Beirut - Sao Paolo.

Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:56 am

MEA and TAM airlines will be transporting passengers from Beirut to Sao paolo and vice versa via Paris starting Aug. 17.

Middle East Airlines CEO El Hout has announced this in a press conference yesterday.

More information to come.
I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth

RE: Beirut - Sao Paolo.

Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:59 am

That is true. He actually told us before his press conference  Smile

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:17 am

will ME be placed on TAM route and vice versa? or they operate a direct flight with 1 stop?
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:29 am

Good question, but I doubt TAM would fly to Beirut via Paris. They don't consider opening new route(s) any sooner.
TAM already flies to CDG from GRU, so does MEA from BEY, therefore I don't think this is more than a code-shared flights' agreement.
In the present days there is no sufficient demand to justify a direct flight between Lebanon and South America. Maybe this is the first step to make apply for such route within some years.

Maybe JJMNGR can help us.
Varig, Varig, Varig

Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:47 am

We know that this agreement was near to be implememented but internally we did not receive too much information yet how it will work. Seems that TAM will fly CDG/BEY....but I prefer to get internal confirmation and than will return to you guys.
What we know more is what is written on the newspapers in general. I am in BUE now and will be back to Headquarter next monday and try to get more info to post.

RE: Beirut - São Paulo.

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:08 am

It's too odd for me that TAM doesn't fly routes like JFK, LAX, LON, MAD, fRA, LIS, NRT or AMS, in which they would have greater probability to get profit, yet they are starting to fly to middle east?  Confused

Would JJ have traffic rights from CDG? (probably yes)

Isn't GRU-CDG segment having good load factors or will they increase capacity/frequencies?

Okay... Too strange, yet amazing!!! TAM at BEY  Wow! Wow! Wow!

anywayz... Ahla wa Sahla bik fi Beirut, TAM!!!  Big thumbs up
Varig, Varig, Varig

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:14 am

I'm a bit lost hear, will TAM continue their CDG flights to BEY or will MEA and TAM c/s on their respective fl;ights to Paris?

Anyhow this is great news for Lebanon and Brazil. Considering their are nearly 10 million Lebanese people in Brazil, this is a long overdue move.

Good Luck to MEA and TAM!

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:11 pm

There is no codeshare agreement nor JJ (TAM) is coming to BEY at this time. A close cooperation is signed so that passengers from ME and JJ will be transferred to the othre airline via CDG, like an interline agreement.

The ME CEO says that both airlines will benefit, the connection times are around 1.5-2 hours at CDG and use the same terminal.

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:36 am

...and what about the coopeartion between ME and AF ? The French are loosers here !!!

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:43 am

JJMNGR: se voce está em Buenos Aires, pode me contatar pelo email buerob@hotmail.com?

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:46 am

The AF/ME cooperation will continue as normal. TAM will just offer additional options and flexibility for ME), Brazil">MEA passengers and vice versa.

Getting back to the topic. While there are 8 million Lebanese in Brazil, almost all of them are 3rd and 4th generation citizens and know very little about Lebanon and don't even know Arabic. Most lost contact with Lebanon.

This is what Mohammad El-Hout said when we met him on Tuesday. He said there simply isn't enough demand and that there are convenient connections through Paris and at competitive prices.

He did state however that flights to North America would be profitable and a wise choice in the coming few years, but politics are hindering them from happening.

Regarding Sydney, he said there is too much competition from the very subsidized airlines of the gulf such as Emirates and Qatar Airways.

They offer such cheap flights that ME), Brazil">MEA can no way match or undercut those prices. He basically called it unfair competition in which ME), Brazil">MEA is at the lower end, and he's right...

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran