ual747den

Engine Cowling Falls Off Of AirTran Flight operated by Ryanair Int

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:19 am

An A320 operated by Ryan Air lost the cowling and had to return to ATL on 7/12/04. Police in Union City later found the part.

Does this happen often???
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:26 am

Not often but it does happen. There was a long topic a few months back in Tech Ops.

As I remember the discussion, the A32x engine cowlings (don't know if it applies to all versions) have a latch design whereby you cannot visually check if they are locked. You have to actually press or something. So it's easy to assume they are locked even though the checklist says feel them up.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:26 am

I do not think that it happens often - or at least it I hope not.  Big grin

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:27 am

Forgot to mention it's not really dangerous normally. Just annoying. There was an article about a Cargo DC-8 in Micronesia or somewhere that lost a cowling. The only thing the crew noticed was that the engine was running slightly cooler than usual.  Big grin

[Edited 2004-07-23 23:32:06]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

bristolflyer

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:31 am

It happened a few yrs ago, a cowl fell off a 747 engine departing out of LAX and it landed on the beach (the cowl, not the plane!).

At least someone would have got a good windbreak!

BF
Fortune favours the brave

PHX Flyer

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:38 am

<< Forgot to mention it's not really dangerous normally.>>

Yeah, you had better forgotten about it, because it's BS!
The cowling can hit the vertical stabilizer and destroy the rudder in the process. This is dangerous, especially during take-off.

AI has been offering an upgrade kit for the cowlings for several years now, which - if installed - prevents the cowling from fully closing unless they are properly latched. This makes it easier to spot an open one just by visual inspection.

JeffDCA

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:38 am

Wasn't a CFM-56 engine by any chance was it? They're renowned for this on the A320's.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:39 am

PHX Flyer. I misspoke. I meant it's normally not a problem. Of course it can be dangerous...

BR715-A1-30

Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:52 am

It was a V2527-A5 engine. The topic needs to be changed to ENGINE COWLING FALLS OFF OF AIRTRAN FLIGHT OPERATED BY RYAN INTERNATIONAL.
Puhdiddle

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:21 am

"Falls off"?. My hope is that it was wrenched off by airflow or that plane was flying waaaaay too slow  Big grin

MD11LuxuryLinr

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:24 am

~"The topic needs to be changed to ENGINE COWLING FALLS OFF OF AIRTRAN FLIGHT OPERATED BY RYAN INTERNATIONAL"~

I know.. God forbid we accidentally incriminate the 717 or the BR715..  Insane
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

elwood64151

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:25 am

We're forgetting about the possibility of engine cowlings falling on unsuspecting people, houses, vehicles, etc...

This is a potentially dangerous situation!
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

Cpt Underpants

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:32 am

Actually, it's the A320 / IAE V2500 combination that's had the majority of these incidents. The modification does help a great deal, but many older machines have not been modified. And to say it's not normally a problem is ridiculous. In the past, cowl loss incidents have resulted in tail damage, leading edge slat damage, fuel tank rupture, a hole in a fuselage and even an engine that refused to go out of idle because the aircraft thought a reverser had deployed!

PHLapproach

Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:27 am

How heavy is a cowling for a V2527-A5?

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:31 am

This is dangerous, especially during take-off.
If a plane is taking off (heading up), and the cowling falls off, it is going to fall down or at a little bit of an angle, and should miss hitting any part of the plane.

The topic needs to be changed to ENGINE COWLING FALLS OFF OF AIRTRAN FLIGHT OPERATED BY RYAN INTERNATIONAL.
It was an AirTran flight, and AirTran takes legal (I believe) responsibilities of the aircraft.

While I must say I am impressed (seriously, no joke) with your accuracy, I suggest you head on over to Site Related to this post (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/site_related/read.main/23676/) and see if you can show support for a grammatically accurate a.net.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

JBirdAV8r

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:36 am

even though the checklist says feel them up.

There's a CHECKLIST for that kind of stuff??  Nuts  Big thumbs up

If a plane is taking off (heading up), and the cowling falls off, it is going to fall down or at a little bit of an angle, and should miss hitting any part of the plane.

Incorrect. It has more to do with angle of attack, "aerodynamics" of the part, weight, airspeed, etc. It could definitely hit parts of the airplane.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

srbmod

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:26 pm

The topic needs to be changed to ENGINE COWLING FALLS OFF OF AIRTRAN FLIGHT OPERATED BY RYAN INTERNATIONAL.
It was an AirTran flight, and AirTran takes legal (I believe) responsibilities of the aircraft.

No, that would be Ryan International, the operator of the a/c; the flight is operated on the behalf of AirTran, is booked through AirTran, but the flight is in reality a Ryan Int'l flight, not an AirTran flight. The AirTran/Ryan Int'l contract is an ACMI (Aircraft, Crew, Maintenance, Insurance) leasing arrangement, so anything that happens to that a/c while operating for AirTran falls back on Ryan Int'l not AirTran.

JeffDCA

Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:06 pm

Incorrect. Just take a look at the following photo, notice the engine cowling has seperated and caused damage to the fin.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © José Ramón Valero - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

Jetmek319

Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:25 pm

As I remember the discussion, the A32x engine cowlings (don't know if it applies to all versions) have a latch design whereby you cannot visually check if they are locked. You have to actually press or something. So it's easy to assume they are locked even though the checklist says feel them up.

***Actually the cowl latches are painted a contrasting color, usually day-glo orange (except on easyJet), and are easily verified via visual inspection. There is a way, however, to latch them 'together' prior the cowling being closed. Though as mentioned before, the cowling doesn't close correctly.***
Never, ever moon a werewolf !!

BR715-A1-30

Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:22 am

MD11LuxuryLinr,

Hey, when it happens, it happens. The way people are talking to me about those 717s, I wouldn't blink  Sad
Puhdiddle

ua777222

Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:24 am

Has anyone seen that IB A320? If it's out of service for that long then why hasn't this issue been fixed or at least resolved? When an incodent like this happens does the airline pay the bill b/c they forgot to latch the thingie or does Airbus pay b/c they were the idiots that put it there to begin with? I guess that's what you sign up for when you buy the a/c!

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

Midway2AirTran

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:37 am

Whenever outside from now on, I will now watch out for engine cowlings falling from the sky  Wink/being sarcastic
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."