burg400

Aerosol Cans In Luggage? Safe?

Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:36 am

Am I correct in assuming that these come under the prohibited items but how many people actually comply? People I have spoken to insist they will be taking there regular deodorant spray with them and they will be putting in their hold luggage as they do every flight.
Is it dangerous or are items such as Lighter refills and portable cooker canisters just a threat.

I've looked to see if this has been raised before but found nothing under aerosol.
Golf " A good walk Wasted" not the way I play

freshlove1

RE: Aerosol Cans In Luggage? Safe?

Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:40 am

Yes they are safe, the most that would happen is it would spring a leak from the pressure and get the contents of your luggage wet. I had this happen with a can of shaving cream not to long ago.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:45 am

Freon is safe for the aircraft. The Ozone layer is another matter...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ltbewr

Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:15 am

Only those aerosol cans that contain personal care products (deodorant, shaving cream, some hair sparys) are allowed in any luggage as far as I know. 'Canned air' (for cleaning electronics) may be allowed too, but may be a judgment call. Many airlines, especially BA, seem to make it very clear as to what can be in luggage as to products in cans.

burg400

Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:21 am

I've always assumed that seeing as the cans are under pressure that on occassion they could pop.
Golf " A good walk Wasted" not the way I play

SafetyDude

Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:24 am

Many spray cans no longer contain harmful CFCs. There was an episode of either Airline or Airport where a kid wanted to bring a basketball on board, but they were not sure if it would pop. In the end, the kid was able to bring it along.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Klaus

Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:27 am

The cargo/luggage hold is pressurized like the cabin is. So the additional pressure difference at altitude isn´t really all that big.

ha763

Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:56 am

IIRC, the limit for personal use aerosol items is 32 fluid ounces per pax, with individual containers being able to hold a maximum of 16 fluid ounces. Anything more falls under hazmat regs.

uswyjer

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:18 am

Yeah most if not all types of aerosol cans are safe, as said size is a different matter. Coming back from Tucson on vacation this year my mom was stopped at security when they saw the shape of the can in the xray of her bag. The screener wasn't sure of the size limitations so a supervisor was called over, and he said that anything up to 32oz is okay; mind you this was a can of Glade, not exactly a necessity Smile ...well to some people.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos