mkeflyer717

Your Hometown Complaints

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:45 am

What do you hate most about your hometown airport?
Here at MKE its got to be all those rj's and not much mainline service!!
Avoid the Chicago ORDeal!! Fly MKE!

PIT757

RE: Your Hometown Complaints

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:48 am

No Southwest Airlines at PIT!

N766UA

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:51 am

Too many friggen RJs!!

(Mind you I like the ERJ, I'd just rather see more 757s or 737s.)
This Website Censors Me

usnseallt82

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:55 am

ABI just blows altogether. Although, its a great starting point for flight training in private outfits, primarily because its Class C with a fully functional airport but with very little traffic.

As far as one's viewing pleasure goes...drive the extra 3 hours to DFW.

Also, we have Dyess AFB next door which houses the B-1 and C-130 aircraft and many other bases around, all of which fly practice approaches into ABI. So, this softens the negative a little.  Big thumbs up
Crye me a river

tranceport

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:00 am

I can't think of one complaint about YVR.

The domestic and international terminals are beautiful and well appointed. We have a wide variety of aircraft and airlines from all over the world. There are non-stop flights to many US, European and Asian destinations. The spotting opportunities are great, and there are great vantage points for watching airplanes that are about to touch down. Everything about it from the architectural grandeur of the international terminal to the glass jetways is awesome.

Standing underneath a 747 as it whistles overhead a few seconds before touchdown is a thrill you won't soon forget.

Fokker50

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:04 am

That our BOG airport is too small to be the gateway to the entire SouthAmerican region.
Bogota, the South american gateway!

luv2fly

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:06 am

Tranceport

I can think of one, the departure tax that is collected before departure......
You can cut the irony with a knife

NIKV69

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:07 am

Both of my hometown airports, IFP and ISP need more service!!!!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

MoneyShot

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:08 am

I wish there were a non-stop from SFO/OAK/SJC on NW/DL/CO across to DCA/IAD/BWI. Not much of a good idea with UAL already having a hold on it but I would still like it.

ua2162

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:08 am

KOA has everything Boeing but nothing Airbus. While I'm a fan of Boeing, I still would like to see a 330 or 340 from time to time. Let's mix it up!

HlywdCatft

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:09 am

DAB- Hardly anything comes here, just Delta and Continental Express. The cheapest tickets I can find round trip between DTW and DAB are $400. So I must drive to MCO to get cheaper airfares.

spacecadet

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:24 am

JFK is still too difficult to actually get to. Its terminals are inconsistent in quality (some are fantastic, others are run-down dumps).

LGA I have no real complaints about, for the type of airport it is (domestic and short-haul international). Saw the DAL 767-400 fly out of it the other day, man what a sight!
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

MCIB757

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:34 am

MCI--Terminals design.

Tom
"God bless catastrophe..."

Cory6188

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:39 am

EWR has a great hub with CO with extensive service both domestically and internationally as well as a gorgeous terminal, but the waits for takeoff are the pits. I hate it when you inch down the taxiway, being >30 in line for takeoff.

ua777222

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:45 am

CCR - Nothing at all. You just have to be there at the right times. If you're not there's NO traffic whatsoever! Great to see PPL students practice in cross winds. Lately there has been this guy (With a very apparent Asian acent) who has been driving the ATC guys CRAZY!!! He will miss calls, he'll need to have many things repeated, he sometimes doesn't respond to traffic calls! You can hear it in their voices how bothered they are. About 3-4 times now same guy, same a/c, same pissed off controller.

"Ok N9501W (rented 172 from Pacific States Aviation) you really need listen up"

"01W traffic is 1000Ft, 10:00 report traffic in sight"

"01W how do you read"

"01W how do you read"

Gets pretty sketchy from time to time.

SFO - NOTHING WHATSOEVER!!! Love the DC-10's and many 747's. Love the A320's and 737's on 1R and always fun to see the loaded 744's take up most if not all of 28R!

GREAT TOPIC!!!! (though rather common on a.net!)

Thanks again Mkeflyer717!!!!

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

SafetyDude

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:09 pm

NYC: People still complain if certain airports are "New York" airports. Also, as mentioned, some of the terminals at JFK are out of whack with the rest and to be re-done.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

NW7E7

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:21 pm

LIT- Terminal Expansion for future accomodations.(After Oct. 1st there will be no more open gates for a while) The ticket Lobby definitley needs to be expanded. The EDS machines are out sitting in the lobby and it is blocking one of the ticket counters.

TOO MANY RJ's!!!!! There are probably 16-17 flights a day to DFW but there are no mainline flights on AA or DL.

jeffrey1970

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:23 pm

This may be off the subject a bit, but how much control does an airport really have on what kind of airplanes airlines use at there airports?
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Maharajah

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:36 pm

BNA: Lots of RJs. Hardly any AB and Boeing 757s.

NW747400

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:42 pm

At LIT we have no more terminal or ticket counter space available after F9 moves in here , and there are to many RJ's. We don't have any Airbus a/c fly in at all, I would definitely like to see NW fly at least one A320 a day to DTW.
NW747400

usnseallt82

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:48 pm

I think LIT would be a good place for a domestic hub. Since there is plenty of room for expansion, the terminals could be renovated to accommodate more jetways and passengers. This would ease congestion in both DFW and ATL airspaces. Plus, LIT is just as accessible as the others but with much more room to grow.

I'm not from Little Rock myself, but I drove through about a week ago while on leave and purposely went to LIT to check out the facilities. You're right about the RJ's. I think that over the course of about two hours, all I saw were Eagle and Con. Express flights.

Good luck to it though...hopefully it will expand soon!  Big thumbs up
Crye me a river

ConcordeBoy

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:48 pm

Terminal design (in relation to security)

Relative lack of nonstop international service.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MoodyBlues

Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:53 pm

PBI, West Palm Beach

Not enough service to the west coast on Southwest. According to the interactive route map http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/routemap_dyn.html however, that is supposed to change the end of October when the new updated schedule that has been discussed in other threads arrives. I hope that the new efficiencies and the seeming improvements in connections works, because it appears that it has opened up the available city pairs all across the route network. West Palm now connects to most cites WN serve, whereas it used to be mostly the east coast w/ limited service to the west.

No more driving to FLL or more often MCO to get to SAN **does happy dance**

Also I wish we got more large planes, but not to be expected here due to the relative small size of the airport. We do get a Delta 767 a few times a day, but otherwise all smaller planes.

Pluses... 20 mins from my house, you can park on top of the terminal (great spotting spot) and be checked in, through security and at your gate in 10 minutes or less. The flight line is often right over my house, and my work, so I get to watch planes often, including a lot of new winglet equipped WNs.

Lots of LCC service, including Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue. Also Song and sometimes Spirit. Good showing from the mainline carriers also, Delta is dominant, US Air, and Continental, American, and Northwest also present. United is very limited.
Southwest Airlines "A Symbol of Freedom"

clewatcher

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:04 pm

I was reading through some complaints this evening at the airport, most of them are about no eateries or newspaper and magazine stands on landside of security. I have to agree with them, If I was waiting for a friend or family, I would like to sit down and eat a burger while reading a newspaper or magazine.
-Raymond

NW7E7

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:10 pm

Yeah the only problem is that it would take years to do this at LIT(Road relocation, Cargo facilty relocation).

They take their time with everything. After you get those set up then it would be fairly easy. Dassault-Falcon and Raytheon have expanded and taken advantage of the space.

Maybe AA or DL and company could set up a little focus city and be something like what RDU is for MQ.

EDIT: Usnseallt82 you just need to be there at the right time or there will be hardly anything. Early Morning and 2-6p.m. and 8-11p.m. are usually the best times. I try to get there around 5p.m. when the WN gates sometimes get filled up and that leaves one plane without a gate for a while.

[Edited 2004-07-26 06:16:22]

AZjetgeek

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:17 pm

PHX is a hodgepodge. All the attention is being focused on Terminal 4, which houses HP and WN. They're expanding it for more gates for both airlines. The two older terminals, 2 and 3, are the stepchildren at Sky Harbor. I can remember when 2 opened. It was very nice. Now, it's deader than a doornail and dumpy looking compared with 3 and 4.

My main complaint is the unwillingness of the City of Phoenix Airport Authority to make more efforts to attract other carriers, although the arrival in Oct of JetBlue does help. Sky Harbor claims to be the nation's fifth busiest and from the look of the number of planes landing and taking off, they're probably right, but when you look closely, it seems that 80 percent or more are either HP or WN.

It's funny (sort of) how Phoenix's city officials have been bragging lately about surpassing Philadelphia in population. That's politicians for you. They fail to see how far behind Phoenix is compared with Philadelphia, Denver, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, etc.

Long live the RJ!

BA747400

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:51 pm

BOS- continuous construction; everytime I go into the airport, I feel like I have to relearn my way around! That new parking garage is good, but it can be very confusing sometimes: For terminal C you go to one side, E on another, B is down a few stories and across a bridge...etc. But I suppose its like anything, you get used to it. Granted terminal E is unbelievable and the project will look fantastic when its done, its been how many years since this started? I do however like the new tunnel that goes right into the city....big plus.

MHT-NO WIDEBODIES! LOL!

Regards,
Mike

7e72004

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:07 pm

IND...the terminal is at one end of the airport and when you land there it takes almost 15 minutes to taxi back to the terminal...thankfully that will change in 2008 when the new midfield terminal opens  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

Kennedy1

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:17 pm

STL -- where would I ever begin?

ERJ170

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:19 pm

RDU...

Terminal A is too crowded, too small, and too close together..
Terminal C renovations needs to be started so it can be completed already...
Already rename the Terminals 1 & 2 so I don't have to hate the fact there is no Terminal B!!!

Airlines.. add B6, F9, AS, and at least 2 international (preferably LCC international if any are at that point)...

Destination... definitely LAX, SFO or OAK, perhaps Montreal, perhaps somewhere in Mexico, somewhere in the Caribbean, somewhere overseas..

Like the number of mainline, like the number of RJ, wish could see some 170 & 190 already!
Aiming High and going far..

N312RC

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:30 pm

DTW: Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Intl.

Gripes:
Smith Terminal
Berry Terminal
The contract people who work at DTW (cleaners, foodservice, non-airline staff). These people are generally unkempt, lazy, unmotivated slobs.
Overzealous Wayne County Airport Authority "Police"
The damn observation deck in the Smith Terminal has been closed for something like 25 years.

Smith Terminal (yeah, ok it sucks, but the nostalgia!! Just imagine the BOAC 707's..)
McNamara Midfield/Northwest WorldGateway. A world class facility that is currently being upgraded. The B concourse is undergoing a complete reconstruction.
Northwest!! Cant beat the DC9's, A330's, DC-10's, 747-400's... Its great.

N/A

CanadianNorth

Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:53 pm

YXY... We have a nice little airport, that DC-3 on a stick out front, its close to town and easy to get to, a reasonable ammount of traffic for our size, a spot to see the aircraft at the gate, a spot while taxiing to/from 13R, and a trail that will take you along the fence just past the end of the runway, and a beautiful backround to top it off.... but...

-Area past security is too small.
-Baggage area too damn small.
-Customs area way too damn small.
-We rrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy need a second jetway.

And of course the ulitmate dream, having Canadi>n Airlines back!!
CanadianNorth
Way to go, nice and slow, never late, 748!

AirframeAS

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:45 pm

I would love to see AA slash some fares from PHX to DFW and/or Florida destinations.

I would love to see more choices at PHX than HP, WN, AA, AS, UA, US, NW, and DL. And who cares where the 'new' choices would come from or go to. I would love to see jetBlue and AirTran come to PHX.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Ryan h

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:46 pm

Adelaide is quiet and the bulk of the traffic are Qantas and Virgin Blue 737s

Get more airlines coming here or at least Qantas should send some 747s down here.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

JGPH1A

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:53 pm

NCE

- Desperately needs more longhaul service - currently only DL(JFK), EK(DXB) and SV(RUH) - need competition to Mid East, Far East - come on Etihad, SQ, get your act together !
- AF only fly to Paris (with the odd ERJ/EM2 to LYS and other places, overpriced and poor schedules)
- No DOM/TOM flights - have to go to MRS.
- Parking : not enough, too expensive
- Shops only open at 08:00, after most early morning European departures have left.

