PHX Flyer
Topic Author

ATA Airlines' Beautiful New Livery

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:40 am

It has probably already discussed here before, but I was so impressed with it that I feel like sharing my thoughts with you anyhow.
When passing through Phoenix a couple of weeks ago I got - for the first time - a close-up view of an ATA B737-800 sitting at the gate, basking in the glaring Arizona sun. Gosh, what a beauty! The colors look every bit as vibrant as on the picture below. Congratulations to everyone at ATA, who was involved in implementing it - it's really an eye turner. The B738 looks particularly sharp with the long winglets and this gorgeous color scheme. It makes me wanna fly ATA ...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Irish/Cactus Wings

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Cook

View Large View Medium

Photo © Hisham Atallah

petazulu

RE: ATA Airlines' Beautiful New Livery

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:00 am

I agree with you entirely. At LGA, it is the best looking plane on the ramp. I have heard other passengers comment on it too. The other one that I like is Frontiers animal planes. The ATA and Frontier planes are normally side by side at LGA and they remind me of what I nice paint job can do for image.

SafetyDude

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:07 am

I think ATA is a wonderful example of how nice a plane can look in white.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

RCS763AV

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:33 am

I saw an ATA 738 or 73G at FLL, beautiful plane, it was less than 20 metres from me.

jjbiv

Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:00 am

No doubt, the company made the right choice in selecting the "new" colors. They really set the stage for the metamorphosis from charter carrier to leading business-centric LoCo that is afoot at ATA.

joe

7e72004

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:50 am

I miss the OLD colors...the original ones *lol*
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

kevin752

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:58 am

I do think that ATA stands to their slogan "a honestly different airline" with their new livery. However I saw one of their LT1011's I believe at AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA last week with the old palm tree and sun. I like both of those liveries.
Kevin752
"Keep Climbing"

Fly_ATA

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:28 am

It is indeed a beautiful livery!

7e72004

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:29 am

I found a picture of a 727 that i flew on from PIE-FLL back in 1996 with the old livery (gold, blue on white)  Big thumbs up

AA737-823

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:42 am

ATA indeed has a great livery. It's one of the few new liveries that I like. ATA, Frontier, and Midwest are my three favorites. ATA's is snazzy and classy, Frontier's is different and easy-going, and Midwest's is very sleek and professional.

Other new schemes have missed their target. NW's is okay. Delta totally gave up the widget tail- oops. The tail is beautiful, but the rest of the plane plain is too plane. United has a nice tail, but the stripes are horrible.

I hope ATA stays around for a long time, so that I might fly on them. I wish they'd paint an L10 in the new colors, just so we could see it. Not cost effective, but still!

7e72004

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:45 am

The new nwa livery reminds me of the rap group "N.W.A." from the late 80s/early 90s.

wjcandee

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:53 am

I loved the old palm-tree ATA paint job, and really hated the new "corporate" look when it came out. But I have to say that the aircraft do indeed look absolutely beautiful, and I too have heard passengers asking "What airline is that?" (sadly for ATA that they're so unknown). It's a head-turner and a credit to the vision of their marketing folks. It was designed so that business travellers would feel like they were on a real professional airline, and the look (including their setup at Midway) really works.

--Bill

PHLapproach

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:16 am

ATA's current livery is my all time favorite livery. I'm getting a 1:200 model of their 738/winglets delivered in the next few days. I also had a chance seeing their "Beautiful" 25th Anniversary livery last summer at FLL. It's ashame because I didn't carry around Photography Equip like I do now.

PIA777

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:30 pm

It is nice. I see alot of ATA planes when I fly home to MDW.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

OttoPylit

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:56 pm

I don't know, but I'm kind of partial to the palm tree livery myself. Saw one of their L-10s in ATL today by the way. I just think that livery is more appealing than the blue and gold and orange. I am not saying its bad or anything, I just prefer the other image.

