maiznblu_757

Scheduled Flights Routing To Look At "Scenery"

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:30 pm

This happens all the time at Traverse City. An airliner will take off, and request a turn out the long way, to the north, to fly over the city to get a view and continue on its route. I have even seen Northwest DC9's take off VFR, do a complete circle around to the north, line up with the runway (28) at about 4000ft, and then contact Minneapolis Center as if he just departed.

Has anyone else seen this happen at other airports? What are airlines rules for such things.

The average pax might think its normal, so they probably are not even thinking about it... Even if they miss their flights by a couple minutes, I am sure they will not pinpoint the reason on the scenic overfly. lol..

Danny

RE: Scheduled Flights Routing To Look At "Scenery"

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:39 pm

It frequently happens on flights to/from BUF. Yesterday Independece flight to IAD asked for it. 4000ft and two circles over Niagara Falls then climb 10000ft proceed on course to IAD  Big grin Also Comair pilots often ask to go over the Falls.

Flights to ORD go over anyway because of the routing

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Daniel

JeffDCA

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:29 am

I've heard of Qantas flights descending over Ayers Rock to give the passengers a closer look.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

SIunitsrule

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:45 am

I have had that happen on IB 6146 (PTY-MIA). The captain will usually do an aerial tour of the Panama Canal. According to this picture's caption, Delta does the same on its way to ATL.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Poowin Bunyavejchewin

Everything is relative, so be mindful of your references...

andz

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:13 am

It has happened on flights into Cape Town too, sometimes you see the flights coming in, usually foreign carriers, on routes that the domestic flights never take.

Like this for example, I have flown in and out of CPT countless times and never this way!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vivian A Watts

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

trickijedi

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:27 am

Requests like these won't fly at ORD. Too busy.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

FLY777UAL

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:31 am

And what would one want to fly over by ORD? Cabrini Green?  Big grin

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

DeltaMIA

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:35 am

Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam for flights into LAS and Yosemite National park for flights into SFO and OAK.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:50 am

In the early 80's, SAS LAX-CPH. Think it was good old "Huge Viking", the 742. Crew took us down lower over Greenland to look at the amazing scenery.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flyingnanook

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:50 am

Once when flying FAI-ANC with AS, we were making really good time en route and it was an abnormally clear day, so when we passed over Denali (or Mt McKinley, whichever you prefer) the pilot slowed down so we could see it better. It was gorgeous.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

muttley35

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:02 am

Wife once did a 'lap' of Mt Hood whilst on a trip to her parents.
I just get the rapid can't hear s**t for an hour decent into PDX.

Kohflot

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:09 am

I was on a Qantas flight from BKK to SYD in 1993, and while I don't think we descended at all, we did circle completely around Uluru (Ayers Rock). That was quite a sight..
Ask why..

FLYGRA

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:31 am

On quite a few occasions on QF out of SYD to BKK or SIN we have gone down to take a look at The Olgas and Uluru. Gets pretty bumpy sometimes.

Also on ET, the pilots often try to have a turn around Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

CaptSkibi

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:20 am

I was on a flight, perhaps charter, with my family from Cancun to Detroit about 10 years ago. It was a night flight back to Detroit. I think it was a B727.

The pilot came over the intercom, somewhere over Tennessee or Kentucky, to say that he had a spectacular view of the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). He said he'd request a few turns from ATC to let us in the back take a look. It was very spectacular!
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

worldoftui

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:02 am

JeffDCA

Yes they do. Whilst staying at the Ayers Rock Resort, saw many a flight take off and stay lowish, head towards the rock and then turn and continue to their destination.

When I was working in Croatia, once the inbound aircraft flew straight past the airport and gave the passengers a 20 minute free pleasure ride taking in the coast. How lucky!

Mark

rongotai

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:04 am

It is quite common for Air NZ Link flights in and out of NPL to do a complete 360 degrees around the summit of Mount Taranaki (Egmont) - when the weather is clear and calm!

maiznblu_757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:16 am

Requests like these won't fly at ORD. Too busy

And what would one want to fly over by ORD? Cabrini Green?