I like T2 though.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:56 pm

Too many aircraft, not enough space here at AKL.

keno

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:02 pm

Kuala Lumpur In'tl...

I wish the shutte train fare to the city centre is reduced. LCC operations at KUL must be match by low cost city transfer too. There is the coach service, but takes too long.

Also... the absence of BA & QF definitely. We've been a destination for UK airlines since the days of Imperial Airways.

JMChladek

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:10 pm

Well, I like my airport, OMA as it seems to have a nice balance of parking, airline service, security waiting and airport amenities. But, if it were a perfect world, I would love to see Airtran and Jetblue service here to provide a little more competition on direct routes to ATL and provide some non-stop service to New York City (of course CO Express already flies to EWR nonstop). I believe the only LCC servicing OMA is WN right now. Airtran services MCI to the south, but a 2.5 to 3 hour drive makes it cost prohibitive to save a few bucks. And Jetblue would provide nice options for the east coast as well. And on questionable weather days, I would rather have more direct options to the east coast rather then risking longer delays by going through a hub like MSP or ORD. But, admittedly these are small concerns as overall I like the multiple airline choices I have currently.

Only other thing I would like to see at OMA would be checked baggage X-ray machines as right now all the baggage is hand searched. Granted it works for an airport this size, but considering the TSA manpower required for these searches I imagine X-ray machines would be more cost effective in the long run.

icarus75

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:59 pm

CDG airport for all the terminals :
Why the hell is it so long to have the luggages? : On june the 22nd in the morning, arriving from ATL, I waited about 1 hour for my luggage / On july 24th, arriving from LAX and LHR at 1030pm, I waited 45mn.
Why the french customs are so inefficient? Most of the time, only 1 or 2 boots are open and you have to queue a long time when several transcontinental flights arrive at the same time.

Terminal 1 : Old terminal in the design that needs some severe improvements.

Terminals 2A, 2B, 2C & 2D : To small for the traffic, specially during the rush hours.
The places to collect luggages are really to small and they store there too many carts.
Flying is amazing!

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:04 pm

The runway is too small to accomodate widebodies (anything larger than a 752 to be precise) !
Rhaa !

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

yokohama1970

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:08 pm

azjetgeek

how's it going? the south extension to terminal 4 @ sky harbor, will be for SWA. jetblue will use the vacant aloha gate on the south end of terminal 3. aloha will no longer fly into/out of sky harbor.

yes, sky harbor is dominated by SWA & AWA. SWA @ PHX is # 2, just behind LAS in depature/arrivals. of course, AWA & Mesa have large operations.

also, US airways will not offer the PHX-PIT redeye (#174), just the two flights (am & pm).

in terms of airport design, terminal 4 is boring!! terminal 3 is much nicer. plus, they have Wendy's on the north side (delta,NWA & frontier), with a full 99 cent menu & street prices. sadly, ticketed passengers, UM parent/relative or SIDA badged employees only. I believe the COP (city of PHX), set this up selfishly! why not place wnedy's out in the main area for the AA & ATA passengers, their side blows!

i try very hard not to support the HMS HOST eating places (everything inside security). they have incredibly rude employees,who haven't the slightest idea about customer service. BK is the best example, they added the "berlin wall", so that you can't communicate with, nor see the workers. however, you sure hear them bitch & whine!

the A side security checkpoint is incredibly in-efficient & confusing! plus, i really feel for our passengers.. good luck finding your way to baggage claim, when you exit the A side concourse. the former path to baggage claim is now the TSA security screening checkpoint.

a tip: when you get to the top of the exit (left of TSA checkpoint), turn left & take the elevator down to level 1. the stairs staright ahead, take you to level 2 (ticket counters) not baggage claim! the escalators are on the right-hand side, but you have to walk all the way around. thank you City of Phoenix aviation geniuses & civil engineering morons! if you are curious what the A side used to flow & look like, go through the B or C side TSA screening checkpoints.

as an america west ramper, i loathe terminal 4, it reminds me of some drab communist block era building, devoid of all originality & inspiration. simply hideous!

