22right
Topic Author

Why Is The Concorde Next To A Runway At LHR?

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:11 pm

This photo was being dicussed in a separate unrelated thread, but I just noticed something weird (!?)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Catchpole

Please look carefully just to the upper left of center. You may need to view the picture in Large mode. I am 99% sure that is a BA Concorde sitting there. I was under the impression that the Concorde was going to be in a public viewing area at LHR. A few meters from what looks like an active runway (is that Rwy 22??) sure doesnt seem like a public area? Was this picture really taken on July 4th or is it an older photo and the Concorde has since been moved?
"I never apologize! I am sorry, but that's the way it is!" - Homer Simpson

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Why Is The Concorde Next To A Runway At LHR?

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:13 pm

It will be showcased in Terminal 5 after completion of works.
During happier times :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

donder10

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:18 pm

It's still there and has been for several months.

is that Rwy 22??
Nope but close,it's rwy23 which is now a full time taxiway.

SafetyDude

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Here is some info about Concorde at LHR: http://www.concordesst.com/latestnews_03_9.html.

You might also be interested to know that Concorde is not addressed as "the" or "a", as it is a proper noun. (Using an article for Concorde is the same as saying, "I spoke to the Joe who told me that the Jane is getting married to the Adam."  Big grin)

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

ossprey

Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:38 pm

I remember happy times when I sat next to the Concord lounge(LHR) and watched her climb into the sky and shake the building. May she fly forever in our hearts.
I love the touch of aluminum in the morning. Walk arounds in the snow pumping out floats polishing aluminum by hand!!NOT

xjramper

Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:43 am

I think that a bunch of us A.netters went out and relocated it from the museum to there so everybody will remember it...oh wait...i wasnt supposed to tell...

XJR
Look ma' no hands!