cumulonimbus

Will Turboprops Displace RJ's In The Future?

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:38 am

I was wondering with fuel prices as high as they are and Turboprop performance such as the Dash 400 and saab 2000 being comparable to RJ's will they ever have a chance of returning to Airline Regional fleets in large numbers? I know that many turboprops are cheaper to operate than RJ's especially in routes under 400 miles. I think that really the only thing holding them back is those passengers that say they are old and unsafe. I do however think that 70 to 100 seat RJ's would be a great Complement on the longer range Routes for both Turboprops and Mainline Aircraft. Strangely enough I have heard people complain about RJ's, especially the CRJ and even heard one Customer say that they wish the props were still in service! I was just wondering if the Props will ever return. Thank you for your opinions.

Mike

frugalqxnwa

RE: Will Turboprops Displace RJ's In The Future?

Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:07 am

Maybe, but turboprops have lost a lot of ground to RJs. The complaints about the CRJ-100/200 are valid, I can personnaly attest to them. However, I have heard that the ERJs, CRJ-700/900, and EMB-170/175/190/195 are vast improvements (have yet to fly on an RJ other than CRJ-100/200s). If the Saab 2000s come back, they will be used aircraft as Saab no longer produces airliners. The Q400 might displace some RJs on shorter routes, but only where it makes sense. Airlines are trying to keep the number of fleet types to a minimum these days, so why buy a turboprop that can't serve the longer, lighter routes when an RJ meets both short and long range needs?

ssides

Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:04 am

Frugalqxnwa is correct -- except for the CRJ-100/200, regional jets are such a comfort-improvement that I doubt you'll see turboprops really make a comeback.

And Frugalqxnwa -- it's a shame that you've only flown on the CRJ-100/200. I've flown on the ERJ-135, the ERJ-140, the ERJ-145, the CRJ-700/900, and the CRJ-100/200, and there is absolutely no comparison. It's amazing how much better the CRJ-700/900 is when compared to the 100/200. More space, smoother ride, just a great plane. Hard to tell, however, if I like it more than the ERJs (which are almost exactly alike -- sometimes it's hard to remember which series you're on!)
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:09 am

The Props are still very active within Europe, for example FlyBE operate a decent sized fleet of the Dash8-300/Q400.

BA Citiexpress operate the Dash8-300/ATP/ATR on a number of domestic routes, having opted for the props on domestic service over the 146 and ERJs (which operate the trunk business routes mainly). Don't get me wrong, I love the RJs but being a regular flyer to BHD with BA, I actually prefer the props.
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

elwood64151

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:59 am

except for the CRJ-100/200, regional jets are such a comfort-improvement

I don't know why you'd say this. I'd rather fly in a CRJ, where I can stand while walking down the aisle. In an ERJ-135/145, I have to duck or I hit my head...

Props have a place on ultra-short routes like CLT-ILM or STL-SGF, or MAD-PMI in Europe. But on routes more than about 250-300 miles, RJs and other jets have a serious advantage in the ability generate more lift, or the same lift with fewer aircraft, even though the RJ might be the same size or smaller than the prop.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

POSITIVE RATE

Turboprops

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:16 pm

Never. RJ's are the future. If anything turboprops are the dying breed and they will be gone in the near future. Replacing RJ's with turboprops is just taking a step backwards- doesn't make any sense at all.

ly7e7

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:08 pm

No. In the long run - trains will.
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

L410Turbolet

Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:55 pm

LY7E7,
I think that aviation has its clearly defined limits and trains are the way of the future, especially for cargo and distances covered by short-haul passenger flights right now. If they wouldn't be so often paralyzed with unbusinesslike attitude they could compete with airlines already.

pilotpip

Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:12 am

Public perception is also a major consideration. Despite the economics of turboprops they are unjustly seen as being 'less safe' than the RJs. I guess people equate the spinning prop to old technology despite the fact that it's still a turbine engine and many of the turboprops out there are better equipped than older 737s flying around out there.
DMI

ouboy79

Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Follow very closely what Delta does in the near future. Their new reorganization plan should be ready in August and the future of the RJ will be spelled out. Remember, Delta - more specifically Comair - pretty muched paved the way for the RJ movement. Their new CEO doesn't care much for the RJs on routes over 2 hours and also in situations where a prop - specifically the Dash 8 Q400 was mentioned - are more effecient than a CRJ.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos