ha763

Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:34 am

They really are minor things like inputing the wrong transponder code.