Yea, not much scenery in Chicago anyhoo...  Big grin

matt777

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:39 am

At IGR (Iguazu, Argentina) normally they do one circle on take-off in order to see the beautifull waterfalls.
I recall one circle over Venice, Italy, but it was before 911.

trickijedi

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:12 am

Hey, Cabrini Green is a sight to see.

Well at least your safe from up there.  Wink/being sarcastic
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

FlyMeToTheMoon

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:23 am

Cabrini Green is a sight to see but only from the air... Although if you fly low you may risk catching some stray projectiles.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

litz

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:52 am

Been on a DL 757 heading from ONT back to ATL, and we circled the Grand Canyon about 4 times ... twice for the people on the left side of the plane, and twice for the people on the right side of the plane.

Pilot specifically mentioned that we'd be circling so everyone could get a good look.

- litz

AJet

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:55 am

Yes Matt777! On my flight from Iguazu to Buenos Aires in May 2003, the pilot did a 360 around the falls; that was awesome!

maiznblu_757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:11 am

Been on a DL 757 heading from ONT back to ATL, and we circled the Grand Canyon about 4 times ... twice for the people on the left side of the plane, and twice for the people on the right side of the plane.

Pilot specifically mentioned that we'd be circling so everyone could get a good look.

Maybe center had you do it for in trail spacing, and you were close enough to the Grand Canyon that the pilot opted to give you guys a view. Seems strange that they would do it mid-flight.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:54 am

"Once when flying FAI-ANC with AS, we were making really good time en route and it was an abnormally clear day, so when we passed over Denali (or Mt McKinley, whichever you prefer) the pilot slowed down so we could see it better. It was gorgeous. "

Ive had the exact same with AS... the pilot (and I remember every word...
"Although the fasten seatbelt sign is turned on, we will shortly be going very close past Mount McKinley, so if you were to be sat on the right hand side of the aircraft you will be an excellant view"...moments later lots of snapping of seat belts and every right window seat was gone... I got a superb photograph of Mt Mckinley looking so close as if the wing was touching the side of it... a great view and something i'll never forget.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:57 am

LHR or LCY airports...

Who would have thought they would have built the runways so that hundreds of flights a day get a landing or a takeoff view of the city  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

and if you don't see the queens home (Buckingham Palace) on the way over the city, you get to see one of her other residencies off the other end of the runway (Windsor Castle)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

Kennedy1

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:28 pm

While leaving Cancun on a Champion Air 727 last summer the pilot came on and told us that he was going to try to swing us around to so we could see the Hotel Zone from the air on our departure. I'm not sure how far out of our way this way, because some days all traffic would fly directly over the beaches and on other days we wouldn't see any jets from the beach.

In Destin Florida, bizjets fly over the beach all day. Obviously they're not as restricted as a commercial carrier, but it is pretty neat to see a GV flying a low pass. The coastgaurd also few a small jet (maybe a Falcon of some sort?) over the beach nearly day at only a few hundred feet. Quite a sight to see.

cx346

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:44 pm

Cathay Pacific sometimes points out the lights of Hong Kong on evening arrivals and departures, but I never checked if they actually alter the routing for that.

spacecadet

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:08 pm

I really don't think this idea would fly with most US carriers these days (no pun intended). Fuel costs being what they are right now and all.

As for lateness, I doubt it really makes a difference - if you can afford to waste fuel on sight-seeing, you can afford to waste some more making up the time. 5-10 minutes extra can easily be made up in flight.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:54 pm

I was on a QF flight from SIN-SYD-AKL (it was either that or an SQ flight fron SIN-AKL). Anyway the captain mentioned Ayers Rock. I was unsure if we descended because it seemd quite far away, definately not 4000 feet. It was a clear day and you could have seen it if seated at the window.
Nice View.