Same thing with Frontier. I HATE the new livery with Frontier written down the side in silver, of all colors. Why silver? What was wrong with green, or blue, or anything but silver. With Frontier, I also prefer their older livery, with Frontier written in script on the front portion of the fuselage. I always thought their livery couldn't get any better. Frontier written in script, and in small letters right beside it, "Spirit of the West." Perfect. Now it screams FRONTIER with "A Whole Different Animal." I could maybe get used to it, except for the silver.

Just for giggles, I emailed Frontier when I first saw the livery change on their website. I made it clear that although I think they are a fine carrier, their new livery is not appealing and would not make me proud to consider Frontier as my carrier of choice(like I said, this was all for giggles) because of their tacky new look. Their reply email was, "We are sorry that you are not satisfied with our new look, blah, blah, blah, it has been changed to reflect our new direction, blah, blah, blah." In the end, they basically told me, "Tough luck, deal with it." But I still think Frontier is a nice little airline, and it could be a catchy livery, but did I mention I hate the silver?
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

Tiger119

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:27 pm

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kimmo Koskela
View Large View Medium

Photo © E.S. / FAP - Finnish Aviation Photography

"I loved the old palm-tree ATA paint job, and really hated the new "corporate" look when it came out." The head honcho (J George Mikelsons) at ATA said he never did like the palm-tree livery. He wanted a new, professional livery to draw business travelers. I believe they have that now with the current line.

Here is something to bring tears to those of us that loved the ATA 72's:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jakob Dahlgaard Kristensen

This is the livery I will always like the best though:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rolf Wallner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Terry Hale

Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

legend11

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:33 pm

Used to work for ATA, until right after 09/11/01. New paint was introduced to employees on delivery of the 1st 737-800 prior to 09/11.

They used to operate 16 L1011's, but all but about 5 or 6 are now in the desert. Kept the -500's for military charters, plus one or two of the -100/200's. The 727 fleet has also been retired to the desert, although some have been converted to cargo configuration.

Tiger119

Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:39 pm

"........... The 727 fleet has also been retired to the desert, although some have been converted to cargo configuration."

- I thought a considerable amount of their 72's were headin' towards cargo carriers 'til I saw that picture in the data base.

flyabr

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:32 pm

a 717 sure would look nice in that livery...!  Big grin

PHX Flyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:55 pm

I agree. I hope they make it happen!  Smile

PHLBOS

Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:16 am

The new nwa livery reminds me of the rap group "N.W.A." from the late 80s/early 90s.

Although I did not see the movie, Soul Plane, I read in a review article that the ficticious airline in the film also used the N.W.A. acronym; supposedly it was named after the airline's owner.

In this day and age of lawsuits over naming issues and trademark infringements; I'm surprised that NW hasn't legally cried, "Foul." over the film's use of their 3-letter acronym on another airline... even ficticiously in the film.

Edit:
Back to the topic at hand, TZ's current livery is one of the better new liveries out there. The gold 'ATA' billboard logo on the fuselage plus the dark blue underbelly and engine cowlings help distinguish it from CO's and LH's current livery (which also use a dark blue/gold tail scheme on a white body).

[Edited 2004-07-28 17:42:19]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

electraBob

Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:23 am

I saw an ATA TV ad a few nights ago (first time I have ever seen one of their ads) and they really show off their beautiful livery.....they were advertising their current fare sale...that is one ad I could watch over and over.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

ATAIndy

Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:29 am

I love the new colors, and I think they should paint the L-1011s in it. That would be cool.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

jjbiv

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:08 am

The T.V. ads are new (within the past few months). They are running in selected local markets as well as on national cable channels. Money (especially to spend on advertising) is scarce, but the commercials represent an excellent first effort to get the ATA message to the masses -- even if they are a little hokey.