the only acceptable & decent terminal 4 eatery is Oaxaca mexican, level 3 center of terminal 4. my favorite is a chicken burrito "enchilada style" w/ a side of "guac." go figure, nice & friendly employees, un-affiliated with the HMS Host monopoly. if you have time, pick-up before you clear TSA security screening.

my vote is for PIT. 20 years later, still a simple & efficient design. the airside terminal is far & beyond most airports. a core area with retail priced stores & tons of eateries, with street prices. plus, free wi-fi (802.11b) in the food court area. provided by the Port Authority Of Allegheny County. besides, kids love the people mover, between landside & airside terminals.

thanks

tom
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

GSPSPOT

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:28 pm

GSP--Not much to gripe about. We'll need more gate space soon (next 3-5 yrs). We have a BEAUTIFUL landscaped viewing area outside, with fountains, trees, flowering shrubs, etc, but it has this thick iron railing that obscures views and make photography difficult to impossible. I'd like to see that remedied in an innovative way.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

jfklganyc

Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:42 pm

LGA--surrounded by subway lines, yet no subway connection!!! More widebodies please! And can somebody please, please knock down those awful hangars for United/Delta/TWA. They are ugly no matter how you slice it!

JFK--I just want a true hub. DL, AA, are you there?

EWR--I hate people thinking it's New York! Ugh!

PJ

bartond

Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:41 am

DFW:

- No color and/or aesthetic beauty in any area of the airport (aside from the new international terminal but that remains to be seen). There needs to be an observation deck built on top of the new Hyatt or somewhere to catch views of all of the runways on both the east/west sides of the airport.
- AA's domination of every aspect of the airport.
- Lack of the airport's ability to lure foreign carriers. The airport has many international flights but to reach its goal of becoming a true world-renowned international gateway it needs to make the effort and limit the say AA has in everything. Even though AA is an extremely important part of the airport and its future.

smcmac32msn

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:39 am

MSN: Its under construction so its different every time I go in there.... and I work there!!! Too many CRJs. NW, UA, DL all have them. Some of the better A/Cs are the CO, AA ERJs, UA BAe146s, YX B1900Es and DO328Jets. NW has a lot of A319/DC9 traffic also.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Leneld

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:52 am

PDX: As far as it's appearance it look greats, but I would say one of the greatest complaints would be not enough domestic air service especially to the east coast. I spoke to one of the Ports official recently about this problem and she gave the impression that should all change in about a year.

haveric

Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:58 am

at PHL, it'd have to be lack of space between the two main runways. Anytime there's any whether problems, the place grinds to a halt.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the arrival of WN, either. I don't think you could paint an uglier plane if you tried.

Finally, a few more Star Alliance carriers would be great, too.

desertjets

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:01 am

I personally don't see why all of you are dogging Sky Harbor, granted I don't work there or fly out of there everyday, but in my years in Phoenix I thought it was a nice, easy to navigate airport.... albeit a little beige for my tastes. Hopefully the T2/T3 replacement will take the lessons learned from T4 and make a more functional and hopefully more eye-pleasing structure.

Syracuse-Hancock Int'l (KSYR) is my current hometown airport. The only major downside other than a lack of service and a lack of LCC service is that the entire place is a sea of white and grey. Basically the place is a mix of nondescript 60s, 70s, and 80s era architecture. But it is pretty functional.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

USairways16BWI

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:02 am

BWI! : Too many WN planes. it gets very boring. Of course there is the occasional Aer Lingus A330, and the British airways 767. the world airways dc-10 and md-11 are rare. i just wish there was more wide bodies. id love to get regular 747, 777, 0r A340 service here at BWI.

stirling

Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:09 am

SMF
Terminal A Awesome. The precarious stack of bags 100 feet in the air in the baggage claim is an interesting art piece. Lots of room and airy.
Termianl B Dreary. Would not be surprised to see it used by movie productions to stand in for a 60s era terminal. Want to see what air travel was like in the middle ages? Take a trip to SMF.
MOD
4 daily flights to SFO on Skywest. That's it. Nuff said.
SCK
Sometimes we have an airline here, sometimes we don't. Too Bad. Free parking, and a 60s era terminal design that actually works! When HP served the airport, from your seat on the plane, to the seat in your car could be done in 12 minutes!!! And that, was with checked bags my friend!!!
Delete this User

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos