deltairlines

Iceland

Mon Feb 21, 2000 12:11 am

I just have a few questions about Iceland:

1.) Why do so few airlines serve it (SAS, Icelandair, Air Atlantic, Air Iceland, Islandsflug and Cargoflux)?
2.) Why doesn't any U.S. Airlines serve it? Airlines could use 757/767-200 on these flights at peak times? Iceland seems like a nice vacation spot.

Jeff

Tg 747-300

RE: Iceland

Mon Feb 21, 2000 12:16 am

As far as i know SAS didn't fly there, but they have a codeshare with Icelandair?

Thanks for asking this question, I was thinking bout doig the same when you posted your

tg 747-300
intentionally left blank

Mon Feb 21, 2000 12:37 am

As far as I know some charter airlines fly to Iceland (LTU or Condor, can't remember).

Furthermore, Go is soon going to put Iceland on its list of destinations. Isn't that wonderful? So for British and European travellers, Iceland is definitely on the list of cheaply accessible destinations.

But for Americans.... I don't know why no one flies you there.

PS: Didn't Canada 3000 use to have a fuel stop in Keflavik when they still used their 757s on the Atlantic crossing routes? Were people allowed to book flights to Keflavik only (without reboarding)?

Mon Feb 21, 2000 12:42 am

I can only think more airlines don't fly there becaus it's a very small market. Icelandair are only a success because of their skillfully marketed "Mid-Atlantic Hub" Keflavik is in a perfect position for Europe-USA connections, as you never need backtrack like you would if you flew BOS-JFK-GLA for example.

Many of Icelandair's passengers don't go to Iceland, they simply change planes and fly on to Europe/USA. Other airlines couldn't operate a hub in Iceland so this market has relatively little to interest them. Icelandair have a very modern fleet and good service - add that to almost total market dominance - you can see why airlines would focus on other larger markets that would be easier to enter!

James 

jb

Mon Feb 21, 2000 1:21 am

Icelands population is only around 240 000 people. So there you have the answer to your question.

deltairlines

Mon Feb 21, 2000 4:43 am

First to Tg747-300:
KEF's official site said that SAS flew there. It might have changed.

I find it great though that GO is adding Iceland to its list.

To get to Iceland, you can fly Icelandair, with flights to BOS, JFK, BWI, MSP, and 2 other cities.

Jeff