joe

vanguard737

Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:59 am

As an ATA employee, it's nice to hear all the good opinions of our livery, but what we really need is for all of you to start FLYING ATA or this livery might not be around much longer  Sad Anyways, someone earlier in this post said they would like to see an L1011 in the new livery...well you probably will! Chances are the L10's will be with us for another 10 years or so. Thus...they will almost definatley see the new colors of corporate ATA.
320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 744 752 753 763 772 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 ERJ CRJ CR7

StarCruiser

Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:27 am

I agree TZ's livery is one of the best. Living in IND I see lots of them, but have never flown them so have no idea what the interiors are like. Before I get flamed for not flying the home town airline, they just don't go where I need to go. I have nothing against them. I do like NW's livery as well, but it does remind me of the group N.W.A., and that is not a pleasant reminder.

I hope DL decides on one. Aren't they flying four liveries now, not counting the 75th anniversary retro livery or have they made it down to three? UA's is fine, and I like US's too. AA's is classic and I hope they keep it. Before its disappearance I liked TW's livery. CO's is nice as well, but lose that awful Peter Max. What I hate are those liveries that are too busy. WN's is among the worst, IMHO, and the added blue just makes things busier. Granted their livery does bring to mind the southwest, so I am sure that's why they have it. Outside of the USA I like GF especially, BA, SU and some others.

PHX Flyer
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:38 am

@Vanguard
Hang in there!  Big grin I fly from New York to Cologne twice or thrice a year. If ATA starts the scheduled service into CGN (hopefully from NYC), I will instantaneously become a frequent flyer with ATA.

Meanwhile I am pondering visiting a friend in SFO around the end of August, and I feel tempted to book the longest nonstop out of New York's LaGuardia Airport (LGA-SFO), which ATA has the distinction to operate. The itinerary I am eyeing would give me the opportunity to sample all of ATA's fleet types in scheduled service on one roundtrip: onward on the B757-200, and return on the B757-300 and B737-800.

jeckPDX

Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:41 am

Vanguard737: I am thrilled to hear about the L10's being in service for a longer period of time. I also would love to see an example in the new c/s. I havn't flown ATA since 1996 but it was a good flight, and would not hesitate to do so again.

OttoPylit: You are entitled to your own opinion, but what is so bad about silver? I think the Frontier block titles look much more modern and classy than the frilly script. This also has helped to break up the endless expanse of white on the fuselage.

Just my thoughts and responses

JeckPDX
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

ATAflyer

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:30 am

Hello All,
I am glad you like the ATA colors as much as I do! And the insides of the planes are very nice as well. And everyone should definitely heed the advice of Vanguard737...come fly us! We feel as if we are a jewel waiting to be discovered.
Greetings to everyone from an ATA crew member.
A better way to fly

AirframeAS

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:48 am

I saw the ATA 738 with winglets on a stopover at a gate in SAT on March 31, 2002 on my way to DAL on WN. It was a very sharp looking aircraft and I was glad to see one up-close for the first time. It was cool.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Fokker50

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:07 am

For me the ATA livery is a kind of promotional Adidas sport material. JEJEJE  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fokker50
Bogota, the South american gateway!

jjbiv

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:33 am

The new interiors are wonderful by domestic coach standards.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

View Large View Medium

Photo © Richard Ziskind

Word has it the new business class product will be every bit as inviting.

I echo the invitation extended to y'all by other ATA employees: come give the new ATA a try!

joe

sfointern

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:15 pm

I love those winglets! So sleek! And on that livery! That's more excitement than I can handle!

7e72004

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:50 pm

THe winglets are cool...is ATA going to fit any of its 757s with winglets? I know CO is going to or supposed to.

Tiger119

Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:54 pm

" Money (especially to spend on advertising) is scarce, but the commercials represent an excellent first effort to get the ATA message to the masses"

- Another way to get the message across are those "behind the home plate" boards at baseball games. It is neat to sit at home and watch a game in either Los Angeles or San Francisco and see the "ATA" logo behind the Ump!