tranceport

Abbotsford (YXX) - 360 Takeoff Turn

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:55 am

Abbotsford (YXX) is located about 34 nautical miles east/southeast of Vancouver (YVR). A few times when I have flown WestJet out of YXX to an eastern Canadian city, we have taken off in an easterly direction, and then the plane banks hard to the right and does a 360 degree circle while gaining altitude. You actually end up flying over YXX, or seeing it outside the window from a considerable altitude.

Why does this type of flight maneuver occur? Someone told me once that it was to get YXX traffic coordinated with traffic coming from YVR.

Can anyone confirm this? Do the mountains to the east of YXX have any significance?

Are there any other airports out there where a similar situation occurs?

[Edited 2004-07-26 01:58:12]

Jayce

RE: Abbotsford (YXX) - 360 Takeoff Turn

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:03 am

I don't have a copy of the Standard Instrument Departures (SID's) from YXX on me, but they may include the YVR VOR or White Rock NDB, both of which are located to the west of the field.

This would explain why the aircraft first head towards the west before proceeding on course.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

KAUST

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:49 am

Haha when I read the "360 Takeoff Turn" I was thinking on the runway.....I was going to say, I've heard of backtracking but that would take the cake!
As long as the pilots don't get too dizzy 9-p
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Tennisace

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:28 pm

I'm almost positive that if you depart Runway 07 in CYXX eastbound, then the standard departure is a screaming right turn back southwest bound to stay clear of all the hills/mountains out to the east. Then ATC can either give the aircraft a right or left turn, but continuing a right turn (a 360 essentially) would keep it more clear of American airspace. Cheers!

Top Gun

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:08 pm

I've flown of that airport half a million times. The latest SID calls for a minimum climb gradiant of 450ft/nm to 4000. Climbing right turn to 202 then vector to asigned route. The reason for the right turn is to get to the MEA for whatever route that will take you east from which ever navaid. As for airspace, it's actually Victoria terminals over the northern portion of NW Washington.

When I first flew out of there it was the Abby 3 departure, now its the abby 6. Good old times.