Skywatcher
Topic Author

Solid Canadian Airtraffic Growth

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:13 pm

So far in 2004 airport passenger traffic growth in Canada has been nothing short of stunning.

The available figures so far (according to airport websites and ACI statistics) are;

YUL +19% (to May)
YVR +11% (to Apr.)
YYZ +11% (to Apr.)
YWG +10% (to Apr.)
YEG +8% (to Jun.)
YYC +6% (to Apr.)

Good solid growth all around, particularly in YUL of all places.

sebring

RE: Solid Canadian Airtraffic Growth

Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:25 am

Yes, but there would be bounceback from last year's SARS and Gulf War impact. Perhaps it is just that things are returning to semi-normal. Overseas travel to Canada - not just Toronto - was impacted by SARS.

caribb

Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:30 am

In Montreal's case we are just returning to near where we were before 9/11. Air Canada has also pushed a lot of that growth but there is a sense that airport is much busier than in the past. Good to see for all the cities listed.

captaingomes

Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:48 am

Excellent news overall. Hopefully sanity will prevail in the industry in Canada, and hopefully the Feds will learn to be less greedy with their atrocious tax levels, which would further benefit the airline industry. Let's face it, it has been difficult I'm sure for the airlines to compete against the heavily subsidized rail industry on short-haul and regional routes.

I also hope that YUL's strong growth will attract more business from the LCC's in Canada, which up until now have not paid as much attention to YUL as perhaps they could have?
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

tristar2000

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:02 am

Do the Montreal stats include YMX...

If not, they are bound to increase again with the charter transfer (Air Transat + Skyservice) from YMX to YUL later this year.

That new Air Transat maintenance base is nicely in the works, isn't it.

In Montreal's case we are just returning to near where we were before 9/11

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that pretty much the case everywhere, and don't forget even though SARS hit all of Canada, the most damage was done in the Queen City of Toronto!!

Regards,
Steven  Smile

kdonohue

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:12 am

Air travel could be much higher if the fees and taxes weren't so high. My wife and I were considering visiting friends in Calgary, but two tickets all inclusive from YVR is about $600, so instead of flying, we are considering driving. It will obviously take us longer, but it will be cheaper. All of the taxes and fees really destimulate air travel.

Skywatcher
Topic Author

Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:47 am

The YUL figures inlude both YUL as well as what little is left at YMX.

I recently took a VIA rail train from Moncton to Montreal. As much as I hate the subsidies I realize that the few remaining trains are vital to the rural areas and smaller towns that are still served.They are a remnant of the service that once existed and offer only a very small amount of competition to the airlines.

The security fee really is unfair though. Any security costs should come out of general government revenues, just like customs services.

Of all the "cash cows" in Canadian aviation taxation/user fees, the security charge is the most appalling IMHO.

caribb

Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:03 am

Tristar2000 - you're probably right but I was only speaking about Montreal which is the only city I really know much about in terms of growth or decline.

DYK

Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:46 am

Things are looking up for Canada but I think feds should not only lighten up on the tax front but lighten up on being so restrictive towards giving access to foreign carriers into Canadian cities other than Toronto and Montreal. I think potentially YVR is in a position for some outstanding growth if the Feds wake up and revamp their draconian Canada Transportation Act.
AC,CP,PW,WD,ND,UA,AA,NW,CO,DL,WA,AS,QX,PR,SQ,AI,TG,MH,JL,9W,IC,UL,PG,BW,NZ,QF,DJ,BA,LH,KL,OA,OS,ME,RJ,HA,AQ