kbuf737

On Board Closets

Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:36 am

After recently reading the thread regarding the removal of some closet space on the AS fleet, I was wondering how often closets are even used on a/c. In fact I don't even notice whether or not there are closets on board when I am enplaning. Are they still manufacturted, and other than the winter coat or baby stroller, do they serve a useful purpose?
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

JPDX

RE: On Board Closets

Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:52 am

As a FA I've seen the closets used to store:

Coats and jackets
Passenger wheelchair stowage
Plants
Fishing poles
Oversized bags
Garbage (thrown there by a pax)
Baby stroller
Snacks (rear closet)
Frozen fish
Cat (found it there in the carrier before t/o...that was a fun announcement to make asking who placed the cat in the closet!)

...that's all I can think of for now

Venezuela747

Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:07 pm

I have wondered the same thing because sometime my dad or I have to travel and dress nicely but we just stick it in the luggage and get it pressed at the Hotel. What airlines provide this service? Is it just for first class?
ROLL TIDE!!!

PER744

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:22 pm

I've used the on-board closet for a hanging garment bag quite a few times. I've travelled interstate for interviews and appointments that are just one or 2 day trips, much easier to take a back and a suit in a garment bag rather than a large bag or having to get it pressed when you arrive.

I've also had F/A's take my jacket or coat for me and hang it.

LRGT

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:28 pm

They are a waste of space!!! You can put a stroller and anything else mentioned above in an overhead bin (and if not send it below deck). How much more revenue would the airlines have raked in over the last 30 years if they were not there??? Does anyone want to calculate.
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!

airbus3801

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:47 pm

The flight attendents on m flight from PHX-LHR for the World Irish Dancing Competition Big grin put my clothes up in the first class closet (and I got to go with them and see the cabin). I have not had anyone else offer to take my clothes when I go to other Irish Dancing competitions. My most recent to Nationals in Phily, HP got mad that I had broght it aboard.

maiznblu_757

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:48 pm

I have a homemade monopod that was to large for my suitcase that I stowed in the closet on a recent trip.

LRGT

Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:59 pm

Why couldn't the monopod go in the overhead bin?? You yuppie!

...just kidding...if it was an older a/c with small overhead bins it would have had to be gate checked if there was no closet. Is avoiding having to do that once in a while really worth eliminating a row of 6-seats?
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!