TWFirst
Topic Author

When Did NW Change Online Check-in Back To 24hrs?

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:19 pm

When first introduced, you could check in 24 hours in advance on nwa.com, then it was 30, and then 36.... I just tried checking in online, and it's been changed back to 24 hours? What's up with that?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

SafetyDude

RE: When Did NW Change Online Check-in Back To 24hrs?

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:24 pm

First of all, thank you, as you reminded me that I had to check-in!  Big grin

My best guess is that it was being over-utilized and could not handle the requests, or was being under-utilized and there was simply no point in having such an extended time. There might have also been internal problems when dealing with reservations more than twenty-four hours in advance.

I believe that most airlines who offer on-line check-in allow you to check-in up to thirty hours in advance.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Jano

RE: When Did NW Change Online Check-in Back To 24h

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:37 pm

There was a discussion at flyertalk.com about it. See "TSA Says Maximum Check-In Time, 24 Hours Prior to Departure"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336142

Quoting jjvan from flyertalk.com
TSA Says Maximum Check-In Time, 24 Hours Prior to Departure

The TSA Friday issued the requirement that all domestic airlines can no longer issue boarding passes more than 24 hours prior to departure. This is a change to Northwest's 36-hour advance check-in policy.

Northwest will file for an amendment to the regulation, anticipating that with its technological capabilities it can maintain its 36-hour advance check in allowance while meeting the TSA's security directive.

Until the technology is available and Northwest's amendment is approved however, advance check-in time has been reduced from 36 to 24 hours, effective with the first flights July 10.
The Widget Air Line :)

SafetyDude

Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:47 pm

The TSA Friday issued the requirement that all domestic airlines can no longer issue boarding passes more than 24 hours prior to departure. This is a change to Northwest's 36-hour advance check-in policy.
I fail to see any thought in this. The only thing that I can think of is that they do not want people over-night at the airport, but if you have a 6 AM flight, you could overnight with the twenty-four check-in.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

TWFirst
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:51 pm

Thanks for the info... it would have been nice for NW to publicize the change.

NWADTWFA

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:48 am

This is very unfortunate that the TSA keeps changing things that affect airlines business. It was publicized and NWA issued a statement about how they were going to apply to have the 24 hour rule lifted. It is unfortunate that you were not able to hear about this. I hope this didn't severely effect your travel plans.

Cheers,
NWADTWFA

TWFirst
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:26 am

It's not a big deal... I understand it's not NW's choice, and it doesn't negatively affect my opinion of NW (which is high). However, there is no notice of the change on the nwa.com home page, nor is there any press release that I could find pertaining to it in the press area... SO, I don't know where or how NW publicized it, but I would think the best place to publicize it would be on nwa.com.