767Lover
Topic Author

Is EasyJet A Reliable Choice?

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:00 am

I'm from the US so I don't have any experience with or knowledge of EasyJet. Am looking to book with them for some intra-Europe travel this fall.

Is this a reliable choice in terms of flights being on schedule, not constantly cancelled, etc?

Have you had any problems booking online with them?

My trip would involve a connection (need to get from AMS to Prague and back) so I want to make sure I don't get stuck enroute.

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

globetrekker

RE: Is EasyJet A Reliable Choice?

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:17 am

I have never had problems with easyJet or easyJet Switzerland. As long as you realize they are a low cost carrier and the certain restrictions that comes with that, I see no problems.
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

SafetyDude

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:19 am

I think that this should go into Polls and Prefs.

I flew with EasyJet and they were fine. "Airline UK" might give you a good idea about some of the problems with them, but normally, they are fine. If EasyJet is much cheaper than another airline, definitely take EasyJet, but otherwise, I would consider that other airline. Also, in the event that something goes wrong with your connection, you might want to make sure that there is a later flight.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

muttley35

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:34 am

Never flown with them but as safetydude says they along with Britania are the subject of a show called Airline and from what I have seen they are no worse/better than anyone else.

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:42 am

Speaking of EasyJet...i just saw my first episode of AirlineUK (i don't have cable in Indianapolis where i live and am in Seattle now for the exam so i have cable at the hotel  Smile and i noticed that on the episode just shown they had a guy (who was being a complete a$$hole) smoking and then just dropping his cigarette on the ground and smashing it..do they actually allow that?? BTW..it looks like the employees of EasyJet are more nicer than many of the airline employees in the US  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

geoffm

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:46 am

But bear in mind programmes like Airline will only ever show their worst side (makes for good viewing).

You shouldn't try connecting flights into or out of, or between, easyJet flights. If you have to, allow at *least* 2 hours between flights. easyJet don't do through ticketing, even between easyJet flights so you'll need to check in again when you connect (then security etc).

I've never had any real problems with them. All bar one flight has been within 30 minutes of on time, service on board is friendly, fares are cheap, what more could you want?

Snacks and drinks are available on board for purchase. Seating is first-come-first-served, although you board in sections based on your check-in position - ie check in earlier to be in the first section.

Geoff M.

kl911

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:54 am

If you want good service and no delays, go for Ryanair! I've never had any problems with them and always good service, arriving normally 20 min early as well. ( And no I don't work for them........) Besides the reasons given above, most of the time you save loads when flying FR, just book about 2 months in advance, but that shouldn't be a problem.........( book a flight for 0.99 cent, and when you cannot fly that day you loose 0.99 cent, that's all.) They have to refund tax since the new european law was adopted.

KL911

RJ100

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:00 am

Just flown on easyJet Basel-Berlin-Basel yesterday. Whenever you can choose easyJet, try them! Yesterday's flight was operated by a brandnew A319, less than 4 months old!! They were cheap, efficient, safe, friendly, on time and relaxed.

Enjoy your trip and regards,
RJ100
none

gilesdavies

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:52 am

easyJet are excellent as a point to point airline and usually get you to where you want without a problem.

As the airline operates with a 25min turnaround delays can occur and especially on the evening flights as they struggle to make up time.

Please bare in mind you have no seat allocation and it can sometimes be a bit of a stampede to the aircraft, depending on if the airport in question doesn't operate a boarding system based upon when you checked-in. For Example 1-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91-120 and 121+.

The seat pitch is not as generous as the US Low Costs and usually only offers a 29-30inch seat pitch.

If the airline was to cancel a flight they wont offer compensation or hotel accommodation and are only obliged to give you a refund or place you on another flight. This is extremely rare and applies to all UK low cost airlines not just easyJet.

Another point - they are very strict with check-in times and if you are late they wont board you and if your responsibility to pay to travel on a later flight. Even if the flight has not departed and you have no checked luggage.

All you need to remember is 27million people travel with them a year and the vast majority without any problems. You pay for what you get and ensure your travel insurance covers you for the above eventualities.

Tristar100

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:56 am

Hi 767lover,

Ignore the "fly on the wall" programmes such as "Airline". If they were doing the same filming with Rolls Royce cars they would still only show the bad things happening, which is what makes people watch and increase their viewing figures, i.e a drunk prat shouting at check-in staff because they made him sit for hours in the bar getting sozzled and forced him to drink more than he can handle, so much that he missed his check-in. Then when he is turned away - guess what? Its Easyjets fault. Then he sees his two minutes of fame and starts to play to the cameras.

I have flown many times with Easyjet and been delayed once due to a blow-out in Paris. If you understand they are a budget airline with no on board free service (coffee is approx £1.50) and you sometimes have to fight for a window seat then you will be OK. The cabin crew are down to earth and I cant find any fault with their attitude to the passengers.

Have a good trip, if you need transport around LIV and MAN when you are here just E-mail me.

Steve.

wgw2707

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:11 am

I would reccommend avoiding all European LCCs for intra-European travel. From my own experience on Bmibaby, the service provided is much less than the service provided by American LCCs-you have to pay for sodas, water, anything extra...

For intra European travel my own reccommendation would be that you get a Eurailpass valid for the length of your stay. These enable you to travel first class on any train in the countries your pass is valid for. They have several options: the Eurail Select Pass, in which you choose from a list of countries, the Europass, which covers the most touristy places, and the full Eurailpass, which includes every Western European country except Great Britain, and also Hungary and Greece. The only disadvantage of Eurailpass travel is that the passes are not valid on the British railways, but then again you're quite possibly better off travelling by another mode of transport in the UK anyway...

-WGW2707

Tristar100

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:23 am

WGW2707 - Is that a dig at our great railway? When has one of our trains been late, broke down and given poor service? Come on tell me!!!

I'm waiting?

Still waiting?

Thats right, not enough room to post the reply!

Cheers, Steve.

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:25 am

What would be a good london airport to fly into from the US and catch one ofthe low fare european carriers such as easy jet? I am starting to plan a trip to Europe and would like to try some of the low fare airlines over there  Smile

Tristar100

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:35 am

Gatwick has a good variety of easyjet going to AMS etc.....

LHR then a connecting bus or one of our great historic trains up to Stansted for Easyjet and Ryanair. Or, Luton for the same carriers. Stansted is the best for variety of low-cost to Europe. Be careful though their airports are not always the ones you think they are, i.e Hahn, 45 mins from Frankfurt Main. Stockholm approx 70 miles from Stockholm. Please check before you travel.

BMI Baby flies from East Midlands, Manchester and soon Birmingham.

Cheers buddy, Steve.

gilesdavies

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:36 am

Gatwick is really your only option for easyJet flights as the other major London airports for LCC is Stansted and Luton which are both airports operating within Europe.

You will have a wider choice of flights with LCC from Luton which is easyJet's main hub and Stansted for Ryanair's main UK hub.

If you fly to Gatwick and need to get to Luton for a flight to Europe it is very straight forward as there is direct trains from Gatwick to Luton Airport which takes about 1hr and travels right through Central London without changing trains.

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:39 am

what are they prices like on Easy Jet? I have never been to Europe so i am trying to learn as much as possible before going..which i am hoping will be this fall  Smile

Rick767

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:43 am

Haha, UK railways - what a joke. Glad I don't get to work (or not!) at their mercy anymore... driving or flying to work is the way forward in the UK.

For an impartial view on punctuality, check out:

Official easyJet Punctuality

Or any UK carrier you wish at flightontime.info
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

gilesdavies

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:47 am

Here is an excellent site for you to check out...

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/flights/FlightFinderStep1.asp - The Travel Supermarket.

What you do is type in where and when you want to travel (only works for UK originating flights) and the dates. Will then search loads of website on your behalf and return the prices of all the searches. You can search from three UK airports to the same destination and compare them all.

It's free of charge and when you click on the airline in question that offers the cheapest flight it will take you to there website.

geoffm

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:48 am

Nothing wrong with our train service when one particular train in the USA has been running 45+ hours late recently...

You can buy rail passes for the UK too. Much cheaper for foreigners than it is for the locals.

You'll see from other threads that there are two schools of thought:
1. Europeans who use LCCs a lot and are generally happy with them
2. Americans who have never, or only a couple of times, used LCCs, compare it to JetBlue or Southwest, and don't like what they see (or think they might see, for those who express opinions without experience).

Sorry to generalise you Americans like that, but that has been the predominant feeling behind your compatriot's postings here on a.net. Perhaps only the peeved post and the happy stay silent, who knows? Anyway, I'm off to don my flameproof jacket.

Geoff M.

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:50 am

Cool...i look forward to finally getting out of the US and exploring the rest of the world...is there a city i could fly to on easy jet that has hiking, etc.??

SafetyDude

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:54 am

Never flown with them but as safetydude says they along with Britania
I believe that only EasyJet is on "Airline UK".

Do keep in mind that while "Airline UK" does show extreme examples, they are examples, and could very well happen to you. While Southwest could also have the same examples, the extremes shown on "Airline" are not as near as "Airline UK".

That being said, I would probably agree not to do connecting flights, unless their is a huge price difference.

Smile
-Will

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:58 am

I just watched that episode of airline UK and the Easy Jet reps seemed to handle the idiot very well..i have to give them the credit!

gilesdavies

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:58 am

How about... Inverness in the Scottish Highlands or how about the Swiss Alps try Geneva.

That is the tip of the Iceburg - suggest you check their website out on their destinations, frequencies and cost.

muttley35

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:30 am

Not sure about Airline UK (the US version) but take it from me Britania are on Airline over here, maybe we are weeks/months ahead with the scheduling ?

L410Turbolet

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:54 am

Cool...i look forward to finally getting out of the US and exploring the rest of the world...is there a city i could fly to on easy jet that has hiking, etc.??

7e7,
fly to Barcelona and do some trekking in Pyrenees, or Ljubljana for Alps or perhaps Krakow for High Tatras.

gkirk

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:03 am

Airlines that have featured on Airline in the UK are: easyJet, Britannia, and Monarch (1 series only though I think).
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

by188b

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:19 am

in my experience Easyjet are a reliable choice. For price comparison check outhttp://www.skyscanner.net

[Edited 2004-07-26 01:24:04]
next flights : BD LHR-TXL J, FR SXF-STN Y, SN BRU-LHR Y, MA LHR-BUD Y, BA BUD-LHR J, BA LCY-SNN-JFK J, BA JFK-LHR J, BA

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:13 am

I hope i can find a good airfare from the US...

767Lover
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:17 am

Thanks for the responses...and the skyscanner.net info, By188b!

Pe@rson

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:21 am

I've flown U2 numerous times and have never had any problem whatever, so I suspect that you will, like me and the vast majority of its consumers, have an uneventful trip.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:23 am

What would be the cheapest time to fly to london? I have been trying to find airfares and they are not that cheap at all...i was looking to go sometime in october or november.

whitehatter

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:32 am

Easyjet, BMIBaby and (yes!) Ryanair are all good to fly with if you have flown Southwest and like what they do and how they do it.

Remember that the mainlines are also pretty cheap at times! BMi mainline in particular are often very good with their fares, as are British Airways.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/planandbook/findthelowestfares.aspx
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/lowfares/public/en_gb

I just booked some BMi tickets ten days in advance on the MAN-LHR service and got a choice of flight times for £8 each way plus taxes, which ended up at £50 return. The train was more expensive, although this does mean my first ever trip on an A320. BA are equally as competitive.

If you fly into MAN, you can get a train from the terminal into the Lake District which takes about two hours and is some of the best hiking in the world.
http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/
http://www.lake-district.com/
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

BAxMAN

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:36 am

Easyjet are a decent airline and very brave for taking part in Airline! They at least don't abandon customer service like some other competitors.

Usually, the trick to finding cheap trans-atlantic airfares is simply to book in advance so once you know when you'll be flying, start searching for the flights.

I need to get laid

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:38 am

All i know is i want to get outside of the US...i think there is more to the world than "just" the US  Smile Hearing that coming from myself who lives in Indianapolis may sound weird but i am young, single, not married so if i am going to explore the world, now is the time to do it  Smile

EddieDude

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:09 pm

My two cents:

I booked 2 tickets for a MAD-LTN flight about a month ago (the flight actually took place on Thursday, July 1st) and the whole process was very simple and straightforward.

Once in MAD, about two hours before the scheduled departure time, I headed with my travelmate to the counter and there were already a few pax waiting, in line, for the counter to open (that happened 5 minutes later or so). During check-in (a very neutral experience, i.e., neither warm and especially kind nor unpolite, just normal) we were informed that the flight was delayed about two hours and we were given food coupons to be used at any of MAD's food vendors (each coupon was good for a sandwich and a soft drink). The flight was indeed late about two and a half hours, which was really annoying. When it was time to board, people rushed to the buses (the plane was not parked at the gate, but remotely) and once the buses stopped next to the plane, everybody rushed to get inside the aircraft and take the good seats (as you know, there is no seat assignment in U2). The flight was fine, although the crew thought that their "good humor" would compensate for the long wait. Anyhow, the plane was a 737-700 in excellent condition and, as I mentioned, the flight was fine (uneventful, the way all flights should be).

As somebody mentioned earlier, if easyJet can deliver the service you need at a price substantially lower than a competing full-service carrier, go with easyJet for sure. If price is not that different, perhaps you may want to consider the full-frills airline (for the miles, the soft drink service... I don't know).

Finally, I just checked the U2 site and they mention that they have a very good percentage of punctuality, so maybe I was just unlucky.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

SafetyDude

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:24 pm

but take it from me Britania are on Airline over here, maybe we are weeks/months ahead with the scheduling?
Okay, well, I have only seen two episodes so far, so things could probably change soon.  Laugh out loud

-Will

ANA

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:56 pm

767lover, the key with easyJet is to book early to get the best price. After that it's all fine.

Jaspike

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:25 pm

Never flown with them but as safetydude says they along with Britania
I believe that only EasyJet is on "Airline UK".

The 9th series of Airline is being filmed, Britannia was only in the first couple of series.. or maybe just the first. I'm pretty sure Monarch was on a different programme, Holiday Airline.
Looks like the Americans are being shown newer programmes where easyJet is featured.

Tom

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:19 pm

Re: If you want good service and no delays, go for Ryanair!

If you want to actually land in the city you booked your flight too, go for Easyjet ! I fly U2 10-12 times a year, and they are fine, some delays but never very long, and they are usually up front about it. The aircraft are all pretty new and shiny, and the crew are generally fine.

A word of warning - do not even think about booking connecting flights on any UK LCC - it is not a concept they are familiar with. If you do, leave yourself a minimum of 3 hours between flights, because you will need to claim and recheck luggage for each segment (no through check-in, no through tagging).

The Eurailpass is all very well if you have all the time in the world, and don't mind sleeping on the platform at Lille and other salubrious locales. Trains are fine for scabby backpackers who know no better, but even Ryanair is more upmarket than that.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers